Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. #1
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Muay Thai and Boxing combination?

    I am going to start taking Muay Thai lessons and I watched some Muay Thai fights, and I noticed that they do not punch very often. So, I decided that integrating Boxing with Muay Thai would be the best combination for stand up game. But the problem is, the stances are way different. Do you guys think I could make it work if I took up Muay Thai and Boxing? How would it be in a competitive fight and street fight? And, what do you think of this gym: coopersgymusa.com

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Lower Franconia
    Posts
    1,075
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes.
    I guess you'd try to punch and kick a lot?
    Best thing is usually to try and check it out yourself.

    Also, this doesn't really seem to be an advanced discussion.
    Last edited by Azatdawn; 2/18/2012 7:13pm at .

  3. #3

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    23,469
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is the focus of Dutch style Kickboxing. I'm not sure if this belongs in the Advance section.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    255
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EricB814 View Post
    I am going to start taking Muay Thai lessons and I watched some Muay Thai fights, and I noticed that they do not punch very often. So, I decided that integrating Boxing with Muay Thai would be the best combination for stand up game. But the problem is, the stances are way different. Do you guys think I could make it work if I took up Muay Thai and Boxing? How would it be in a competitive fight and street fight? And, what do you think of this gym: coopersgymusa.com
    The stances aren't that different, a qualified instructor could teach you how to blend styles, though many will say just STFU and train, and when you are good enough the answer will present itself.

    How would it be? That's a very open-ended question. The most direct answer is "better than not knowing anything, of course." How much better depends on you, your opponent, and your teachers. Mostly you though.

    The school is... well maybe other's could investigate further. But My notes are:

    Their notes ont heir boxing instructor are not correect to my knowledge. Craig Payne won a Golden Gloves back in the day, but I don't believe he was a champion of anything beyone eating contests as a pro. I can't find anything relevant on the head instructor, but Bob White is a pretty generic name, so that doesn't mean anything.

    I'd look for a Boxing or Muay Thai gym that doesn't appear to specialize in Hapkido were it me, but sometimes folks can surprise you. Maybe they are super legit and their website just blows.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    23,469
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tramirezmma View Post
    I'd look for a Boxing or Muay Thai gym that doesn't appear to specialize in Hapkido were it me, but sometimes folks can surprise you. Maybe they are super legit and their website just blows.
    I agreed with everything up until most of this paragraph. These guys are producing. I like gyms/schools that are open to various options. It make sure they don't have visors on when instructing.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    255
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    I agreed with everything up until most of this paragraph. These guys are producing. I like gyms/schools that are open to various options. It make sure they don't have visors on when instructing.
    I can buy that, like I said, they may be entirely legit. Just advocating caution. If they are producing fighters, that does speak louder than just about anything else arguably.

    I may be a bit biased against Hapkido due to a few folks from a local gym/dojangorwhathaveyou who severly overestimate their grappling abilities on a consistent basis.

  7. #7
    Sang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,247
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Honestly its easier to find a Muay Thai gym that is teaching the Dutch style than it is to find one teaching the traditional way. Westerners seem to love punching, I just wanted a place that specialised in leg kicks and clinch work.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    1,047
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang View Post
    Honestly its easier to find a Muay Thai gym that is teaching the Dutch style than it is to find one teaching the traditional way. Westerners seem to love punching, I just wanted a place that specialised in leg kicks and clinch work.
    This has mostly been my experience. Either that, or they'll just teach what's essentially boxing with leg kicks and call it muay thai. You won't really know until you start checking places out. Watch/try some classes, see what the balance is like.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    16
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not advanced this is basic. Not even funny how many people have already known to do this.

  10. #10
    Colin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Tasmania, Australia
    Posts
    3,121
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So you necroed the thread to share that?

Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO