Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/11/2015 8:34am

Style: MMA BJJ TKD

Hell yeah! Hell no!

UKSDMAG certified members list

Sometimes it doesn't matter how hard you try to avoid it....

SO I know someone who did a combat course with a self defence place near where I live. I looked up their website and it said they were members (fellows if you will) of the UK Self Defence and Martial Arts Guild. Piquing my interest I engage a basic level of Google Fu and find their website:

www.uksdmag.org

Their membership levels are all free. I check out their list of member clubs- 17 pages of them! Looks like a big organisation. Not sure why I haven't heard about them before.. Still there are lots of associations nowadays.

Scrolling through the pages I see a listing for Little Winners Taekwon-Do Club. This club is a certified member of UKSDMAG. Apparently.

Although for the life of me I cannot remember joining them!

This is my damn club!

http://www.uksdmag.org/members/littl...ekwon-do-club/
    (screen shot taken of course)

And to make matters worse they have a crappy old youtube video that I did a while ago when I was experimenting with pictures that is for my ADULT self protection class! Nothing to do with my kids ITF TKD club at all!

So now that I have gotten over my shock, I will be imminently sending them an email to ask why I am listed as a certified member and why my website/ video etc is linked to their website.

And I wonder how many of the other clubs on the 17 pages of 'certified members' are actually aware of their association with this guild!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/11/2015 8:42am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    email contact sent to UKSDMAG. I feel pretty annoyed about this. Has this happened to anyone else out there and what was the result?

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...%20uksdmag.png

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/11/2015 10:00am

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Little bit worrying, no I haven't heard of them.

Not sure quite what you can do if they don't take you off. Trading Standards would deal with this kind of thing if you paid them money (which it sounds like you didn't).

Hopefully they will take you off otherwise it might be some legal redress

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/11/2015 10:06am

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmmmm, just quickly scanned their site.

It does seem to to offer licensing etc for people to train other people in self defence etc including a franchising scheme.

It does smack of another UK investigation we carried out into Richard Spencer:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=120865

He appeared to be offering slightly similar licensed self defence courses.

When I have more time I'll look into this further.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/11/2015 10:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio View Post
    Little bit worrying, no I haven't heard of them.

Not sure quite what you can do if they don't take you off. Trading Standards would deal with this kind of thing if you paid them money (which it sounds like you didn't).

Hopefully they will take you off otherwise it might be some legal redress
    I didn't pay money. Their website states that all of their memberships are completely free of charge. I'm a member of IMASA (Independant Sports and Martial Arts Association) who provide my insurances and licensing as well as my DBS/ CRB and I am also a member of Peter Consterdine's and Geoff Thompson's British Combat Association. But I have no need to collect memberships to other organisations just to try and gain credibility and I don't need any internet linking for marketing purposes either.

I'm currently waiting for a reply to my email which was only sent this afternoon.

I'm going to wait for that reply before I decide whether I am over reacting (because quite frankly I'm fucked off about someone else thinking they can feed off of my clubs and credibility as I've spent years studying and work hard to properly maintain my documentation and credibility only for someone to use it as THEY see fit).

I didn't expect to be starting my first MABS thread relating to something that involved my own damn club!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/11/2015 10:14am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio View Post
    Hmmmmm, just quickly scanned their site.

It does seem to to offer licensing etc for people to train other people in self defence etc including a franchising scheme.

It does smack of another UK investigation we carried out into Richard Spencer:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=120865

He appeared to be offering slightly similar licensed self defence courses.

When I have more time I'll look into this further.
    And this is where lurking helps and why Bullshido recommends it before posting. I've read that whole thread on Richard Spencer (I remember it quite well- I was having lunch at Nando's in my hometown that day....).

Going to reread to refresh my memory but still waiting for reply to my email.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/11/2015 11:40am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Further investigations on lists of member clubs of UKSDMAG

So far I have contacted three schools listed on their members page:

Fung Yang Sau Kung Fu association- Listed as a 'standard membership'-had no knowledge of being listed and never heard of UKSDMAG

British Military Martial Arts- Listed as 'Full Membership'- Although a franchise itself and couldn't confirm head office details, the local instructor (whose personal mobile number I called from the listing) had no knowledge of listing, had never heard of UKSDMAG and was not too pleased about his phone number being present.

I have messaged the BMMA head office through their facebook site (their website contact form isn't working) accordingly to ask their opinion on this group. Why on earth a military martial arts franchise would be a member of a guild that has a franchise opportunity of it's own is beyond me so I will be surprised if there is actually a proper link here.

Edit: The BMMA replied to my facebook postand had no idea that they were listed on the site at all.

Immortal MMA- this is a place I know- an MMA gym in Milton Keynes which rebranded as Guardians Academy. I cannot see them needing an association such as UKSDMAG as it is not what they do and they have known people there (champions, Bellator fighter etc). I am awaiting a reply to a my contact mail about this.

Little Winners Taekwon-Do Club- Myself of course.Listed as 'certified membership'. No knowledge of listing or who UKSDMAG were before today! And thoroughly pissed about the whole affair.

So three confirmed independent clubs on that list with no knowledge of UKSDMAG.

How many do I need to contact to prove my suspicion that my club is part of a list that is designed for credibility? And why? To sell franchises and courses? Why give these clubs standard/ full/ certified membership statuses if they have never heard of UKSDMAG?

The game's afoot.....
    Last edited by gold_ax666; 3/11/2015 11:57am at . Reason: edited cos I keep doing more stuff but don't want to keep posting new posts...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/11/2015 12:12pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From the website of Combat Academy who seem to work very closely with UKSDMAG (the two organisations promote each other closely on their respective websites):

http://ukmagb.org.uk/licensing/

To become a Licenced Self Defence Instructor, you need to have obtained a minimum of the Instructor Award Qualification with one of the UK SDMAG approved training centres. Once you have this qualification, the Licensing fee is just 100 per annum. This fee includes a once per year refresher training seminar, all admin fees and an actual physical credit card style licence.

Really?!?!

And then:

Licenced instructors holding the Diploma at Level 4 can apply to become a recognised and approved training centre (ATC) and actually teach the Instructor training qualification and other professional practitioner qualifications themselves, either internally to their own instructors or externally.

So after becoming a licensed self defence instructor and paying several hundred pounds for it as well as the yearly 100 license, you then become part of this system to help train more self defence instructors within this group.

Am I reading this wrong? Is this a pyramid scheme?

A
    Last edited by gold_ax666; 3/11/2015 12:15pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/11/2015 4:27pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like a rank and/or certification selling org. I'd assume they can add anybody they want, then sell memberships to anybody that wants useless prestige/fake credibility. Not sure what anybody could do about it.

I'd guess anybody could assemble a list of notable (or at least verifiability actual) people from any field, call it a HoF or registry, then troll around for paid memberships. Caveat emptor and all.
    "Your body must be like a stone, your mind... like a meatloaf."

Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/11/2015 4:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    Sounds like a rank and/or certification selling org. I'd assume they can add anybody they want, then sell memberships to anybody that wants useless prestige/fake credibility. Not sure what anybody could do about it.

I'd guess anybody could assemble a list of notable (or at least verifiability actual) people from any field, call it a HoF or registry, then troll around for paid memberships. Caveat emptor and all.
    Their 'memberships' are all free according to their website but their courses cost money. I don't like the way it looks and I certainly don't like the way that the members list contains random clubs especially mine!

I'm carrying on investigating this. Still waiting on their reply to my email to explain themselves...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast