Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/23/2012 5:24pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_stl View Post
    ah- was that yogi diaz?
    Yeah Yogi was there and a guy named John (I think?) led the class.

Quote Originally Posted by 1evilgenius View Post
    I look forward you hearing how the sparring works out for you. I currently train Bahad Zubu which is a Kali Ilustrisimo based art. Prior to BZ I did serrada, largo mano, and a few other styles blended in to the mix. Just curious if the Serrada empty hand was a seperate style or a translation of the stick work to empty hands?
    As far as I know the empty hand was part of the same Serrada system. I was shown how the knife could be incorporated into the drill, not sure about stick though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2012 10:07am

Style: fma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jspeedy View Post
    Yeah Yogi was there and a guy named John (I think?) led the class.
    i'm curious about what they taught, and what your impressions were.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2012 1:18pm

Style: Bahad Zubu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    about 10.46 you can start to see some concepts of GAT including some larga form Guro Eugenio. I'm milling about in the background somewhere in this video.
    http://youtu.be/agwKj7hdN7g

Posted On:
    2/26/2012 6:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i'm curious about what they taught, and what your impressions were.
    They went over some of the basic Garimote patterns similar to what was demonstrated in the vid linked by evilgenius. My impression of the system? I liked how they described it as a full contact system. I'm curious how they actually train full contact. I don't really know much about the largo style I'm sure it has it's applications like most FMA styles. The only thing I wonder about largo styles is what do you do when you don't have the optimal range. BJJ has demonstrated how easy it is to take away range. I would think an experienced escrimador would find it easy to close the gap and take away the largo players advantage. If it were more convenient i'd train with them more frequently.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/27/2012 10:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They went over some of the basic Garimote patterns similar to what was demonstrated in the vid linked by evilgenius. My impression of the system? I liked how they described it as a full contact system. I'm curious how they actually train full contact. I don't really know much about the largo style I'm sure it has it's applications like most FMA styles. The only thing I wonder about largo styles is what do you do when you don't have the optimal range. BJJ has demonstrated how easy it is to take away range. I would think an experienced escrimador would find it easy to close the gap and take away the largo players advantage. If it were more convenient i'd train with them more frequently.
    did they describe it as only largo? did they offer to spar with you, or did you not ask them how they train full contact?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/27/2012 10:08am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1evilgenius View Post
    about 10.46 you can start to see some concepts of GAT including some larga form Guro Eugenio. I'm milling about in the background somewhere in this video.
    http://youtu.be/agwKj7hdN7g
    that video was taken in chicago - did you drive down from minnesota?

Posted On:
    2/27/2012 6:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    did they describe it as only largo? did they offer to spar with you, or did you not ask them how they train full contact?
    I got the impression that Garimote is mainly a largo style but I could have missed something. I didn't ask about the sparring. I didn't think to ask what he (John) meant by "full contact system" until after the fact I assumed he was referring to sparring.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2012 10:12am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I got the impression that Garimote is mainly a largo style but I could have missed something. I didn't ask about the sparring. I didn't think to ask what he (John) meant by "full contact system" until after the fact I assumed he was referring to sparring.
    the focus is in largo, but there is also corto. i was just curious what you were told. i can't speak to what john meant, but there is full contact sparring in garimot. as far as your question about what does a largo player do when not in the optimal range, that's a long discussion. any good largo system will have footwork designed to compensate for someone attempting to close to corto, so it shouldn't be that easy. it does happen, of course, and again, a good system should have some corto to deal with the eventuality. garimot's corto is different from balintawak or serrada, though. one of the things that i've found is that when sparring without headgear, helmet, or mask, it's a lot easier to maintain largo. :)

tim

Posted On:
    2/28/2012 6:09pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can see the advantage of largo especially without headgear. That's one of my concerns about Balintawak the majority of a time the drills start from medio to corto range, there's little if any attention on how to get to that closer range. The fear of getting your head split open(without head gear) is enough to keep a guy from brushing off that first strike to rush in to corto range.

How do Garimot players spar? Do they use headgear and pads, padded sticks, rattan sticks? What kind if ruleset? No head shots, is groundfighting or clinching allowed?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/28/2012 10:58pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can see the advantage of largo especially without headgear. That's one of my concerns about Balintawak the majority of a time the drills start from medio to corto range, there's little if any attention on how to get to that closer range. The fear of getting your head split open(without head gear) is enough to keep a guy from brushing off that first strike to rush in to corto range.
    I often have the opposite problem you would think in largo - people back away a lot, so I end up moving forward while staying in largo. It's all about proper footwork and distance.

How do Garimot players spar? Do they use headgear and pads, padded sticks, rattan sticks? What kind if ruleset? No head shots, is groundfighting or clinching allowed?
    For beginners, one-inch close-cell foam padding over the rattan. Headgear optional. Body and head armor is discouraged, but if using it will get you to spar, then it's OK. For advanced, half-inch padding, no armor. Eventually the goal is no padding, no armor.

Basic rules are limited time in corto, no thrusts, no grappling. Those can be altered, but generally the format is altered instead - fighting on the bench, multiple opponents, two on two, etc.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast