Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2012 5:15pm

Style: MMA,scjj,judo,some tkd

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

is it possible to be a black belt in judo without knowing any throws?

So im an avid martial arts enthusiast i practice kickboxing small circle jujitsu and JUDO. ever since i anounced to my friends i started this my friend out of the blue who ive known for years is some kind of prodegy. he claims to hold a second degree in wing chun kung fu a first degree in shaolin kempo karate, and a black belt in tae kwon do. along with these he claims to have a black belt in jujitsu and judo. when i asked him to name me some throws and he couldnt name one. he also claims to hold these titles at the age 16 and got them around 11 or 13? is any of this possible?.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    2/13/2012 5:24pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judo is a throwing and grappling martial art, so no, it is not possible. Judo also does not issue black belts to children.

I can't speak for any of the other arts you mentioned.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Posted On:
    2/13/2012 5:30pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It would be impossible to be a black belt and not know how to do any throws. It would be possible to be a black belt and know throws, but not know the Japanese names.

Its also possibly, in some countries, to get a black belt at 15/16. I don't know any country that allows you to get a black belt before 15/16.

Given the breadth and significance of your friends achievements I suspect he's probably full of it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2012 5:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i apoligize but i made an error in the post i havent seen him or know if he can do throws... sometime im going to challange him and see what he knows but what i ment was he cant name any of them he apearently is at black belt level.... but cant name any throws

Posted On:
    2/13/2012 5:44pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewpmma View Post
    i apoligize but i made an error in the post i havent seen him or know if he can do throws... sometime im going to challange him and see what he knows but what i ment was he cant name any of them he apearently is at black belt level.... but cant name any throws
    Given that you have Judo in your style field you should know there are only 3 American bodies that can issue Judo ranks - USJA, USJF and USA Judo.

One way would be to ask him which organisation awarded him his black belt. Give him one true option and two fake options i.e USJF, USJU or USJO.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2012 6:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well heres the thing his ultra epic super martial art master uncle who all of a sudden has been around tought him judo. theres countless gaps in his stories and he is always complaining about his father being a dick and not letting him do anything at all but apearently drove him back and forth between countless classes to learn all these arts at that age??? the whole story is long and complicated but to me it sounds like utter bullshido and it frequently irritates me becuase he acts superior

Posted On:
    2/13/2012 6:16pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well heres the thing his ultra epic super martial art master uncle who all of a sudden has been around tought him judo. theres countless gaps in his stories and he is always complaining about his father being a dick and not letting him do anything at all but apearently drove him back and forth between countless classes to learn all these arts at that age??? the whole story is long and complicated but to me it sounds like utter bullshido and it frequently irritates me becuase he acts superior
    Is he teaching at or running a Judo club?

If not then he's just a braggart. If you want to assuage your personal sense of outrage then contact each of the relevant rank issuing bodies and ask them if he holds a dan grade rank and when it was issued.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2012 6:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    not much is known about him and i dont think so he apearently runs a dojo and teaches wing chun and tae kwon do

Posted On:
    2/13/2012 6:36pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    not much is known about him and i dont think so he apearently runs a dojo and teaches wing chun and tae kwon do
    So you're an 'avid martial arts enthusiast' who practices 'JUDO' with all capital letters and you have 'known for years' this 'friend'.

However, despite this 'not much is known about him'?

The Gordian knot unravelled with less rapidity.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2012 6:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i capitalised judo becuase it seemed apropreaite since the thread is mostly regarding judo and yea ive known him for quite some time and when he told our friend group of all this when questioned why he never mentioned it his response was " i was afraid of being picked on and being called karate kid" and i ment not much is known about his uncle i know my friend quite well but his uncle apearently lives in florida but managed to teach him all this stuff
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast