Posted On:
    2/17/2012 4:33pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sorry.. Total Noob

Quote Originally Posted by Prone View Post
    This is in the investigation forum so this proves nothing. Not to sound mean or anything but for what it is worth you just told a story without backing the claims up.
    Sorry guys, total noob here. I'll try to follow forum protocol. I'll see if I can find a timeline I constructed a while back regarding his promotion. As I said, it was the butt of our jokes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2012 4:58pm

Style: Holiday Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by daddykata View Post
    He claims 5 black belts, here. It does not specify which arts these belts are for. I was unable to find anything claiming that he had a black belt in BJJ, other than OP.

Of note, though, is this (unsubstantiated) quote from the thread Cake pulled up:
    The arts I noticed on his site were kickboxing, shotokan, BJJ and a FMA (kombatant or something similar). Muay Thai may have been the fifth art but and I can't recall and this is a phone post so it's a bugger to check.

I don't know the ranking system for FMAs but would it be possible for an in-house black belt?

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    2/17/2012 5:08pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cake of Doom View Post
    The arts I noticed on his site were kickboxing, shotokan, BJJ and a FMA (kombatant or something similar). Muay Thai may have been the fifth art but and I can't recall and this is a phone post so it's a bugger to check.

I don't know the ranking system for FMAs but would it be possible for an in-house black belt?
    That's kind of what I was thinking, but IiF is right - that's a BJJ belt he's wearing in the photos on the lulzy United States Federation of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu website (which is blatantly named to be confused with the USBJJF, imo).

As such, I think this is more likely to be systemic fraud, rather than an individual instructor pretending to rank.

Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    2/17/2012 5:12pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by daddykata View Post
    That's kind of what I was thinking, but IiF is right - that's a BJJ belt he's wearing in the photos on the lulzy United States Federation of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu website (which is blatantly named to be confused with the USBJJF, imo).

As such, I think this is more likely to be systemic fraud, rather than an individual instructor pretending to rank.
    Or not a fraud. Let's keep that option in mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    2/17/2012 5:17pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabetuno View Post
    Or not a fraud. Let's keep that option in mind.
    Right. Objectivity is key - the facts will decide.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/17/2012 6:31pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If a blue belt level person buys his way to a black belt from a real black belt, would that person be considered a fraud?

If that person was nowhere near black belt level, but has the black belt certificate/paperwork, would that person be considered legit?

If they have the paperwork, what evidence could be used in this case?

Looking for guidance here.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2012 6:57pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by brody00 View Post
    If a blue belt level person buys his way to a black belt from a real black belt, would that person be considered a fraud?

If that person was nowhere near black belt level, but has the black belt certificate/paperwork, would that person be considered legit?

You mentioned that Mr. Bonifacio was photographed hanging around with Francisco Mansour. IIRC, Mansour himself was once involved in exactly the same kind of shenanigans you just described. I can't remember the name of the guy, but he was very suspect and Mansour signed off on some kind of CBJJ or IFBJJ certificate for him.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/17/2012 7:21pm

Style: Shotokan & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe you're referring to the Robson Pereira investigation from a while back.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/17/2012 7:28pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

As I said in my post, we have a case of a black belt (bought and paid for) that has the skill level of a 0 to 2 stripe blue belt. I would put money that a 4 stripe white belt would give him a tough time or possibly even tap him.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    2/17/2012 7:35pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If an instructor sells rank, they obviously have no personal integrity. IMHO, that person loses credibility in every aspect of their life and business. It adulterates the entire process and for those of us that paid blood, sweat and tears, it sucks. I would have to question the credentials of the person who granted the rank, and how they obtained theirs. If the instructor thought it was o.k. to sell paper, is it possible that they bought theirs.

What is your definition of legit? I am sure that I can go to the local printer and have them create some dandy rank certificates. The knowledge and skill is what makes a martial artist legit. I wouldn't judge a martial artist by the paper hanging on their wall, but how well they fight and roll. I saw a determined green belt beat several brown and black belts standing up and on the mat; draw your own conclusion.
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast