Our Sponsors:

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 9 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/02/2012 5:13pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Although they're clearly not exactly equivalent, I don't see much advantage for the FN Five Seven against any of the double column .22WMR semi-auto pistols available these days. Hell, the wide availability of such pistols has led to newly developed, dedicated defensive loads for .22WMR (here's an example, available online for around $16/50 rounds). The .22WMR defensive loads aren't amazing out of pistol-length barrels, but that's pretty much my point about the FN Five Seven too. If you want to go with a rifle round which sacrifices terminal ballistics when fired from a pistol, go with pricing and availability.

The main things to remember about 5.7x28mm, as far as I'm concerned, are as follows:
    1. The ammunition which distinguishes the caliber's terminal ballistics isn't available to civilians in the USA (apart from the usual overrun sales).
    2. The caliber's potential can't be realized from pistol-length barrels.

Far more interesting to me, though still not something I much care about, is the potential of .30 Carbine in a long-barreled revolver. Taurus used to make such a weapon, but they discontinued it due the same weird psychosis which presently dictates their production.

Posted On:
    3/02/2012 6:29pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What I said about not being impressed by most modern polymer rifles applies to the FS2000 100%. I couldn't stand the trigger, and coming from a big Glock fan I'd say that says something. It's kind of fat and slippery if you have hands that sweat easily (like mine). Not particularly smooth either. Not horrible, but I didn't care for it. I guess I'm kind of spoiled by the AR-15 platform, but I've never complained about the AK trigger either so I dunno. I'm also not a fan of the out the front ejection of the FS2000, but to each his own.

Basically the best I can possibly recommend is to go to a shop with a good selection and compare as many things as possible and pick what sticks out to you personally. Chances are I'll have some criticism of what you pick unless it's an AR or a SCAR, but it doesn't matter what anybody thinks if it's reliable and you can shoot well with it.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    3/02/2012 7:48pm

supporting member
     Style: 5.56

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    300 Blackout. That is all.

Posted On:
    3/02/2012 9:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I get the idea the .300 is going the way of the 6.8 Remington, as in it's a hot topic right now but nobody's going to care about it in a few years. I wouldn't mind being wrong about that, though.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    3/02/2012 11:15pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As more people are getting on board with the SBR and suppressors the 300 blackout is going to gain popularity.

What is the #1 complaint about the .223 / 5.56 round? 300 addresses it.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    3/03/2012 8:47am

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You need at least one .22, and that's the only dogmatic advice I'm going to give.

My other advice is not to go out and buy four guns you choose without becoming a shooter first. Go do some shooting, THEN buy one when you have a good idea of what you want, and hold the other three in reserve for the next time you have a good reason to want one. You will probably not actually end up limited to four guns--either you'll convince her to loosen up as she learns more about them, or you'll lose interest, but probably not something in between.

She should understand that there's no gun you can buy that she can't learn to use, and if she really wants something she'll be comfortable with, she should be the one choosing it.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    3/03/2012 11:26am

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Killbot View Post
    Guns, guns, guns....

you should also have a compound bow or crossbow on that list, as well as a giant fucking sword or axe.

okay, I'm kidding about the axe and sword...sort of, but don't underestimate Bows for reliability, recycled ammo and lack of muzzle flash. You're not gonna win a war with it, but you sure as hell can take out about anything with it you could with a gun.

At closer ranges, it doesn't tumble, it just over-penetrates. Quite a zippy little round there.
    Ha ha, don't knock the 1400s longsword. When the world has expended all its ammunition in the apocalypse, the guy with the sword will then be able to dominate the guy swinging an improvised weapon. LOL!
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Posted On:
    3/03/2012 2:30pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Gwinn View Post
    You will probably not actually end up limited to four guns--either you'll convince her to loosen up as she learns more about them, or you'll lose interest, but probably not something in between.
    +1,000. I've NEVER met anybody that went from being comfortable around firearms to being uncomfortable around them for any reason, including people who have experienced negligent discharges in the worst possible way. I have met COUNTLESS people, including my wife, who weren't comfortable around firearms but became more comfortable after learning more about them and getting hands on experience.

Brock Sampson

Posted On:
    3/03/2012 11:39pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
    Ha ha, don't knock the 1400s longsword. When the world has expended all its ammunition in the apocalypse, the guy with the sword will then be able to dominate the guy swinging an improvised weapon. LOL!
    Do you have a Deuce?

You *NEED* a Deuce.

Edit: dammit video problem. Here is the link : [www.youtube.com/watch?v=itE3_p7Fxwg

I have a Deuce hanging on the door to my armory.

Last edited by Yrkoon9; 3/03/2012 11:57pm at .

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    3/04/2012 11:23pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    Gabe, I remember the trigger pull being very smooth on the F2000.
    Quote Originally Posted by zaohu View Post
    What I said about not being impressed by most modern polymer rifles applies to the FS2000 100%. I couldn't stand the trigger, and coming from a big Glock fan I'd say that says something. It's kind of fat and slippery if you have hands that sweat easily (like mine). Not particularly smooth either. Not horrible, but I didn't care for it. I guess I'm kind of spoiled by the AR-15 platform, but I've never complained about the AK trigger either so I dunno. I'm also not a fan of the out the front ejection of the FS2000, but to each his own.

Basically the best I can possibly recommend is to go to a shop with a good selection and compare as many things as possible and pick what sticks out to you personally. Chances are I'll have some criticism of what you pick unless it's an AR or a SCAR, but it doesn't matter what anybody thinks if it's reliable and you can shoot well with it.
    I shot the FS2000 once for maybe 40-50 rounds. Considering how much gun experience you seem to have zaohu, if I were Gabe, I'd go with your assessment.

I personally really liked the front ejection of the FS since, as a left hander, I occasionally get a hot casing or two down my shirt/on my arm with right handed AR platforms. I don't complain when it happens, but it's nice when I don't have to deal with that at all.
    Shut the hell up and train.
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 9 LastLast