Page 3 of 12 First 1234567 ... Last
  1. #21
    submessenger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Delray Beach
    Posts
    2,063
    Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He claims 5 black belts, here. It does not specify which arts these belts are for. I was unable to find anything claiming that he had a black belt in BJJ, other than OP.

    Of note, though, is this (unsubstantiated) quote from the thread Cake pulled up:

    Joe Moreira is himself a great practitioner of jiu jitsu, and a great instructor. He is, however, an advocate of the technique blast, where he will show you a lot of techniques. It's kind of crazy.
    He does have questionable business practices though, so some of his black belts are excellent (Roy Harris, Michael Jen) and some of them are of questionable merit (Kimo, Marco Ruas). Also it's hard to get ibjjf acknowledgement, the ibjjf pretty much will not honor black belts from the Joe Moreira lineage.

  2. #22
    It is Fake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    34,588
    Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by daddykata View Post
    I was unable to find anything claiming that he had a black belt in BJJ, other than OP.
    The website Judo_UK provided and the photos show a BJJ Black Belt.
    This website as well:
    http://www.joemoreirainternational.com/members/

    Be careful, I've clicked two of his websites and I have had anti-virus threats blocked.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 2/17/2012 2:20pm at .

  3. #23
    Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge. Join us... or die
    Gabetuno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    3,295
    Style
    Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It'd be helpful if the OP could have his instructor or at least someone who's rolled with the guy post on the thread, either to his abilities or to the reasons why he left.

    Short of that, I'm inclined to apply Occam's razor. Wearing a black belt around that many other black belts, blue belts, purple belts, etc. and then being photographed is explainable two ways:

    1) You are a sheep, throwing on a wolf outfit and wandering into the heart of the den, nobody smells your sheepy smell, nobody asks you to partake in a big plate of Uncle Baaaahb, no one offers to play you in a friendly game of sniff-the-butt (all things wolves are particularly keen on doing when you wear the big black collar), you manage to hang around for photos, get in a bunch, and then leave without breaking a sweat, only to never return again. Then one of them offers an affiliation/knows your full of **** and does it for biscuits.

    2) You're just actually a black belt and everyone knows it.

    I need a little more than hearsay to go with if I'm gonna turn away from option 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.



  4. #24
    It is Fake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    34,588
    Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, it appears to be at Seminars and we have enough stories that show no one pays attention until after the fact.

    "2" Is the way I lean, until the school is named and the instructor comments showing something different.

  5. #25
    Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge. Join us... or die
    Gabetuno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    3,295
    Style
    Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Well, it appears to be at Seminars and we have enough stories that show no one pays attention until after the fact.

    "2" Is the way I lean, until the school is named and the instructor comments showing something different.
    I s'pose. There weren't a TON of black belts though, and from what I've seen they are grabbed first by each other. I guess he could have always been playing injured. But even then, a lot of injured black belts will tool around with a lower belt just for the outing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.



  6. #26

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    15
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabetuno View Post
    It'd be helpful if the OP could have his instructor or at least someone who's rolled with the guy post on the thread, either to his abilities or to the reasons why he left.

    Short of that, I'm inclined to apply Occam's razor. Wearing a black belt around that many other black belts, blue belts, purple belts, etc. and then being photographed is explainable two ways:

    1) You are a sheep, throwing on a wolf outfit and wandering into the heart of the den, nobody smells your sheepy smell, nobody asks you to partake in a big plate of Uncle Baaaahb, no one offers to play you in a friendly game of sniff-the-butt (all things wolves are particularly keen on doing when you wear the big black collar), you manage to hang around for photos, get in a bunch, and then leave without breaking a sweat, only to never return again. Then one of them offers an affiliation/knows your full of **** and does it for biscuits.

    2) You're just actually a black belt and everyone knows it.

    I need a little more than hearsay to go with if I'm gonna turn away from option 2.
    I'll contact some teammates who have firsthand experience w him and see if they will comment on this thread.

  7. #27
    It is Fake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    34,588
    Style
    xingyi
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    See what your instructor says as well. Don't post from the same computer because multiple accounts aren't allowed. They need to, if they choose, sign up under their own accounts.

  8. #28

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    16
    Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Better than BJ Penn...

    Hi Guys,
    I know the OP and thought I'd chime in. I have actually rolled with Mr. "Black Belt." At the time we rolled, early part of 2007, I was a white belt and he had just been promoted to blue belt. I won't bore you with the details of our roll since I remember just "mauling" him white belt style but I can tell you that our skill levels were not much different. Believe me, Mr. "Black Belt" has been the butt of many jokes in the dojo. In fact, based on what has been posted with various BJJ associations, he actually achieved his black belt faster than BJ Penn. I would be surprised if he went from blue to purple to brown in one year. Another joke is that Mr. BB likes to register for IBJJF tournaments and then typically get DQ'd for not showing up. We usually do an over-under if he will show up or not. In fact, he was in the same bracket as one of our senior black belts at one of the big tournaments. Can you imagine how excited we were? Sadly, he was a no-show.

    This is not a case of a guy who has practiced BJJ for X amount of years whose skill is near black belt level and decides he deserves a promotion (we've seen a few of those). This is a guy who wears a black belt but has the skill level of a blue belt, if even that. BTW, I am now a purple belt after 6 years of training but according to Mr. "Black Belt's" promotion guidelines, I should actually be a two stripe black belt.

    Believe what you want but the proof is in the pudding. Visit his school and watch a class. I guarantee you that he will not fully spar with anyone above a blue belt. Better yet, I say go and arrange a private lesson with Mr. "Black Belt" and see if he moves like a black belt should. You will sadly be disappointed.

  9. #29
    Prone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    927
    Style
    BJJ / Kyokushinkai Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is in the investigation forum so this proves nothing. Not to sound mean or anything but for what it is worth you just told a story without backing the claims up.

  10. #30
    Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge. Join us... or die
    Gabetuno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    3,295
    Style
    Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by couchfighter View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I know the OP and thought I'd chime in. I have actually rolled with Mr. "Black Belt." At the time we rolled, early part of 2007, I was a white belt and he had just been promoted to blue belt. I won't bore you with the details of our roll since I remember just "mauling" him white belt style but I can tell you that our skill levels were not much different. Believe me, Mr. "Black Belt" has been the butt of many jokes in the dojo. In fact, based on what has been posted with various BJJ associations, he actually achieved his black belt faster than BJ Penn. I would be surprised if he went from blue to purple to brown in one year. Another joke is that Mr. BB likes to register for IBJJF tournaments and then typically get DQ'd for not showing up. We usually do an over-under if he will show up or not. In fact, he was in the same bracket as one of our senior black belts at one of the big tournaments. Can you imagine how excited we were? Sadly, he was a no-show.

    This is not a case of a guy who has practiced BJJ for X amount of years whose skill is near black belt level and decides he deserves a promotion (we've seen a few of those). This is a guy who wears a black belt but has the skill level of a blue belt, if even that. BTW, I am now a purple belt after 6 years of training but according to Mr. "Black Belt's" promotion guidelines, I should actually be a two stripe black belt.

    Believe what you want but the proof is in the pudding. Visit his school and watch a class. I guarantee you that he will not fully spar with anyone above a blue belt. Better yet, I say go and arrange a private lesson with Mr. "Black Belt" and see if he moves like a black belt should. You will sadly be disappointed.
    Welcome and thanks for posting. In the future, please read the stickies.

    This board is moderated heavily, as with most boards on this site. There is a ****-talking part of Bullshido that's kept separately. Please limit your posts to substantiated facts here, pertinent questions, and on-point observations. Treat it like a courtroom and you'll do fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.



Page 3 of 12 First 1234567 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO