Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    2/17/2012 7:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by brody00 View Post
    If a blue belt level person buys his way to a black belt from a real black belt, would that person be considered a fraud?

If that person was nowhere near black belt level, but has the black belt certificate/paperwork, would that person be considered legit?

If they have the paperwork, what evidence could be used in this case?

Looking for guidance here.
    The best way to verify skill is to spar or roll with someone who is verifiable.

I suppose it would be possible to just earn your black belt with money and for the person who gave it to you to not give a ****, but the thing about lineage is this: Everyone's got an instructor, and you usually don't have to go too far down the line (in the case of BJJ) to find a person on the for whom money is not the issue, and legitimacy is. That's the plus of still being an alive art. There is an onus on competition, and if you/your students are all getting tooled in it, there isn't much relevancy for whatever you're teaching. The best thing would be to get a verified black belt to confront him about the rumors. If he's legit, he'll be able to diffuse this **** I'd think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/17/2012 7:52pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    If an instructor sells rank, they obviously have no personal integrity. IMHO, that person loses credibility in every aspect of their life and business. It adulterates the entire process and for those of us that paid blood, sweat and tears, it sucks. I would have to question the credentials of the person who granted the rank, and how they obtained theirs. If the instructor thought it was o.k. to sell paper, is it possible that they bought theirs.

What is your definition of legit? I am sure that I can go to the local printer and have them create some dandy rank certificates. The knowledge and skill is what makes a martial artist legit. I wouldn't judge a martial artist by the paper hanging on their wall, but how well they fight and roll. I saw a determined green belt beat several brown and black belts standing up and on the mat; draw your own conclusion.
    Someone posted this on the first page http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/te...reira-1844089/

Would you call that Black Belt legit?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/17/2012 7:54pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabetuno View Post
    There is an onus on competition, and if you/your students are all getting tooled in it, there isn't much relevancy for whatever you're teaching. The best thing would be to get a verified black belt to confront him about the rumors. If he's legit, he'll be able to diffuse this **** I'd think.
    That's the thing, he teaches little kids self defense. Isn't that just wrong?

Also, he doesn't roll w anyone, for obvious reasons.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2012 8:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sweats View Post
    I believe you're referring to the Robson Pereira investigation from a while back.
    That's the one! Thanks.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    2/17/2012 8:07pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's the thing, he teaches little kids self defense. Isn't that just wrong?
    Of course, it is wrong!!! Is your objective to have everyone on this forum to agree with you? Surely, you know this is wrong and do not really need a second opinion. As I said before, draw your own conclusion.

Also, he doesn't roll w anyone, for obvious reasons.
    Is it because he gets owned when he rolls? Surely, he could find one of his students to be compliant and demonstrate techniques.

Would you call that Black Belt legit?
    I, personally wouldn't call it legit, but without more information and being able to see the guy doing the work, I can only give an uninformed opinion.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/17/2012 8:18pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You both need to remember you are in MABS. Also, you both need to stop being asses. No, there is nothing wrong with teaching kids self defense. There are many parents, on this website, that will tell you that SD classes helped their child or children.

The wrong occurs in teaching kids that they can beat up any and all adults.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/17/2012 8:23pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    You called him a fake in your post and title which can get you in legal trouble. Make sure you understand you own your words and just put your instructor in the mix.
    Sorry, then how would i go about editing the title and post so I could more accurately say "Questionable" or "A possible fake"?

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    2/17/2012 8:42pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    The wrong occurs in teaching kids that they can beat up any and all adults.
    I agree with this, goes hand-in-hand with the twelve year old black belt thread. I wasn't agreeing with brody00, I was trying to figure out why he needs cheerleaders.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/17/2012 8:54pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not looking for cheerleaders. My point was if someone is teaching BJJ as part of a SD program, that person should be a qualified BJJ instructor, especially if that person is representing themselves as a BB.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/17/2012 8:59pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can a mod edit my title to say "questionable black belt ..."?
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast