Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Style
    German longsword, .45 ACP
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kids are becoming clumsy and uncoordinated due to safety restrictions on recess

So there's an article that states that due to all the policy restrictions on how they're allowed to move and play, kids are actually becoming clumsier, having inferior balance, and all kinds of things: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-causing-harm/

The thing is that the very movements we are restricting children from doing to keep them “safe” are the exact exercises I’ve used as a pediatric occupational therapist to help treat the increasingly “unsafe” behaviors seen by veteran teachers in the United States. Teachers are reporting increased aggressiveness at recess, decreased ability to regulate emotions of anger and frustration, constant tripping, frequent falling and decreased ability to attend in the classroom.
    The rest of the article is definitely worth reading.

I guess it means that if you have kids, you have to make them do judo and kickboxing so that they can get all their developmental physical orientation down. Per policy, they're not allowed to do it naturally during play anymore.
    Best Vietnam War music video I've ever seen put together by a vet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDY8raKsdfg

Style
    lol yet again more Judo !
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin View Post
    So there's an article that states that due to all the policy restrictions on how they're allowed to move and play, kids are actually becoming clumsier, having inferior balance, and all kinds of things: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-causing-harm/

I guess it means that if you have kids, you have to make them do judo and kickboxing so that they can get all their developmental physical orientation down. Per policy, they're not allowed to do it naturally during play anymore.
    This is almost one of those duh things when you stop and think about it and the implications, kinda scary. America seem to be breeding people who qualify as terrible in all sorts of categories.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost55 View Post
    Violence is pretty uncommon in clubs in this area, and the dude didn't seem particularly hostile up until the moment he slapped me.
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Quote Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD View Post
    Slamming the man in the bottom position from time to time keeps everybody on their toes and discourages butt scooting stupidity.

Style
    TKD, CMA & American Kenpo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dodge ball anyone? How about full-contact soccer?

Style
    Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    According to the article kids are sitting too much. Simply getting up from the seat/couch would be a huge start for most kids. Before you even put them in a martial arts school...make them take a walk outside?
    Last edited by Pship Destroyer; 11/29/2016 12:02am at .

Style
    judo hiatus
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    My mother was always on my case for wearing holes in my socks due to going shoeless in dodgeball. Nicknamed Twinkle Toes. Was a source of pride as a kid in the 60's.

Today? Would probably keep the shoes on to keep the name off.

Do schools even play the game anymore?

Full contact soccer. Played in the USMC. On the field there was no rank. Good times.

Ahhh, youth.
    Last edited by hungryjoe; 11/29/2016 1:02am at .

Style
    Jits
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dodgeballl was considered a girls game when I was a kid. And 'full contact soccer' makes no sense, soccer is soccer.

Style
    judo hiatus
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It was soccer. Period.

Played by Marines. A bit rough.

Style
    Jits
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Soccer is big around here, but I never enjoyed it much. I liked basketball more but then I stopped growing...

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    Style
    Kodokan Judo
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Ronin View Post

Kids need way more activity than they typically get at recess to be healthy and become reasonably coordinated adults. And way, way, way more if they want to become accomplished athletes.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours. Join us... or die
    Style
    Kodokan Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    I was and am highly gratified that dodge ball is a very important part of the gym activities in our local school system.

You mean Commando Soccer, LOL? Or Commando ball, played inside on a basketball court...
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

Page 1 of 2 12 Last