Thread: Howdy

Style
    TKD, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Howdy

I've been lurking for a while and decided to register finally. There's a lot of great information here and I really like how you insist on backing everything up. I registered and a yellow box told me to start a thread so...

I started TKD when I was 10 at a McDojo in the middle of upper middle class suburbia. There were some great instructors but the whole thing was set up to make money and open tons of schools. I'm currently working with one of the former instructors at his school, where he refuses to give black belts to 8 year olds and constantly says what a terrible businessman he is for not letting people test when they aren't ready.

I realized that, while my kicks and patterns are really pretty, I don't feel confident in my ability to defend myself. I'm sure I'd be fine against some guy who has no idea what he's doing, but I have no idea because WTF TKD sparring is my only real sparring experience. I joined a Judo club about a month ago and I'm doing that as much as I can between teaching and finishing school. I'd like to work in some kick/boxing training at some point but I've only got so much free time (and money).

Looking forward to asking lots of stupid questions.

Style
    Hung Gar
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome! I have a TKD background too, and it actually helped me in some ways with my kicks when I switched to Muay Thai (and held me back a little in others). The biggest difference is the snapping.

Anyhow, I've always wanted to do Judo but haven't gotten around to it. I hope you really enjoy it!

Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido.

Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    You can not intellectualize your way to being a competent fighter.

Style
    Aikido
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    welcome to bullshido.
    It sounds like your former instructor have the right idea about grading and such. What made you choose judo?

Style
    TKD, Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks y'all!

Judo was something I always liked but never knew of any places nearby. I wanted to try something completely different from TKD that I knew could be reliable. Also I have no money so Judo is all I can afford (lol). I was lucky enough to find a club very close to me that encourages randori with beginners.

I've done some basic throws in TKD but I'm constantly being reminded that I don't know ****. I've drilled leg sweeps for years, but I'll **** up O Soto Gari for 20 minutes straight and feel that I'm finally learning something. It has really opened my eyes to the problem with one steps.

I can fall like a ************, though.

Style
    (Beautiful) Spring Roll
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hello Dracula (I mean, like really? :-)),

welcome to Bullshido.

Enjoy your training and you might want to start a training log on here, it can be a helpful thing in the long term.

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf83 View Post
    welcome to bullshido.
    It sounds like your former instructor have the right idea about grading and such. What made you choose judo?
    Why not choose judo? He's already got an (albeit often not the best) striking art, Judo's cheap, highly effective, and just what he needs to learn what real alive training looks like. In my opinion, probably going to compliment TKD better than anything else could.

An idea for you to check out though, Dracula: boxing, instead of kickboxing. I'd imagine your hands and head movement are more lacking than anything, boxing will take care of that, generally for half the price of a good kickboxing school.

Good luck, have fun, and welcome to Bullshido.