Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/23/2012 4:25am

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabetuno View Post
    Again, the size choice is about the size of her hands. She couldn't grip down comfortably on a P226 or a Glock 17, and she therefore did less well shooting them. When we gave her the smaller "conceal" gun, she shot much better.
    Sorry, I never saw a comment about her hand size. Maybe it's all this thinking about other **** I've been doing...

Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    2/23/2012 7:32am

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Robstafarian View Post
    Sorry, I never saw a comment about her hand size. Maybe it's all this thinking about other **** I've been doing...
    You mean like beating off to the idea of a chick using a full-size service pistol? :p
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/23/2012 10:13pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by vashanka View Post
    Buy reliable and durable firearms, ones that fit you and that you like. Train with them a lot.
    Get a rifle, 5.56 or 308; get a shotgun, 12 ga; get a pistol, 9 mm or 45. Spend the rest on ammo and mags.
    Why 9mm or .45 but not .40?

Flyweight

Posted On:
    2/24/2012 11:35am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd suggest both a .22 pistol and rifle and a shotgun. Ammo will be common & cheap, and in the case of the shotgun, versatile. The fourth really could be your choice, maybe a full size 9mm or a 5.56/.308 rifle of some sort.

I really can't strongly suggest the .22s enough. I've got a scoped Ruger 10/22 and a Browning Buckmark, both with bull barrels. They are fucking tack drivers and cheap enough to shoot all day long. I bring a lot of new shooters to the range, and they're always everyone's favorite to shoot due to their high accuracy and low recoil. In a GTFO scenario, they would actually be my go-to guns unless there was open warfare in the streets. 8 lbs for 1000 rounds is hard to beat.
    :Determined:
    HTFU and join Bullshido on Fitocracy!
    http://ftcy.co/tBAxyj

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    2/24/2012 4:07pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is an opinion from a gun newb who did this 3 years ago. I bought an XD9 and I put my own AR-15 together. I also bought 1000 rounds of ammo in a sealed case.

In hindsight the only good part of the whole experience was the fun of putting the AR together. I rarely go to the range and I still can't figure out a reasonable way to shoot the AR. Firing one at an indoor 25yd range makes you feel like a moron.

Don't be me. Make sure you are actually going to dedicate yourself to the range time or don't bother.

Posted On:
    2/24/2012 4:40pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark View Post
    Here is an opinion from a gun newb who did this 3 years ago. I bought an XD9 and I put my own AR-15 together. I also bought 1000 rounds of ammo in a sealed case.

In hindsight the only good part of the whole experience was the fun of putting the AR together. I rarely go to the range and I still can't figure out a reasonable way to shoot the AR. Firing one at an indoor 25yd range makes you feel like a moron.

Don't be me. Make sure you are actually going to dedicate yourself to the range time or don't bother.
    I have priorities, but what I really want is a close indoor/outdoor range to fire at. Assuming I can get set up with one, the order of things goes work=training>teaching>shooting>home n' sleep n' stuff.

It's the Ruger 22/45 for me with a buttload of ammo. That'll be gun number 1. Assuming I can start pegging tight groups at range, I'll move on to a 9mm and a rifle.

Now I gotta set aside 250 beans and find a good shop to do a blue card.
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    2/24/2012 11:21pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have priorities, but what I really want is a close indoor/outdoor range to fire at. Assuming I can get set up with one, the order of things goes work=training>teaching>shooting>home n' sleep n' stuff.

It's the Ruger 22/45 for me with a buttload of ammo. That'll be gun number 1. Assuming I can start pegging tight groups at range, I'll move on to a 9mm and a rifle.

Now I gotta set aside 250 beans and find a good shop to do a blue card.
    For what it's worth, many indoor ranges don't allow you to shoot centerfire rifles - just in case you weren't aware.

To money's point about the .22 pistols - I'd have to disagree. I also have a 10/22 and a Buckmark. Like I said, the 10/22 would be a go-to rifle for me but I can't see choosing a .22 pistol if you're limited to four guns. Hell, I'd take two .22 rifles before a .22 rifle and .22 pistol.

I'd gladly hump .45 ammo all over the countryside before I'd rely on a .22 pistol for anything other than plinking and target practice. Just my opinion.

Posted On:
    2/24/2012 11:59pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, like I said, I want to work on my trigger pull and sight picture. The 22/45 is cheap and cheap to load, so that'll get the job done for me at the moment. If I'm still limited to 4 guns I can always sell it. By then, with any luck, I'll be comfortable and on-target shooting with a 9.

Posted On:
    2/25/2012 3:28am

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, like I said, I want to work on my trigger pull and sight picture. The 22/45 is cheap and cheap to load, so that'll get the job done for me at the moment. If I'm still limited to 4 guns I can always sell it. By then, with any luck, I'll be comfortable and on-target shooting with a 9.
    A real good way to work on trigger pull involves a slightly blunt pencil, masking tape, a piece of paper and your pistol. This will not work with any firearm that has a magazine disconnect. Hang the piece of paper on the wall, make sure your pistol is unloaded and cocked. Put the pencil down the barrel, point forward. Point the pistol at the paper and pull the trigger. If your trigger pull is on, the pencil should leave a single point on the paper. Here's a chart that'll show you what's going on. It's designed for actual shooting so some of it won't apply for this drill. The first is for right handers, the second for southpaws. It won't do everything for you, but it's a good start.

Posted On:
    2/25/2012 4:27pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by wetware View Post
    A real good way to work on trigger pull involves a slightly blunt pencil, masking tape, a piece of paper and your pistol. This will not work with any firearm that has a magazine disconnect. Hang the piece of paper on the wall, make sure your pistol is unloaded and cocked. Put the pencil down the barrel, point forward. Point the pistol at the paper and pull the trigger. If your trigger pull is on, the pencil should leave a single point on the paper.
    Those images aren't showing up well for me, so I'll just add that editions of US Army Field Manual FM 23-35 published somewhere between 1940 and 2003 refer to this as the “Pencial Triangulation Exercise.” I could be more specific if I had access to my Linux files, but for now I'll just say I'm pretty sure the edition I have was published in the 1980s.
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast