Administrator

Posted On:
    2/22/2012 11:01am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeFan View Post
    Guys, you're all getting worked up over nothing. It's a thread for women to give specific tips and advice to other women, not a sub-forum or sister site.

I think it's a good idea, a lot of girls are probably stop posting regularly because of the culture here. This might be a good way to get them to come back without having to worry about being trolled, flamed, hit on, etc.

If my wife can ever figure out how to get her password reset, I'll see if I can get her to start posting again.
    There's this button you can click on that says "reset password".....I'm so going to harass her.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2012 11:19am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Such as?

Which threads have been started by women posters where all the technique advice they received they've been unable to use because it comes from men and is designed for men??
    First off, I'm not sure why you're getting so worked up over a thread that wouldn't be applicable to you at all. There's a whole thread on "the most beautiful women" that is obviously straight male centered. I don't think any women have raised any issues regarding this or how it's not martial arts related. I could use your argument that google searching could provide solutions/answers to at least half of what's already posted on the forums. While techniques may be doable for all gender types, as women we are going to run into some issues that men don't need to worry about. For example, our breasts interfering with any drills that require pressure on the chest or finding ways to use our legs more to compensate for a weaker upper body (because GENERALLY, women have stronger lower bodies and should use it as a source of power).

"Techniques, tips and advice" for women, but then you cite rashguards not coming in women's sizes as your example of this gender divide on "Techniques, tips and advice"?
    You omitted the "etc." that I put after the "techniques, tips, and advice". I also don't get why rash guards wouldn't be put under the "tips" categoery. But either way, rashguards/gear could easily be categorized as etc...if you want to get retardedly technical about it.

Just googling 'women's rashguards' gets you tons of results, why would you need a forum when google has loads of sources after a simple search?
    Again, your question could be asked about many of the threads on this forum - why do we need a thread (or megathread) on Bullshido's forums on the best gi if we can google that? And why is it over 50 pages long? In fact, there are sites that are 100% dedicated to this subejct alone. I can't say the same for women's BJJ gear reviews.

Most of the women's rash guards that you find on google completely suck or aren't made specifically for BJJ or martial arts. Surf rash guards are one of the only kinds of rash guards that they make specifically for women but they often come apart quickly and can warm the body instead of cooling it. Other rash guards designed for women that are martial arts centered often have obnoxious logos on them or are made poorly. This thread would help provider consumer feedback on products that have been tested by the ones from whom we want answers. The fact remains that many of us use Bullshido's forums as a go to for anything martial arts related. I don't WANT to google for three hours to read a bunch of reviews from people whose testimony can't be confirmed. The awesome thing about this forum is that it's an internal community and there's somewhat of an implicit trust.

As has been said the number of regular female posters can be counted on the finger of one thumb. Simply put it would be a ghost forum, because there wouldn't be the critical mass of posters to justify its existence.

If that's the case, then why not give it a try and see how it goes? What's the big deal if no one posts and it dies after a while?

Also would only women be allowed to post there? How would you police this?
    [/QUOTE]

I never said that only women would be able to post here. I just think it's useful for women of bullshido, despite how few there may be, to also have a resource available to them to have questions answered, gripe about whatever, etc. And, I say somewhat in jest...maybe we want a thread where we can post photos of hot men.

There's a whole thread on the forums titled, "Liquor, Loot, and Ladies", with a description that reads, "laid back posting about cohibas, courvoisier, clubbing, cars, chicks, and all the things that are best in life". While it may not be a male-specific thread, you can't deny that it's a male centered and male focused thread. In addition, I would argue that it's a less valuable thread than the one I'm proposing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2012 11:25am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    for the what, ten people who post here regularly who are female? maybe we can have a seperate forum for people from australasia too. ooh, how about a forum for people who are into jamming slugs up their urethras, probably more of them on here than female posters.
    Well gee, Alex...have you ever thought that perhaps there's a lack of women on the site because there's a lack of resources for them to begin with? If a female googles something and it happens to come up in a google search, she may find it a valuable resource and become a regular poster or member here.

I'm still utterly confused as to why there are a couple of you who have ANY objections to this whatsoever. Your type of post is precisely WHY a thread such as mine is useful. Maybe we want a space where we won't feel marginalized or **** on because our specific questions don't apply to the rest of the group. Hey, if you want me to ask questions about what type of maxi pad is best to use when grappling in the standard threads, I'm happy to do so.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2012 11:26am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it's a good idea, a lot of girls are probably stop posting regularly because of the culture here. This might be a good way to get them to come back without having to worry about being trolled, flamed, hit on, etc.

Thank you. You get it.
    Last edited by GirlWhoTapsBoys; 2/22/2012 11:27am at . Reason: quotes didn't post properly

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    2/22/2012 11:32am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jesus Christ. What's the big deal? We already let them vote and whatnot.

Posted On:
    2/22/2012 11:39am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now now, I think GwtP and all the other women who occasionally come here have to understand that men know all about women's issues and are in charge of how they should be expressed. Women have their own experiences and stuff, but all thought and reason just falls right out of their vaginas and go *spl00t* on the floor whenever they stand up.
    Last edited by Rivington; 2/22/2012 11:43am at .

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    2/22/2012 12:07pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeFan View Post
    I wonder if having one continuous "safe" thread on Bullshido's sea of other threads would really be encouraging for more girls to start posting here regularly.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/22/2012 12:14pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The MMA forum is heavily moderated for gender BS per Phrost. Adgrap, and the basic technique forum are heavily moderated for asshattery in general. Start threads within those and they would be fine.

Starting another forum, can't tell which because GWTB vacillates between both, is fine as long as it isn't exclusionary IMO.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    2/22/2012 12:34pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    GWTB asked for a thread, not a forum. I misunderstood her. Ultimately, there is no need to ask permission to start a thread in one of the technique forums that concerns technique. However, since a thread about female martial artists could occasionally straddle the line between strict technique and technical details pertinent to female anatomy only, I can understand why GWTB asked the question.

So yes, start your thread in the Basic Technique forum if you like and I'll make it a stickie.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/22/2012 12:38pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Her thread title asked for a forum, her post asks for a thread, and now she is asking for a forum.

I think a bunch of people read the title, skimmed the thread, started asking for mods, and the "we need a new forum" monster took over.

I'm being nice no quote blocks.
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast