222180 Bullies, 3851 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 11 to 20 of 38
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Ashkuff is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    47

    Posted On:
    2/22/2012 2:22pm


     Style: Boxer, Grappler, Fencer

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hiro Protagonist, glad we're cool.

    That said, I'm still not sure what "teh deadly" is supposed to be.
    Is it that the hypothetical "real fight" that we martial artists love to argue about?

    Like,

    "You can't grapple in a real fight, because you might get stabbed."

    "Yeah, but in a real fight, people with knives get shot."

    "Tru dat! Of course, my gun is a pretty high caliber, and I visit the shooting range sometimes. So I should be prepared, so long as I only get attacked in my house, the only place I'm allowed to keep my gun nowadays."

    "Psh. I would Ninjitsu that gun right out of your hand."

    "And I would Krav Maga my gun right back."

    "You'd have to roll AT LEAST d18 agility to pull that off, because I'm a level 10 Kung Fu master. That, and I stole the cloak of invisibility on our last raid, so you'll also have to find me first. So take that, nerd."

    --- Ashkuff | www.ashkuff.com | How to venture out of “armchair” scholarship and into action? One anthropologist tackles business, occultism and violence! He gets spooked and roughed up a lot.
  2. judojeff is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Fargo, North Dakota
    Posts
    192

    Posted On:
    2/23/2012 6:23pm


     Style: Judo

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Knuckle grinds and forcing throws are frowned upon. As is springing leg locks on people, however if you have come to an agreement before rolling that leg locks are cool then go for it.

    That and not adhering to the "tap early tap often" saying in newaza.
  3. V8Eater is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    24

    Posted On:
    2/23/2012 6:36pm


     Style: BJJ, Kickboxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    Where I train, the rule is that everyone goes home with working parts. As long as no one loses sight of that, people can spar at close to full speed on the ground.
    Likewise, The biggest faux pas at my school is not allowing someone the opportunity to tap. Failing to allow someone a chance to tap is met by a stern talking to from the instructor and painful, humiliating, but not injurious punishment meted out by the upper belts.
  4. animlmthr is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    in the lab or in the gym
    Posts
    648

    Posted On:
    2/23/2012 10:23pm


     Style: SAMBO, jiu jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    we have two or three basic rules that address bad etiquette at our school:

    rule #1: The Coach/Sifu is always right.

    rule #2: Refer to rule #1.

    There's a third rule I think but I just go with rule 1 and 2.

    For me (and I speak only for myself now), bad etiquette is characterized by the following behaviors:

    1. Being a total spaz/fight-for-your-life neophyte when free-rolling.

    2. Cornering people when a. you're new to the school (your first few classes there) and/or b. you have no idea wtf you're saying.

    3. This has already been mentioned: going for leg-locks when you have not OK'd it with your rolling partner. It's rude and dangerous. Especially don't do this if you're new at the school. I don't know you. Stop trying to break my ankle.

    4. Routinely being late to class and/or purposely bitching out on warm-ups. Not cool.

    5. Showing up to class without the proper uniform, especially a student who is not new to the school.

    6. Questioning a instructor's technique or anything else the instructor is showing or saying. Wait till after class and please refer to Rule #1 and Rule #2 if you have further questions.

    I have no idea if other people at my school care about one or any of these things. They are pet-peeves of mine and as I such I consider them "bad-etiquette".
  5. Omega Supreme is offline

    Administrator

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    22,950

    Posted On:
    2/23/2012 10:45pm

    staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by animlmthr View Post
    we have two or three basic rules that address bad etiquette at our school:

    rule #1: The Coach/Sifu is always right.

    rule #2: Refer to rule #1.

    There's a third rule I think but I just go with rule 1 and 2.

    For me (and I speak only for myself now), bad etiquette is characterized by the following behaviors:

    1. Being a total spaz/fight-for-your-life neophyte when free-rolling.

    2. Cornering people when a. you're new to the school (your first few classes there) and/or b. you have no idea wtf you're saying.

    3. This has already been mentioned: going for leg-locks when you have not OK'd it with your rolling partner. It's rude and dangerous. Especially don't do this if you're new at the school. I don't know you. Stop trying to break my ankle.

    4. Routinely being late to class and/or purposely bitching out on warm-ups. Not cool.

    5. Showing up to class without the proper uniform, especially a student who is not new to the school.

    6. Questioning a instructor's technique or anything else the instructor is showing or saying. Wait till after class and please refer to Rule #1 and Rule #2 if you have further questions.

    I have no idea if other people at my school care about one or any of these things. They are pet-peeves of mine and as I such I consider them "bad-etiquette".
    Rule 1: I'm right
    Rule 2: I'm right
    Rule 3: Don't argue with me; I'm right.
  6. lionknight is online now
    lionknight's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Wa
    Posts
    1,177

    Posted On:
    2/24/2012 12:32am


     Style: Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Rule 1: I'm right
    Rule 2: I'm right
    Rule 3: Don't argue with me; I'm right.

    New students tend to follow these rules whether they realizeit it or not, students that have been around for a while usually skip #2 and #3.

    Rule 1: Iím right.

    Rule 2: Donít argue with me Iím right.

    Rule 3: Ok Iíll smack you around the mat and prove Iím right.

    Rule 4: Iím right.
  7. Boneless is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    152

    Posted On:
    2/24/2012 1:05am


     Style: MMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    being a bad sport,smelling badly,unclean gi's or shorts

    and upholding the class when the coach talks is an absolute no go
  8. jedtex88 is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southeast Texas
    Posts
    118

    Posted On:
    2/25/2012 3:25am


     Style: Jhoon Rhee Tae-Kwon-Do

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good oral hygiene is always appreciated, but not as much as short clean nails. Only Sabuhmnim is allowed to suspend face contact rules in the heat of the moment.
  9. Nefron is offline
    Nefron's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Posts
    1,587

    Posted On:
    2/25/2012 1:05pm


     

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by animlmthr View Post
    3. This has already been mentioned: going for leg-locks when you have not OK'd it with your rolling partner. It's rude and dangerous. Especially don't do this if you're new at the school. I don't know you. Stop trying to break my ankle.
    Assuming that the technique they are trying to do is legal in competitions, why would that be rude?
  10. animlmthr is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    in the lab or in the gym
    Posts
    648

    Posted On:
    2/25/2012 8:51pm


     Style: SAMBO, jiu jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nefron View Post
    Assuming that the technique they are trying to do is legal in competitions, why would that be rude?
    I don't really care about whether they're legal techniques or not per se. I just like it to be established that we are going for leg locks before we start rolling. Not everyone knows how to apply them in a safe manner while grappling and I don't want to get hurt. Those students that I know are cool, then its all good. We for 'em and it's a lot of fun.

    If a new person has just joined the school or is visiting I don't think you should start going for leglocks, kneebars, heel hooks, whatever. You're still a guest in my eyes and, frankly, I don't know you. For me its a trust thing, thats all.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.