Light Heavyweight

Style: 
    Short Fist Boxing

Posted On:
    2/21/2012 2:12pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not a fan of this sort of thing either, as it is a poor reflection of the sport and the athletes involved
    Unfortunately, boxing has long relied on antics outside the ring to promote itself..and always will.
    I also hope Chisora is faced with a stiff punishment. However, with the sport's governing bodies as fragmented as they are, a ban in one state/country/region will not mean that he cannot fight somewhere else.

At the end of the day, boxing is a sport. When the fight is finished, fighters show respect for each other and leave it all in the ring

Most of the time..not all the time, unfortunately.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Registered Member

Style: 
    Western Boxing, Tai Chi

Posted On:
    2/21/2012 3:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZ View Post
    Unfortunately, boxing has long relied on antics outside the ring to promote itself..and always will.
    I have no problem with "selling the fight". I do have a problem with criminal behaviour being used to hype a fighter.

This isn't the first time Chisora has done something like this. He bit Paul Butlin in a fight back in 2009.

His personal life also reveals Chisora to be a real piece of work. He's known to have slapped and beaten his girlfriend over a text message. As a youth, he used to steal cars and go for joyrides.

On other message boards (not this one since it's apparent Bullshido is much classier), Chisora's criminal behaviour is already being celebrated. He's being compared to Tyson. It's being argued that boxing needs a character who's the "baddest man on the planet".

However, this isn't theater. Chisora is an altogether rotten thug.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZ View Post
    I also hope Chisora is faced with a stiff punishment. However, with the sport's governing bodies as fragmented as they are, a ban in one state/country/region will not mean that he cannot fight somewhere else.
    The German Federation of Boxing is looking to ban him from German soil. If he's banned in Britain, that removes two places that promise a high gate for a Chisora fight. I doubt he's well known enough in America to command TV network attention.

Posted On:
    2/21/2012 5:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've a question about out-of-ring antics and "bad boy" behaviour: Who was the first boxer to use such tactics as a means to hyping fights? And who was the first MMA fighter to do the same effectively? Tito Ortiz?

Light Heavyweight

Style: 
    Wrestling

Posted On:
    2/21/2012 6:54pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've a question about out-of-ring antics and "bad boy" behaviour: Who was the first boxer to use such tactics as a means to hyping fights? And who was the first MMA fighter to do the same effectively? Tito Ortiz?
    It can sometimes be hard to distinguish colorful behavior as fight selling. Tank Abbott got into a fight outside the cage in basically every UFC event he showed up at back in the day, but he was presumably doing stuff like that his entire life. John L. Sullivan also liked to get drunk and beat the **** out of people in bars.

I know Gary Goodridge was actually inspired by Tank Abbott to create an on-camera persona for himself and come up with his nickname "Bug Daddy." As a matter of fact, his Kuk Sool Won credentials were invented as well.

I have emotions.

Posted On:
    2/21/2012 7:28pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    I know Gary Goodridge was actually inspired by Tank Abbott to create an on-camera persona for himself and come up with his nickname "Bug Daddy." As a matter of fact, his Kuk Sool Won credentials were invented as well.
    No kidding, the guy clearly comes from an Arm Wrestling background anyway.

(tab) Forum > Forum Actions > General Settings > in Thread Display Options > Number of Posts to Show Per Page: 40

pro nonsense self defense

Style: 
    FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Posted On:
    2/21/2012 7:41pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Moment View Post
    John L. Sullivan also liked to get drunk and beat the **** out of people in bars.
    In the spirit of the question, its worth noting that he publicly challenged any man in America in a fight for $500.

Registered Member

Style: 
    Western Boxing, Tai Chi

Posted On:
    2/21/2012 8:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you want to go deep into history, in the 18th century there was James Field who used his criminal infamy as a platform to promote his boxing career. Eventually, his past caught up with him and he was hanged for robbery.

Posted On:
    2/21/2012 9:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpoet View Post
    His personal life also reveals Chisora to be a real piece of work. He's known to have slapped and beaten his girlfriend over a text message.
    I always wanted the ability to punch people over TCP/IP, but text messages would do too.

Light Heavyweight

Style: 
    Wrestling

Posted On:
    2/21/2012 9:57pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In the spirit of the question, its worth noting that he publicly challenged any man in America in a fight for $500.
    That was how you did it back in the day, though:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...FpZjHKTW8pl8fQ

Registered Member

Style: 
    lazy

Posted On:
    2/22/2012 1:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good ol' Jack Dempsey was known for his barroom brawling. Although once he became a real pro he did clean his act up stating that streetfighting is for mugs and drunks (or something like that).
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast