Posted On:
    3/03/2013 2:11pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Thai Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Don Bendell

Hi everyone,
    Do any of you know much about Don Bendell Karate? I've done some research online, and have visited the school but he just seems to be a little "off". I don't know, there is something about having autographed pictures from random celebrities, claimimg to be good friends with Muhammad Ali, and selling your western novels at your school that seems a little fishy. He also seems to be one of these guys who is an expert at everything, special forces, counter terrorism expert, actor, movie producer, talk show host, radio DJ, author, political pundit, master of 7 different martial arts styles, hall of fame inductee....yada yada yada. He seems very narcissistic to me and I am wary about enrolling my child in his school if he isn't legit. If anyone can validate any of these claims for me it would be appreciated because there arent many schools in this area and I want to get my child started. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by donniegunz; 3/03/2013 2:13pm at . Reason: mispelling

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    3/03/2013 7:17pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm guessing this is the school?

http://www.bendellkarate.com/

Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/03/2013 7:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Taiji/Hsingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by donniegunz View Post
    Hi everyone,
    Do any of you know much about Don Bendell Karate? I've done some research online, and have visited the school but he just seems to be a little "off". I don't know, there is something about having autographed pictures from random celebrities, claimimg to be good friends with Muhammad Ali, and selling your western novels at your school that seems a little fishy. He also seems to be one of these guys who is an expert at everything, special forces, counter terrorism expert, actor, movie producer, talk show host, radio DJ, author, political pundit, master of 7 different martial arts styles, hall of fame inductee....yada yada yada. He seems very narcissistic to me and I am wary about enrolling my child in his school if he isn't legit. If anyone can validate any of these claims for me it would be appreciated because there arent many schools in this area and I want to get my child started. Thanks in advance.
    Read the forum threads with your name by them.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=95239
    Last edited by Resonance10; 3/03/2013 7:44pm at .

Posted On:
    3/03/2013 8:28pm

Bullshido Newbie

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep that's the one. I have visited the school and have done as much research as I can on this guy but I only come up with more vague info. He claims a lot of things that seem to be embelished. I am not really looking for people to do additional research for me (if you want to thats great), I am just looking for evidence that this guy is legit.

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    3/03/2013 10:00pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am just looking for evidence that this guy is legit.
    I have no idea. All I've gathered is that he is a unique character, which can be said of most martial art instructors.

He does seem to promote himself and his books, but again that's pretty standard. His bio did have a lot of information, it looks like he (or maybe his brother) competed in some kickboxing at one time.

When you checked out their school, what was your take of his karate? All I've heard you say so far is that you didn't like the guy's personality.

hmmmmm "Special Forces" you say.

Posted On:
    3/04/2013 12:44am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for finding all of those clips. He seems nuts. From what I have taken from talking to other parents of children who attend the school Don Bendell rarely steps foot in the place. When he does show up it is usually announced ahead of time and there is a huge amount of fanfare involved. As for the quality of instruction I can only base it off of his instructors (a lot of them are early teen black belts) which seem to me to lack the crisp and consice techniques that I would associate with karate. I saw alot of arm flailing during basic kicks, bad form, alot of ridiculously long He-Yahs (some in excess of 2 or 3 seconds), and belts not tied properly, and Gis looking unkept. Perhaps I am just being too picky. Afterall, I am only looking for some instruction for a young child. I guess I have already made up my mind that Don Bendell is a borderline fraud. I was just hoping that there was someone out their who can really vouche for the guy and say "yep he is a narcissist but he knows his stuff." I thought humility and humbleness was kinda part of the martial arts? Thanks for all of your help CoffeeFan, I will probably be better off buying karate instruction videos.

Posted On:
    3/04/2013 12:53am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This was a quote I got from his blog that made my eyes roll into the back of my head:

IMPORTANT NOTE FROM DON
    If you are a law enforcement officer or search and rescue leader, searching for missing hikers or fugitives, please call Don. He thinks if life's experiences have given you some kind of expertise, God feels it should be used to the benefit of others, so call or contact Don Bendell before the trail gets contaminated.

Kind of a pompous attitude from the author of Strongheart to discount the ability of every search and rescue agency under the sun. If only the CIA would have gotten Don's number we could have gotten Bin Laden long before we did.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    3/04/2013 2:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Taiji/Hsingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep that's the one. I have visited the school and have done as much research as I can on this guy but I only come up with more vague info. He claims a lot of things that seem to be embelished. I am not really looking for people to do additional research for me (if you want to thats great), I am just looking for evidence that this guy is legit.
    Funny, this is in your OP:

If anyone can validate any of these claims for me it would be appreciated
    That would be additional research.
    Your problem with my post was what exactly?
    In MABS you are supposed to post including your research, all you have done is go ' Hi guys what do you reckon?' which is fine just not in this part of the site. It is for serious investigations.

Are you doing a serious investigation?

I would steer clear of him based on the website alone, if you don't rate the classes what more do you need?

I think he is possibly worthy of an investigation of some sort.

Good luck.