228795 Bullies, 5808 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 6789 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    2/29/2012 9:39am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by vashanka View Post
    Availability and cost. 9 and 45 are available everywhere pistol ammo is sold, and are relatively cheap (unless you live in Kanukistan) and reloading components are plentiful.
    I don't know about Canada, but .40 ammo is just as common in the States. In fact, I'd say you're more likely to come across .40 ammo during the Red Dawn Crisis because so many cops carry it. Dead cops = more bullets for me.

Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    2/29/2012 7:25pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    That's good advice, and advice you don't hear very often. If you keep all your guns locked away, that's okay I guess but don't kid yourself. They are completely useless for home defense. You will never get to them in time if you need them. I keep two guns accessible with magazines loaded on an empty chamber in my house.

The kids (7 and 9) know exactly what they are and where they are. They wouldn't touch them, just like they wouldn't touch a hot burner on the stove. It's really that simple. We go shooting. We've shot bottles of water, spray cans, etc. They know exactly what a bullet will do and they know it will do the same thing to them or their family that it does to those other objects.

I eliminate the curiosity. They know if they ever want to handle a gun I'll stop what I'm doing, unload it and let them handle it until they're done. When other kids come over we unload them and lock them away. My kids also know what to do if they ever see other kids handling a gun without an adult.

Locking all your **** away is for people who have a half-ass idea of what they're doing and people that don't want to make the commitment to teach their children properly, in my opinion. A child's general behavior and upbringing comes into play. I know a lot of people who let their kids run wild all their lives like fucking Lord of the Flies. If you raise little crumbsnatchers like that, I wouldn't want them near a gun either.
    Point taken, but this argument, while reasonable, is why she'd rather have no guns in the house at all. I'll just have to do some convincing. Good advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    2/29/2012 7:42pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabetuno View Post
    Point taken, but this argument, while reasonable, is why she'd rather have no guns in the house at all. I'll just have to do some convincing. Good advice.
    Call me old fashioned. Or just old (mid-thirties). But here's the Yoda-like wisdom I've gained in my advanced years:

Sometimes you've got to put your foot down and be the man. It's your job to protect your family from people who would do them harm. You should decide how to do that properly, then follow through accordingly.

I actually realized this as a teenager. You know how it is. You have a girlfriend and there's some bullshit teenage drama with some other dude who grabs her ass or something. You're about to whoop some ass and she talks you out of it. You listen because she's all doe eyed and has boobies and you don't want to upset her. Then you go home feeling like a big puss. **** that. That **** gets old. So sometime around the age of 17 I basically told my girlfriend that I'm the one who decides when to whoop some ass. And that was that. It feels GOOD!

And I get to go to bed every night knowing my family is as safe as I can possibly make them, not just as safe as someone else says I'm allowed to make them.

Posted On:
    2/29/2012 7:58pm

Join us... or die

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Call me old fashioned. Or just old (mid-thirties). But here's the Yoda-like wisdom I've gained in my advanced years:

Sometimes you've got to put your foot down and be the man. It's your job to protect your family from people who would do them harm. You should decide how to do that properly, then follow through accordingly.

I actually realized this as a teenager. You know how it is. You have a girlfriend and there's some bullshit teenage drama with some other dude who grabs her ass or something. You're about to whoop some ass and she talks you out of it. You listen because she's all doe eyed and has boobies and you don't want to upset her. Then you go home feeling like a big puss. **** that. That **** gets old. So sometime around the age of 17 I basically told my girlfriend that I'm the one who decides when to whoop some ass. And that was that. It feels GOOD!

And I get to go to bed every night knowing my family is as safe as I can possibly make them, not just as safe as someone else says I'm allowed to make them.
    Yes, because at 17, those decisions are the most mature and rational. :p

Look, that may work for you and your relationship, but the fact of the matter is that there's more than one way to skin this cat. And if she doesn't feel safer, then I'm not happy with the solution. She's a rational educated scientist with degrees coming out the ass, so I have faith in her ability to analyze facts, evidence, and use logic. It's one of the things I love most about her. She's also a feisty, rebellious person who naturally bucks at authority, and throwing down the "man" card would not only get me nowhere, but it would get me push back that a civil conversation could spare me.

She has some very rational fears of guns and their safety, and she needs to get further educated. That will be my path. Going caveman on her will not only repulse her, but frankly it'll repulse me too. That's not how I behave, and it would undermine the great deal of trust she has invested in me.
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Posted On:
    2/29/2012 8:05pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    She's a rational educated scientist with degrees coming out the ass, so I have faith in her ability to analyze facts, evidence, and use logic.
    Smart people make stupid decisions every day when they're in unfamiliar territory. How much exposure has she had to violence?

Posted On:
    2/29/2012 8:46pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Smart people make stupid decisions every day when they're in unfamiliar territory. How much exposure has she had to violence?
    Not much before she met me. Initially she couldn't even watch fights. As a doctor, what I do and what she do are somewhat antithetic, but as the years have gone by she's warmed both to fighting and guns.

Smart people make stupid decisions contrary to the facts because they default to some ideology, emotional impulse, or taught prejudice. I have plenty of reason to believe that she won't do that, especially when it comes to statistical and empirical matters.

Posted On:
    2/29/2012 10:14pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Smart people make stupid decisions contrary to the facts because they default to some ideology, emotional impulse, or taught prejudice. I have plenty of reason to believe that she won't do that, especially when it comes to statistical and empirical matters.
    Sometimes it's just ignorance. My wife is a reasonable person as well. She was never against guns. She was just uninterested. Then someone running from the cops brandished a pistol and tried to get in her car. After that, she became decidedly pro-gun and extremely interested.

It's funny how that works. She wasn't a dumbass prior to that. It just didn't really click. Knowing in a logical, intellectual way that violence happens is one thing. Feeling fear provides a whole different level of understanding. And my wife's experience was just a tiny little taste. Some people don't get the chance to have that lesson.

I do hope you can convince your wife to see things your way. Good luck.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    2/29/2012 10:23pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My dad grew up in a country house with a rifle behind every door, literally. He knew never to touch them except when an adult gave him permission. This point was driven home by the threat that things far worse than a shooting would happen to him if he did.

I have shown my guns to my son, but given the fact that males in my family tend to lack any common sense whatsoever until they're 20 something (my dad was a curious exception), he has no idea where I store them. Although he suspects the gun safe in my closet.

I practice getting it unlocked as a speed drill frequently. About four seconds from my bed to having the gun in my hand currently. I hope that's fast enough.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Posted On:
    2/29/2012 10:58pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    My dad grew up in a country house with a rifle behind every door, literally. He knew never to touch them except when an adult gave him permission. This point was driven home by the threat that things far worse than a shooting would happen to him if he did.

I have shown my guns to my son, but given the fact that males in my family tend to lack any common sense whatsoever until they're 20 something (my dad was a curious exception), he has no idea where I store them. Although he suspects the gun safe in my closet.

I practice getting it unlocked as a speed drill frequently. About four seconds from my bed to having the gun in my hand currently. I hope that's fast enough.
    What kind of safe do you have? A big safe for long guns or a pistol safe? Key lock, finger combo, or biometric? 4 seconds is fast.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    2/29/2012 11:45pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What kind of safe do you have? A big safe for long guns or a pistol safe? Key lock, finger combo, or biometric? 4 seconds is fast.
    Based on the advice of Bullies here (yours specifically if I recall correctly), I decided against the biometric safe and went with finger combo.

It's a pistol safe.

Disclaimer, my closet is close to my bed and I have practiced this often. My initial time was 12 seconds.

Edit: I should also mention that I have a small motion sensor light aimed at the keypad so I can hit the numbers when all the rest of the lights are off. Yes, I'm serious. I'm working on being able to hit the numbers in the dark so I don't have to rely on the power being on when I want to open the safe.

Some day, Imma build me a right nice compound.
    Last edited by jnp; 2/29/2012 11:52pm at .
    Shut the hell up and train.
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 6789 LastLast