Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    2/26/2012 10:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Tortelli View Post
    I think I get what you're saying, in regards to the vastness of the cosmos, and the scale/complexity that the creator of a such a thing would have to operate at, versus two yahoos in short shorts trying to choke and punch each other.

On the other hand, considering the vast size of the universe, the teeming swarms of humanity, so on, and so forth, which events in the life of one teensy tiny little speck of dust homo sapiens would register be a blip on His radar?

Either you believe in a creator that takes an interest in every little trial and tribulation suffered by every teeny tiny speck of his creation, yes even including one's performance in pugilism, which is most forms Christianity, in which case the Other Henderson's remarks shouldn't seem that far out of line, or you don't, and he just seems silly for attributing to a non existent Being something it had nothing to do with, yes?

(OK, OK, there's a BIIIGGGG spectrum in between those two extremes, ranging from attributing it to Frankie being punished for being Jimmy Hoffa in a past life, to Dark Henderson having fewer thetans, to not being sure if the whole fight actually happened or was just an illusion your brain created while it was stuck in a jar in some science lab. But please allow this two choice option. Just this once. Okay?)

I mean, we have to put up with fighters shilling Catch wrestling (Josh Barnett), Communism (Jeff Monson) and Steven Seagal (BLAAAACCCK HOUUUSSEEE!!), not to mention various companies that sell stupid looking T-shirts and terrible tasting energy drinks. So what's the harm if some of them want to give Jesus a plug?
    Because it's petty and idiotic.

Why should I allow you those two ridiculous options? Because it suits your argument? You've managed to leave out the Deist perspective, which is that god is the prime mover of the universe, but plays no direct intervening role in its goings on. That's what most every one of the founders of this country believed, and I think it's a much harder argument to counter, since it suits the evidence at hand.

But fine, let's take your two incredibly stupid options. In scenario 1, god takes interest in every action and event in human history. And then he what? Only intervenes when someone yells his name enough and points to the sky? And all those other kids who are praying for a morsel of food, he decides in his infinite wisdom to pass on answering those wishes, while Benson Fucking Henderson, the sponsored American-born pro athlete gets the extra touch of Jesus in the judges scorecards so he can yell "praise the lord" into the camera on national television. Well, that's one capricious petty asshole of a god you've just outlined. I'd rather he didn't exists, even if I knew he did.

But hey, if you want to compare hocking t-shirts and Jesus to the American public, I won't argue. I will say though that at least with one of those you get a fucking use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/26/2012 10:54pm

Style: Issh"i"nryu fixed....

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought it was hilarious that Shields landed 3x as many significant strikes yet he was the one bleeding, and even more hilarious that he won with his striking... I don't get why Sexy was so timid, it was like he was looking for the shot that Ellenberger landed and couldn't find it so he was lost on what to do.

I can't believe people are argueing that Edgar won. It was a good fight, but not controversial in the slightest.

Posted On:
    2/27/2012 2:50am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did Frankie do anything with those kicks he caught? Joe kept going on about landing a punch while holding the leg but I didn't see it. Why not do a takedown from there?

Posted On:
    2/27/2012 7:48am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    Did Frankie do anything with those kicks he caught? Joe kept going on about landing a punch while holding the leg but I didn't see it. Why not do a takedown from there?
    I think because Benson's balance is absurd. He was kicking the other leg (not trying to sweep him though), and a few times he went for the takedown but didn't get it.
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/27/2012 9:18am

Style: FMA, MT & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabetuno View Post
    I swear to ****, if one more athlete gets the adjective "humble" ascribed to them because they think god intervenes on their personal fucking sporting endeavors I'm gonna kick a dictionary through the face of the next ESPN anchor I see.
    That's just one more aspect of american culture that makes you people seem like aliens...

Not the kicking a dictionary through random ESPN anhors face, that's seems totally reasonable, the "Gaawwwwd has chosen ME, hallelja!! Oh, he's such a humble athlete..." bit.

Posted On:
    2/27/2012 10:04am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nifoc View Post
    That's just one more aspect of american culture that makes you people seem like aliens...

Not the kicking a dictionary through random ESPN anhors face, that's seems totally reasonable, the "Gaawwwwd has chosen ME, hallelja!! Oh, he's such a humble athlete..." bit.
    Okay, I was gonna reply and drag this on but we're offish off topic. Maybe I'll make a thread. Or maybe I'll just skip into traffic.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/27/2012 10:54am

Style: Hiatus for Gen. Fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd like to keep religion out of the octagon, myself, but when they say humble I think they mean it in the sense that the fighter is not taking credit for his own victory and abilities. If Jesus were just some Spanish guy who happened to be his boxing trainer, people would think that sort of thing humble (if a bit oddly worded).

Posted On:
    2/27/2012 11:10am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CNagy View Post
    I'd like to keep religion out of the octagon, myself, but when they say humble I think they mean it in the sense that the fighter is not taking credit for his own victory and abilities. If Jesus were just some Spanish guy who happened to be his boxing trainer, people would think that sort of thing humble (if a bit oddly worded).
    No matter how you slice it, he's saying he was divinely chosen over his opponent(s). It's a lot of things, but humble ain't one of them.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/27/2012 11:46am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    @ Nifoc:
    I'd rather my country was known for being religious fanatics than being the bankers for every 3rd world dictator and terrorist mastermind...wait, that's Switzerland...er, losing lots of war swith Russia..no, that's Finland...being crazed Viking beserkers who...no, that would be Denmark and Norway...does Sweden have any distinguishing national characterstics other than being cold and full of Swedes? Somebody help me out here.

@ Gabetuno
    As I see it, the Deist deity doesn't really come off that great compared to His (Her/Its/Their?) Theist counterpart. At least the Theist One does lend a hand to some of His creations some of the time. I don't see much difference in the Deist idea of a creator and the guy who knocks a girl up and them skips town, leaving the kid to either flourish or wither with no input from him.

Of course the counter arguement is that it's stupid to try and hold the Creator of The Universe to any kind of human standard of morality, but that also undercuts your Ben Henderson > Leukemia patient Screwed Up Priorities arguement. And is the first step on a dark road that leads to Lovecraftian Protaganist babbling.

On Topic:
    Considering how Fitch and Okami both got blasted out of title contention by guys with beards a family of great horned owls could roost in, I am considering not shaving for 3-4 months to see if it gives me knockout power.
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 9101112 LastLast