Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2012 11:29pm

Style: BJJ, Krav Maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I attend a Krav Maga school and fortunately I think its a good one. I hope this isn't seen as a thread hijack; I just want to give the OP a comparison.

stray_bullet is correct that, at least at my place, its mostly Kickboxing but don't belittle some of those techniques they teach. I am 6'6", 260lbs and I have tried for example to maintain a front choke hold on a small female and could not. They do work.

My academy has a flat monthly fee with no limit on the number of classes you can take. There is a testing fee, can't remember how much, but it was relatively small.

My place is also a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu school. We are encouraged to cross train, no additional fee, which I do.

Sparring isn't done at the beginner level but beyond that it is. I go in 1-2 times a week to spar. Mostly Kickboxing but it does go to the ground and no one complains.
    Last edited by ConcreteShoeMan; 2/23/2012 11:30pm at . Reason: stupid grammar

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2012 11:40pm

Style: Wrestling/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At my school, we are discouraged in some cases from cross training. " Muay Thai will get you stabbed if you clinch that way" " BJJ is good until someone shoots you in the face" and my personal favorite " Why do anything else, KM is superior to all arts." Yet a Krav buddy of mine got the floor mopped with him in freestyle grappling

Another migrane inducing point is, NEVER GO TO THE GROUND SPARRING. I have experience grappling, and if folks train like this, couldn't they easily get destroyed should our "sprawl" fail? Not to get off topic, but haven't they heard of a re-shot? Basic as HS Wrestling....is to always reshoot.

Also sparring is done at very low force and speed, and becomes unrealistic. But some students still go full force when the instructors aren't looking, and when guys like me get pissed that some asshole is breaking the stupid force rules, and head and arm throw the dude, they get in trouble? What the hell? One of our instructors also incourages people to "nut check" certain students, including me, in the cup at full force, which can end training for the night.

Posted On:
    2/24/2012 12:46am

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Looked up the school (next time just post a link) and I find myself feeling mixed emotions. Clinchfighter's report of the school makes it sound like a bunch of bully jaggoff larpers but the website and videos appear to show a decent Krav/RBSD school... Perplexing.
    http://www.reactdefense.com/
    #!

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/24/2012 12:57am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by HereBeADragon View Post
    Looked up the school (next time just post a link) and I find myself feeling mixed emotions. Clinchfighter's report of the school makes it sound like a bunch of bully jaggoff larpers but the website and videos appear to show a decent Krav/RBSD school... Perplexing.
    http://www.reactdefense.com/
    #!
    Dude, I put a link up in my first post.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2012 12:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This sparring is Tactical Black. Grappling is rarely done here, unlike the video. Ask yourself is it worth 100 extra a month? The regular Krav class is basically hitting punch pads and choke escapes which by 2 years of training I've done 300 times.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/24/2012 1:15am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll officially call this school a McDojo. How much for a super sized #5?

Posted On:
    2/24/2012 1:20am

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Dude, I put a link up in my first post.
    I was referring to Clinchfighter posting a link in the future when asking about a school, I must have missed your link.

Quote Originally Posted by Clinchfighter View Post
    This sparring is Tactical Black. Grappling is rarely done here, unlike the video. Ask yourself is it worth 100 extra a month? The regular Krav class is basically hitting punch pads and choke escapes which by 2 years of training I've done 300 times.
    I'm somewhat confused about how you would have hung in for 2 years if training is that bad, glutten for punishment? Just for clarity sake are you saying that the video does not represent the typical caliber of training or are you saying that is a different program that you have to pay extra to attend?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2012 1:28am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    2 year contract started when I was a freshman in HS, and being a ROTC cadet (left that when our unit, 3026B, got taken off campus) wanted a military system. They locked me in a 2 year contract before I even knew what a Mcdojo was. I would have cancelled sooner, but I was told by a family friend and judo guy to "try out full contact." Well, a while later, after the financial drain, and still not being able to really spar, having to do so at 20%. Meaning my punches land like a turtle covered in pillows, lol. But any harder and I would get bitched out by instructors for "hurting" people. Even though they didn't say a word when some kid almost got ko'd in our class by a "long time practioner."

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/24/2012 1:47am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well now that you know all the scenario stuff, quit and get some serious contact in....and stop playing with yourself.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2012 2:04am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have to find a way around the cancellation fee, which, after using my hard earned cash on rehab for a wrestling injury, becomes a bit of a pain.
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast