Our Sponsors:

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 789 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/01/2012 12:50am

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My wife didn't like guns when I started dating her. Now she isn't against them any longer, but she finds them boring. Still an improvement. Now if only she'd let me buy more of them...

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    3/01/2012 9:01am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    Based on the advice of Bullies here (yours specifically if I recall correctly), I decided against the biometric safe and went with finger combo.

It's a pistol safe.

Disclaimer, my closet is close to my bed and I have practiced this often. My initial time was 12 seconds.

Edit: I should also mention that I have a small motion sensor light aimed at the keypad so I can hit the numbers when all the rest of the lights are off. Yes, I'm serious. I'm working on being able to hit the numbers in the dark so I don't have to rely on the power being on when I want to open the safe.

Some day, Imma build me a right nice compound.
    Interesting. Sounds like a nice setup. I'm not against using a pistol safe at all. It was my first choice for storing my loaded guns, especially when the kids were smaller. I just never found anything that made me happy as far as reliability and quick opening.

The motion light is a great idea though.

Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    3/01/2012 9:49am

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    Based on the advice of Bullies here (yours specifically if I recall correctly), I decided against the biometric safe and went with finger combo.

It's a pistol safe.

Disclaimer, my closet is close to my bed and I have practiced this often. My initial time was 12 seconds.

Edit: I should also mention that I have a small motion sensor light aimed at the keypad so I can hit the numbers when all the rest of the lights are off. Yes, I'm serious. I'm working on being able to hit the numbers in the dark so I don't have to rely on the power being on when I want to open the safe.
    Great ideas.

Back to the original topic, I was just watching a little something on the Steyr Aug, and I was really very impressed. I have no idea on how to get my hands on one or how much they run, so a bit of work is ahead of me yet before I know if this is a viable options.

Things I liked about it: Polymer out the aysh! This gun is mostly plastic, so the weight is apparently good for the size. I also tend to just prefer polymer over metal for feel and grip.

The bullpup layout LOOKS cool, though I've never shot anything like that before, so I may end up hating it. My guess is, though, that it's a comfort and repetition thing, and if you're used to shooting a more traditional system then the magazine changes are going to feel awkward and unusual. Lucky for me I don't have years of experience on an AR or something, so my slate is rather blank. I do like that bullpup seems to make a larger gun a bit more possible to wield in tight quarters.

CHANGEABLE BARRELS! On this gun you can switch out the barrel like a magazine. 0 disassemble, you simply hit a release, pop out the long for the short, and your accuracy isn't affected at all. Rad.

Things I didn't: Apparently the scope's retical is lacking. There is no center point, no dot, no nothing. It's like looking through a telescope. I'm not sure why they did that, or if this is just in the Steyr Aug A1. I'm betting they've changed this since that first iteration, and I'm also betting that you can change the optics.

Who the **** would work on one for me? I don't think this gun is too common, so if something broke or I wanted to tweak it, who knows what it'd take? Which leads me to another point - brand. Should I be concerned about pedigree?

Have any of you servicemen, enthusiasts, or LEOs fired one of these? Pictured above is the A1, but I'll take info on any of these guns.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Flyweight

Posted On:
    3/01/2012 10:22am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We had a couple at the first Camp Skeletor. I really like the idea of bull-pups, but I really didn't like the ergonomics or the trigger on the Steyr. Your opinion may vary, but I highly recommend shooting one before buying.
    :Determined:
    HTFU and join Bullshido on Fitocracy!
    http://ftcy.co/tBAxyj

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    3/01/2012 11:15am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabetuno View Post
    Who the **** would work on one for me? I don't think this gun is too common, so if something broke or I wanted to tweak it, who knows what it'd take? Which leads me to another point - brand. Should I be concerned about pedigree?
    That's a non-issue. Guns are simple machines. Any good gunsmith can work on it for you. The difference between a bullpup rifle and a more conventional design isn't like the difference between a Ferrari and a 1969 Chevelle.

As to pedigree - Steyr has a long and impressive one.

Posted On:
    3/01/2012 2:47pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    That's a non-issue. Guns are simple machines. Any good gunsmith can work on it for you. The difference between a bullpup rifle and a more conventional design isn't like the difference between a Ferrari and a 1969 Chevelle.

As to pedigree - Steyr has a long and impressive one.
    Okay, then. I didn't mean as far as the bullpup design, though, I just meant in reference to its rareness. Good to know, though, in which case after I get my Ruger I'll find a good gunsmith.

And @money, I plan on it.
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Posted On:
    3/01/2012 3:02pm

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I like the AR-15 design with Direct Impingement for rifles. In spite of them being the latest craze, I'm really not a big fan of the piston guns because they tend to get hot toward the front of the hand guard and I like to grip fairly far forward on it for best possible muzzle control. I agree with the trigger on the AUG sucking. One of the best things about Stoner's design is that the trigger is usually very crisp and short.

I know the craze lately has been polymer super rifles, but I've only been impressed by one of them and it was the FN Scar. The other super rifles out there have been pretty disappointing.

Posted On:
    3/01/2012 3:32pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by zaohu View Post
    I like the AR-15 design with Direct Impingement for rifles. In spite of them being the latest craze, I'm really not a big fan of the piston guns because they tend to get hot toward the front of the hand guard and I like to grip fairly far forward on it for best possible muzzle control. I agree with the trigger on the AUG sucking. One of the best things about Stoner's design is that the trigger is usually very crisp and short.

I know the craze lately has been polymer super rifles, but I've only been impressed by one of them and it was the FN Scar. The other super rifles out there have been pretty disappointing.
    I've had a super hard on for the FN P90 since forever, but I figured that the special FN ammo it takes would make it a bad ****-hits-fan gun. Does the SCAR also take that ammo, or does it shoot a NATO round?

<erection>

Posted On:
    3/01/2012 3:35pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabetuno View Post
    Okay, then. I didn't mean as far as the bullpup design, though, I just meant in reference to its rareness. .
    I hear you. You won't throw your gunsmith for a loop though. They've seen 'em. They know where to get replacement parts. If they can't get their hands on a part they can machine it themselves. At the end of the day a gun is a gun is a gun.

Posted On:
    3/01/2012 3:38pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nah, you can get the SCAR in 5.56 and 7.62.
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 789 LastLast