Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 142021222324 25262728 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/01/2012 12:44am

Style: Goju Ryu Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the thread title is ironic to me, because since I have PKU, eating meat could actually make me retarded.
    One egg is the amount of protein I am supposed to have in a day at most (although that rule is sometimes broken). And that includes the protein in pasta and vegtables and dairy products.

As a guy with a protein problem, let me tell you, They put that (stuff) in everything.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    6/01/2012 11:01am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by marcwagz View Post
    the thread title is ironic to me, because since I have PKU, eating meat could actually make me retarded.
    One egg is the amount of protein I am supposed to have in a day at most (although that rule is sometimes broken). And that includes the protein in pasta and vegtables and dairy products.

As a guy with a protein problem, let me tell you, They put that (stuff) in everything.
    Given that phenylalanine is coded for by DNA, it should not be surprising that it shows up, at least in trace amounts, in most living things.

However, there is a non-trivial difference between "enough phenylalanine sufficient to give someone with PKU a bad time" and "enough of a balanced amino acid profile to optimize athletic performance".
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Posted On:
    6/01/2012 11:51am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If before I wrote every article I had to stop and consider how it would apply to every possible person on the planet and their individual circumstances, I wouldn't bother writing articles.

If you happen to be a left-handed Jainist ginger diabetic with PTSD and this post offends you, I insincerely apologize.

(Seriously dude, when you're the exception to the rule, it's only wasting your own brain cycles worrying about how the rule applies to everyone else.)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/01/2012 11:57am

Style: Goju Ryu Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It doesn't actually bother me, I was just pointing out at least one exception to the rule.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
    Given that phenylalanine is coded for by DNA, it should not be surprising that it shows up, at least in trace amounts, in most living things.

However, there is a non-trivial difference between "enough phenylalanine sufficient to give someone with PKU a bad time" and "enough of a balanced amino acid profile to optimize athletic performance".
    Color me impressed with your knowledge of the biological/chemical causes of the PKU disorder. Usually nobody has ever heard of it.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    6/01/2012 12:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by marcwagz View Post
    Color me impressed with your knowledge of the biological/chemical causes of the PKU disorder. Usually nobody has ever heard of it.
    It comes up from time to time, usually in the context of aspartame and such. I have a lot of sympathy for you guys; you may actually have it worse than the Crohn's/celiac folks.

By happy coincidence, phenylalanine makes a handy proxy for protein synthesis because it doesn't participate in certain metabolic pathways, so there's a fair body of research on leucine's effect on muscular uptake of phenylalanine. Makes me wonder if it would be useful for PKU... or convert a hand grenade into a timebomb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Posted On:
    6/01/2012 12:42pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We dun got sum smrt people here on the bull's hidey-o, yessir

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    6/02/2012 9:03am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    8/20/2012 6:07pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I found something relevant enough to be worthy of necroing this thread:
    http://fightlinker.com/rondas-not-here-to-make-friends/
    From the comments section, posted by Ronda Rousey's own mother:

Quote Originally Posted by Ann Maria Rousey
    "Ronda was a vegan for about a year after the Olympics but when she went back to training she got sick and kept getting every little flu, cold, etc. that came along. I was worried she wasn't getting enough vitamins and iron and talked her into going back to at least eating some meat and dairy products.

As she has been cutting weight to get in lower divisions for MMA (first 145 and now moving to 135), she has become a lot more knowledgeable about nutrition and been eating 90-99% vegan food. So, I would say that she is now back to being a vegan who occasionally slips up and has, say, a piece of turkey at Thanksgiving.

So, in answer to your question, yes, but she is not perfect.
    So it appears that Ronda Rousey, who you may recognize as one of the best athletes in the world, eats a not-quite-but-almost vegan diet.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Posted On:
    8/20/2012 6:26pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It’s kind of a combination of The Paleo and The Warrior diet. I pretty much eat one meal a day – which takes place at night.

If I have red meat it must be ‘Grass-Finished beef’ not ‘Grass Fed.’ Grass Fed could be that they fed the cow grass ONE DAY and then fed it corn for the rest of its life – and that qualifies it to be ‘Grass Fed’. Grass-Finished means it has to eat grass for at least 80 percent of its lifetime … so it has to be very high quality. I also try to eat everything organic, even when I eat dairy.
    RR here: http://www.ufc.com/news/The-Ronda-Rousey-Diet

Sounds like meat and dairy are are in her diet.

Posted On:
    8/20/2012 6:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw View Post
    I found something relevant enough to be worthy of necroing this thread:
    http://fightlinker.com/rondas-not-here-to-make-friends/
    From the comments section, posted by Ronda Rousey's own mother:

So it appears that Ronda Rousey, who you may recognize as one of the best athletes in the world, eats a not-quite-but-almost vegan diet.
    My coach is vegitarian. (Fish and eggs) and is quite simply the fittest man I know.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts