Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    3/08/2012 3:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CNagy View Post
    Where did you get that idea? The problem is that the next who knows how long has the potential to be more or less a cluster of matches between Bendo, Edgar, Diaz, Miller, and Pettis.

First, we've got Edgar v Bendo II. Best case scenario is that Bendo wins again. Next best is that Edgar wins so dominantly that we don't end up in the worst case scenario: Edgar v Bendo III.

Then we've got Diaz v Miller. Best case scenario is that Diaz wins and fights the winner of Edgar v Bendo II. Next best is that Miller wins, and we see Miller v Pettis for a title shot. Worst case scenario is that Diaz wins and Edgar blahs out a decision, and Nate gets the "Sorry, Pettis, but the Maynard fight was a draw..." treatment. Diaz could fight Pettis, but if he beats Miller then he already has the most impressive winning streak of any of the contenders--at three in a row--and would have the strongest case for #1 contender status.

Who else can we add into this equation? Guillard is coming off 2 losses. Cerrone is coming off a loss. Lauzon just lost. Maynard is coming off a loss. Guida is coming off a loss. There are some prospects that have done well but it's a step up in competition for them.

So no, the division isn't cleared out but the time spent on Maynard and Edgar really muddied the waters for any clear cut line of contention and it could take a lot of time to untangle the mess at the top of the division. Or the UFC could just hand out whatever title fights are convenient. That'd probably work too.
    Why are you complaining about having a 5 way heat for title contention? How is this in any way bad or boring?

Why are you giving preference to certain match ups? As long as the fights are good battles rather than point-fests, so what?

None of these guys would be ridiculous for title contention. I think Pettis needs another win or two, and Miller, Diaz, and Edgar are all worthy of shots. Matchmaking isn't a science or a numbers-game. Fighter-draw, excitement, and B.A.-ness should all be considered as well as record.
    Last edited by Gabetuno; 3/08/2012 3:21pm at .
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/08/2012 4:34pm

Style: Hiatus for Gen. Fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Because it puts the rest of the division on hold for a while? Do you see a means by which anyone else breaks into title contention in the next year? We're probably just going to have to disagree here and leave it at that. I like most of the matchups I've named but that doesn't mean the title scene can't also be a mess at the moment. I will say that if Edgar-Bendo II is a PPV, I'm not buying.

Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    3/08/2012 5:00pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CNagy View Post
    Because it puts the rest of the division on hold for a while? Do you see a means by which anyone else breaks into title contention in the next year? We're probably just going to have to disagree here and leave it at that. I like most of the matchups I've named but that doesn't mean the title scene can't also be a mess at the moment. I will say that if Edgar-Bendo II is a PPV, I'm not buying.
    That's fine, a lot of people didn't like that decision or that fight, and I frankly don't know why. It was high paced, a good amount of damage was done, and there were some badass techniques on display. I liked it, I'd watch it again if the rest of the card was good.

I guess it depends on what you call a 'mess'. The problem you're describing is just a byproduct of the sport's popularity. More and more studs are going to solidify their spots as top contenders, and there will be a more vicious power grab at the bottom of the ladder. Remember, even if Guillard lost his last two, he lost them to Miller and Lauzon, some serious competition. Prior to that he had a 5 fight win streak, which ended with a decision over Jeremy Stephens (that dude is no fuckin' joke), and KO's of Dunham and Roller. No fresh meat is gonna roll past Guillard, Lauzon, or Maynard and get into the top ten without being a serious ************.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112