Administrator

Posted On:
    4/03/2012 2:26pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Downrange View Post
    Man I just signed up here, not about to get into a battle of semantics or logic with you or anyone else
    Good on you.

Trust me, I have read, re-read, read some more, watched countless youtube vids, read those comments, and more. The consensus is that MMA heads continuously **** on TMA (especially Wing Chun). I have found very few replies where people speak highly or positively of it. Its always "its fantasy, its fake, its set moves, nobody leaves there arm out, yada yada yada." And this is across the net, not just here. And its a put off. The whole "my style is the best" no matter what you train in is really corny.

I thought as a boxer that it was more the fighter him/herself than it was the style. But MMA heads around the net seem to give the impresssion that if you learn the GOD art BJJ, Muay Thai, and Wrestling, you can easily beat anyone because well, you sparred. Im not this is indicative of ALL MMA heads, Im just saying that it seems to be prevalent on all of these forums.

I know some really cool MMA heads and I know some who are douches who couldn't armbar a bag of doritos no matter how much they spar (and in no way am I disparaging sparring, its an invaluable training technique). But since they are all studying the "Holy Trinity" of styles, they are teh l33t.

From the outside looking in (meaning that I don't train in it yet), I see its lacking a ground game, so I committed myself to also learning what the consensus says is a very effective ground art, BJJ. What I have also gleaned is, people need to spar plain and simple. Coming from a boxing background, I couldn't agree more. What I have also gleaned is a lack of rigorous conditioning. That part is easy, I will condition the way I did when I boxed.

Do I ever want to fight MMA? At this point, even though I have been completely turned off by the MMA crowd over the last few days because they think their style is "t3h d3d13st" I can't say that I don't ever want to venture into the ring.

After a few months training Wing Chun, I may have an educated opinion of it.
    Oh wait, you lied.

Posted On:
    4/03/2012 2:27pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Then stop posting. I get tired of every so called TMAer whining about "MMA is not the end all be all that everyone said" even though no one said that and "OMG multiple opponents, street and the deadly" hi five BS.

This is based on the fact of participating in multiple TMA and chun threads where the above excuses are trotted out.
    And I, already, have grown tired of jokers like you spewing the same **** over and over. Unless you or someone else bans me, I will keep posting as I feel. Your attitude is exactly what the **** i'm talking about. Its douches like you who give MMA a bad rep.

And just to be clear, I have no gripes with ANY form of fighting. So cut that bullshido your talking about me whining about this or that, out.

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    4/03/2012 2:30pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Trust me, I have read, re-read, read some more, watched countless youtube vids, read those comments, and more.
    Then why do you assume that Matt Thornton means one thing by his term “aliveness” when he so clearly and specifically defines it differently?

The consensus is that MMA heads continuously **** on TMA (especially Wing Chun). I have found very few replies where people speak highly or positively of it. Its always "its fantasy, its fake, its set moves, nobody leaves there arm out, yada yada yada." And this is across the net, not just here. And its a put off. The whole "my style is the best" no matter what you train in is really corny.
    “My style is the best” is not the same as “that particular style sucks”.

I thought as a boxer that it was more the fighter him/herself than it was the style.
    That may be true within the context of boxing, where everyone (you may have noticed) trains boxing. Everyone, then, comes from a background of alive training, with instructors passing on skills acquired from a tradition of alive training. Of course individual variation is going to matter a lot.

The same would not be true if boxers went up against non-boxers. Then, in the context of boxing, you’d find that certain styles work (notably boxing) and other styles don’t, because they don’t generally train in a manner conducive to good boxing and because their curriculum has not been moulded accordingly.

But MMA heads around the net seem to give the impresssion that if you learn the GOD art BJJ, Muay Thai, and Wrestling, you can easily beat anyone because well, you sparred. Im not this is indicative of ALL MMA heads, Im just saying that it seems to be prevalent on all of these forums.
    Who are these “MMA heads” of whom you speak, and why do you rant at us about it? If you want to name names, then name names. Right now you seem to ignorantly spew indignation at a collection of people who accord plenty of respect to a whole slew of arts outside of that trinity.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/03/2012 2:33pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And I, already, have grown tired of jokers like you spewing the same **** over and over.
    It is no different than the **** you are spewing. You hate the way people post, but get mad when someone tells you to stop posting. If you don't like what you are reading, inferring or seeing STOP POSTING. To continue complaining about it is whining.
    Unless you or someone else bans me, I will keep posting as I feel. Your attitude is exactly what the **** i'm talking about. Its douches like you who give MMA a bad rep.
    Really, you aren't paying attention to the style fields on this website are you? Since when is A Chinese Traditional Martial Art MMA? Xingyi is not MMA. See, it is TMA wannabe douchebags, like you, that don't read the threads that say FIX THIS TMA and it could be good.

And just to be clear, I have no gripes with ANY form of fighting. So cut that bullshido your talking about me whining about this or that, out.
    Or what? You'll continue to make erroneous generalizations about something I do not practice?

Oh nooooooooo!!!! Quit whining.

Posted On:
    4/03/2012 2:41pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is no different than the **** you are spewing. You hate the way people post, but get mad when someone tells you to stop posting. If you don't like what you are reading, inferring or seeing STOP POSTING. To continue complaining about it is whining.
    Really, you aren't paying attention to the style fields on this website are you? Since when is A Chinese Traditional Martial Art MMA? Xingyi is not MMA. See, it is TMA wannabe douchebags, like you, that don't read the threads that say FIX THIS TMA and it could be good.
    Or what? You'll continue to make erroneous generalizations about something I do not practice?

Oh nooooooooo!!!! Quit whining.
    Holy cow, what is the guy in the video talking about???? Aliveness and fantasy fighting, correct???

Furthermore, I made a friendly reply, and petter made a slick remark, thats where the "semantics" comment came from. Next thing you know, It is Fake, steps in with his snide remarks. I never directed anything negative to any of you until you started with me. I was speaking on my experience SO FAR with the forums around the net. I never once said any of you were MMA'ers. I was just trying to speak politely just like anyone else. So now i'm the asshole TMA wannabe whiner because I pointed out someone was being slick with me? Really?

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    4/03/2012 2:44pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have been on this site for a couple of days now and the way people are bashing TMA is quite honestly, a put off. I am getting ready to enroll in a Wing Chun school this evening and you know what? I could care less what people on Bullshido think about the style. I like it and thats all that matters. MMA isn't end all be all but thats the impression I get when reading many of the threads on this forum.
    I never directed anything negative to any of you until you started with me. I was speaking on my experience SO FAR with the forums around the net.
    Please explain again why we are supposed to think that your comments were not directed at Bullshido posters in general.
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”

Posted On:
    4/03/2012 3:24pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Petter View Post
    Please explain again why we are supposed to think that your comments were not directed at Bullshido posters in general.
    First, I wasn't directing my comments at anyone in particular, that's why I didn't name anyone in specificly. In hindsight, I guess I should have been more clear about that. My apologies if came across like I was attacking you guys because I wasn't. I can understand the backlash if that's how my comments were taken.

I'm just a humble dude looking for like minded individuals to chat with about fighting, that is all. I diss no one's style, period.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/03/2012 3:35pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Holy cow, what is the guy in the video talking about???? Aliveness and fantasy fighting, correct???
    There is a ton more going on in that video, but if that's what you took from it okay.

Furthermore, I made a friendly reply, and petter made a slick remark, thats where the "semantics" comment came from.
    Oh no, someone said something "slick."

Next thing you know, It is Fake, steps in with his snide remarks.
    I sure did.

I never directed anything negative to any of you until you started with me.
    We posters are bullshido.
    Quote Originally Posted by Down
    I have been on this site for a couple of days now and the way people are bashing TMA is quite honestly, a put off. I am getting ready to enroll in a Wing Chun school this evening and you know what? I could care less what people on Bullshido think about the style. I like it and thats all that matters. MMA isn't end all be all but thats the impression I get when reading many of the threads on this forum.
    You are put off by the threads, could care less what Bullshido thinks about the chun, and then say MMA isn't the end all be all. Yes, there was nothing negative in that post.[/sarcasm]

I was speaking on my experience SO FAR with the forums around the net. I never once said any of you were MMA'ers.
    Uhmmm you just said:
    Your attitude is exactly what the **** i'm talking about. Its douches like you who give MMA a bad rep.
    Now, how does a CMA TMAer give MMA a bad name? That's rhetorical don't backtrack and try to answer.

I was just trying to speak politely just like anyone else. So now i'm the asshole TMA wannabe whiner because I pointed out someone was being slick with me? Really?
    Yes, pretty much.

Posted On:
    4/03/2012 4:13pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is a ton more going on in that video, but if that's what you took from it okay.

Oh no, someone said something "slick."

I sure did.

We posters are bullshido.
    You are put off by the threads, could care less what Bullshido thinks about the chun, and then say MMA isn't the end all be all. Yes, there was nothing negative in that post.[/sarcasm]

Uhmmm you just said:
    Now, how does a CMA TMAer give MMA a bad name? That's rhetorical don't backtrack and try to answer.

Yes, pretty much.
    Oh goodness fucking gracious dude, why don't you help yourself to a steaming bowl of ****. Now this is directed at you: **** you. Not arguing with a fool so you are going on ignore, something I've never done in 12 years of being on the net.

Administrator

Posted On:
    4/03/2012 4:27pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh goodness fucking gracious dude, why don't you help yourself to a steaming bowl of ****.
    There's none left you used it all in every post.

Now this is directed at you: **** you.
    Oh no.

Not arguing with a fool
    Then don't ever read your own posts.

so you are going on ignore, something I've never done in 12 years of being on the net.
    12 years on the net and you flipped out over someone talking slick? Hahahahahaha......
    Oh and how did the ignore function work?
    Bwahahahahahaaaaaaa.............
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 LastLast