Administrator

Posted On:
    2/18/2012 4:34pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by couchfighter View Post
    Lesson Learned: Game the system, have your black belt recognized by another black belt and then you're legit. As I said, I rolled with this guy in '07 when he was a blue belt. I can attest to that.. That same year, he's a one-stripe black belt according to WBJJA. Now, that's bullshido!... :)
    Okay, let me explain this carefully.

Do you have the pedigree or record like Joe Moreria?
    Does Brody?

I am going to say no not yet.

Now, much earlier I said have your instructor post. If he confirms that he tried to purchase a Purple Belt then it lends credence to your statements.

Yes, it sucks, but an Instructor's vote of confidence will carry more weight than "he said she said."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/18/2012 4:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But who actually tied the BJJ BB around Bonifacio's waist? Was it Joe Moreira, or is Moreira simply recognizing a belt that someone else initially tied around his waist? If the latter, who is that "someone"?

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/18/2012 4:39pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He has a phone number, make the call. Joe's number is right there on the website. He has an email address as well.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/18/2012 5:32pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Erick, at least say "hi" to us at the tournaments...

Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Okay, let me explain this carefully.

Do you have the pedigree or record like Joe Moreria?
    Does Brody?

I am going to say no not yet.

Now, much earlier I said have your instructor post. If he confirms that he tried to purchase a Purple Belt then it lends credence to your statements.

Yes, it sucks, but an Instructor's vote of confidence will carry more weight than "he said she said."
    That's why I said it's truly sad for BJJ when a person as accomplished as Prof. Moreira, a red and black belt, can be duped into recognizing a guy who, in my opinion, went belt shopping.

You are right that having my instructor come on this forum and attest to what has been said will carry a lot of weight but quite frankly, I don't think I would even ask my instructor to do that. I am sure he's already said what he needs to say to his peers, which includes Prof. Moreira. (They always chat at Pan-Ams & Worlds every year.) If Prof. Moreira chooses to recognize him as a black belt, then it's his integrity and lineage on the line.

In all honesty, I used to be bothered by it but these days I just laugh. I know that Erick's BJJ legacy ends with him since he probably won't produce decent BJJ practitioners anyways, given his (lack of) knowledge and experience.

By the way, I do not have the pedigree of Prof. Moreira but I know for a fact that I have a better pedigree than Erick.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/18/2012 5:41pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You wouldn't have posted a time line, provided back up, or made the "it's a sad day" comment if it was laughable.

It is okay to be bothered because it keeps BJJ from turning into the grab bag that is TMA.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/18/2012 5:56pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Actually..

You wouldn't have posted a time line, provided back up, or made the "it's a sad day" comment if it was laughable.

It is okay to be bothered because it keeps BJJ from turning into the grab bag that is TMA.

Actually, the reason why I am on here is that Brody asked me to support him in this thread since: 1) I've rolled with Erick in the past 2) I have intimate knowledge about the situation.

As I said, I used to be bothered by the whole thing but I realize that as BJJ gets bigger so will the number of bad apples and frauds. I am quite satisfied knowing that I've got the truth behind me. Maybe, one day Erick's BJJ skill will catch up with his ranking.... but I doubt it.

With that said, it is the responsibility of any prospective student to do his or her homework and investigate the pedigree of a martial art instructor. That's what I did and that is the reason why I've been with the same instructor for the past 6 years.

Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    2/18/2012 6:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Unless Eric posts his lineage or replies to someone's email with something equivalent, this thread is over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Posted On:
    2/19/2012 12:20am

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have no clue why you quoted my post. Just in case here is what it is referring to in the first place.

No, there is nothing wrong with teaching kids self defense. No one has checked his other creds and if he has legit, no not good, alive, or bullshido accepted arts, he can teach kids self defense.

Yes, even with a blue belt in BJJ and other legit arts you can still teach kids SD.
    The reason I quoted your post was because you said there was nothing wrong with teaching self defense, when the issue was not whether the person teaching self defense was say, a blue belt or a black belt in BJJ but whether there was some sort of misrepresentation as to their BJJ rank.

We advise people to steer clear of people who fudge their credentials regardless of Skill level, and often people who deceive as to their skill level provide less competent instruction then an instructor with a legitimate background.

Whether Joe Moreira personally promoted Erick or whether he decided to recognize a BJJ black belt awarded by a different BJJ instructor is still an interesting question, but one that he does not seem to be clarifying.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/19/2012 12:41pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Browning View Post
    Whether Joe Moreira personally promoted Erick or whether he decided to recognize a BJJ black belt awarded by a different BJJ instructor is still an interesting question, but one that he does not seem to be clarifying.
    Joe confirming that Erick is under him is nothing new. Joes website already has him listed and Ericks also says 'under' joe. Doesn't mean joe promoted him to BB, especially since erick was listed as a BB in jan 2007 when he was training as a blue belt that year.

Since someone on this thread is already trading emails w joe, why not ask him IF he promoted him to purple, brown, black or 1st BB and when? I recall he was promoted to BB through some other association, hearsay, so take that for what it is.

If erick was actually a BB in 2007, he should be wearing a 2 stripes on his BB. If I was a 2nd BB, I'd mention that and my lineage on my website if I were an instructor.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/19/2012 12:54pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Browning View Post
    The reason I quoted your post was because you said there was nothing wrong with teaching self defense, when the issue was not whether the person teaching self defense was say, a blue belt or a black belt in BJJ but whether there was some sort of misrepresentation as to their BJJ rank.
    I know what the issue was. The two were separated by two distinct posts. If you cant see that there is nothing further for us to discuss. Once they clarified their position, which is done in MABS, it was left alone. They are two distinct and separate issues and saying he is wrong for teaching kids SD, with no clarification is wrong. The issue was his BJJ Black belt ONLY. SD came much later and wasn't referenced in regards to his BJJ Black Belt until the clarification post.
    We advise people to steer clear of people who fudge their credentials regardless of Skill level, and often people who deceive as to their skill level provide less competent instruction then an instructor with a legitimate background.
    Yes, I know. Is there proof he fudged his credential or hearsay? I'm mean we can both become pedants here if you'd like? These are the rules YOU SET not me. It is called clarity for a reason.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 2/19/2012 12:57pm at .
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 91011 LastLast