Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/21/2012 1:53pm

supporting member
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: Holistic Fitness MMA - Wimbledon

Guys, there are some few officially recognized teachers who grant yellow, orange and green belts to adult bjj students in Brazil. As far as my knowledge goes, most of them, maybe all of them, have some lineage that goes back to Fadda master. So it's not completely impossible for an adult to be granted an yellow bjj belt. I may be able to help verify lineage with some of these guys that learned from Fadda.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/21/2012 5:36pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigato View Post
    Guys, there are some few officially recognized teachers who grant yellow, orange and green belts to adult bjj students in Brazil. As far as my knowledge goes, most of them, maybe all of them, have some lineage that goes back to Fadda master. So it's not completely impossible for an adult to be granted an yellow bjj belt. I may be able to help verify lineage with some of these guys that learned from Fadda.
    Its not impossible but its unusual and should and instructor be advertising a Yellow belt? Its normally pretty low down on grading structure of martial arts with a belt system.

The people on PDA's link came to the conclusion that he had awarded it to him self or by someone who as far as they could tell only its JJJ not BJJ.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/21/2012 6:00pm

supporting member
     Style: Taiji/Hsingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PDA View Post
    Im not a million miles away either.
    I am also a heavy weight too and Blue Belt 1 stripe in BJJ so would be happy to roll with you and allow Resanonce10 to film it and put it on here for the senior BJJ members to asses your level as best they can and make comment on the footage.

This is also not in anyway a challenge but simply a friendly opportunity for you to demonstrate your BJJ skill and set the record straight on the internet if required.
    I'd be happy to do that.

So Sensei, what do you say?

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/21/2012 6:30pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Guys, there are some few officially recognized teachers who grant yellow, orange and green belts to adult bjj students in Brazil. As far as my knowledge goes, most of them, maybe all of them, have some lineage that goes back to Fadda master.
    Yes and which of these instructors issues yellow as a high rank?

So it's not completely impossible for an adult to be granted an yellow bjj belt. I may be able to help verify lineage with some of these guys that learned from Fadda.
    You didn't read my post did you?

Welterweight

Posted On:
    12/21/2012 8:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Taiji/Hsingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RWaggs View Post
    I figure there's about a 5% chance that eric.stokes is actually the person in question.
    I make you right there, still waiting for the emails to be posted too..

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/21/2012 8:32pm

Style: JJJ/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So he has links with http://www.londonjujitsu.com/

They've been on here before, but I can't remember why. Maybe a certain staff member with a superb memory could link the thread?

Edit: Found it: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=118169&page=2

Nothing sinister
    Last edited by captainbirdseye; 12/21/2012 8:36pm at . Reason: Found Link

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/22/2012 5:09am

supporting member
     Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: Holistic Fitness MMA - Wimbledon

Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake View Post
    Yes and which of these instructors issues yellow as a high rank?

You didn't read my post did you?
    Did someone claim yellow to be a high rank?

I had read your post and wanted to further clarify. Sorry if the information was not useful.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/22/2012 11:12am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did someone claim yellow to be a high rank?
    If you read the two posts two people said the exact same thing as you:
    Quote Originally Posted by Iif
    Yes, I know, somewhere there is a legit guy giving out yellow rank. I chalk that up to the 1% hard sparring chun school, it is a rarity. Chances are high he didn't train at the rare school.

So he's a "yellow belt" in BJJ and Kickboxing.... Not something I'd think of putting in an instructor bio. He is a brown belt in Ju Jitsu, not bad but not what most people look for when getting into MMA, and not generally considered an instructor level. He also claims an amateur boxing background in and around East London. Would there be a governing body we could look him up in for these claimed fights?
    Just like you, we said there is a legit school giving out yellows. What was implied and stated is if a yellow rank gives you credibility to teach grappling. Having it on your website and teaching BJJ implies a legitimate or "higher" rank. No one is saying it isn't legit, some are saying it is mainly a child rank.

In this day and age there is no reason to have someone lower than purple teaching. Some people would argue Brown. No, we are not talking a Blue "teaching" basics as an assistant or a purple.

Posted On:
    1/12/2013 4:00pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Eric
    I simply posted my experience of your class nothing I have said is untrue, and I'll come back to post the emails shortly. Your reaction is quite juvenile and not what I would expect from an instructor. If somebody recounts a negative experience your first recourse is to challenge them to a fight? Are we in some kind of 80s karate flick here? First of all as you know I'm not particularly experienced so why an instructor would offer out a student is a bit beyond me its not really proof of your skills if you win nor does it negate anything I have said. Other, more experienced people have questioned your credentials and instead of replying in a reasoned and articulate way that clears up the speculation you've resorted to name calling and threats which is not likely to endear yourself to prospective students. At the end of the day, myself and my friend have moved on, we've both found classes we're happy training at where we're encouraged to grow and not derided for failing to sign onto direct debit plans or told how poor we are if we decide to train elsewhere. I wish you good luck with your future endeavors and hope you grow as a martial artist and human being so your actions can embody the principles you claim to represent. Bye

Posted On:
    2/20/2013 10:15am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The point

Quote Originally Posted by SY09 View Post
    Hi Eric
    I simply posted my experience of your class nothing I have said is untrue, and I'll come back to post the emails shortly. Your reaction is quite juvenile and not what I would expect from an instructor. If somebody recounts a negative experience your first recourse is to challenge them to a fight? Are we in some kind of 80s karate flick here? First of all as you know I'm not particularly experienced so why an instructor would offer out a student is a bit beyond me its not really proof of your skills if you win nor does it negate anything I have said. Other, more experienced people have questioned your credentials and instead of replying in a reasoned and articulate way that clears up the speculation you've resorted to name calling and threats which is not likely to endear yourself to prospective students. At the end of the day, myself and my friend have moved on, we've both found classes we're happy training at where we're encouraged to grow and not derided for failing to sign onto direct debit plans or told how poor we are if we decide to train elsewhere. I wish you good luck with your future endeavors and hope you grow as a martial artist and human being so your actions can embody the principles you claim to represent. Bye
    I just read all the comments in this thread and it seems to have lost its point!
    You did not enjoy your class Experience in the way you had hoped but you do state that the rest of the students seemed to pick it up well. If you didn't like the structure of the class you could why return?
    You mention the price as do others, 10 for 2 hours for a class in Wimbledon 5 an hour seems on par with all the other local clubs
    You and others seem very interested in the grades held by instructors, that is fair nice to know who is teaching you. Black belt in mma sanctioned by the Great Britain martial arts association and a brown belt from a very reputable senior Instrutor ?. Seems like more than enough to me. Yes other lower grades are listed but at no point has anyone suggested they are anything other than just part of the personal history and back round of the instructor .
    Reading the comments about a threat . I think that's questionable. An invitation to prove that he possesses the skill of an instructor put across in the wrong way.
    Looking at the content of the site and related comments the club offer classes in many and various martial arts. Classes run by many and varied instructors all with proven history in each of their chosen arts, and the relevant qualifications. It's perhaps unfair to suggest McDojo!
    Seems the point is you didn't like the email sales pressure and attitude of the instructor
    We are all free to comment as we please I just like to see fair and balanced critics. Bit of a witch hunt as I read !
    I think the idea of a visit by any experienced mma practitioner should be welcomed
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast