Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2012 11:39am

Style: karate, judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

budget 12g skeet and HD shotgun for wife: S/S, O/U, or pump?

We already have a pump, but I'd like my wife to have her own 12g shotgun for both skeet and home or cabin defense. (Pistol, that she has her own, are for last ditch use sidearms in the event a long arm's not handy.) Also, wife has her own semi-auto shotgun, but has a long target/hunting barrel, clumsy for CQB. Besides semi-autos are not as K.I.S.S. reliable when fraction of seconds count. Matter of fact, I jammed it up so bad while loading, during rapid shooting exercise, thus needs a gunsmith to fix it.

so the barrel must be 20" to be allowed to use at our ranges. I'm leaning towards a coach gun with a stock solidly mounted shell carrier to hold extra slugs. at near contact-close ranges, slugs are more effective for both two legged and four legged threats.

any recommendations?
    Last edited by charlie echo; 2/13/2012 11:47am at .

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    2/13/2012 12:38pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, it seems like maybe you're expecting too much out of one gun. Tactical shotguns don't usually make the best bird guns and vice versa.

It sounds like you've already got the bird gun covered, so why not another pump set up for tactical use. I'd go with the good ole' Remington 870 or Mossberg 500/590.

When you say coach gun, you mean a double barreled coach gun, right? I think they're super cool. I want one myself. Not for self defense though. Two shells just isn't enough in my opinion.

Posted On:
    2/13/2012 1:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've got a Mossberg 500 and I love it. We used them at the prison extensively. As in thousands of rounds through them every year and don't have any issues with them. They are versitile. If you want to change the length of the barel, you could to that yourself. The pump option is what I like. I use it for hunting as well as for home security.

I've used the shorter barels when I was on the munitions squad. They are fine, but there isn't a huge difference there other than kick.

I have the wood stock, but I always liked the black composite we used at the prison.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2012 1:15pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the main reason we play skeet, aside from being fun, is to get more familiar with our tactical shotguns. come to think of it, i'll use full #4s for skeet next time

i like our Mossberg 500, with slugs. on the skeet range, I score much better with a dedicated sporting gun, the Browning

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    2/13/2012 1:36pm

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    I've got a Mossberg 500 and I love it. We used them at the prison extensively. As in thousands of rounds through them every year and don't have any issues with them. They are versitile. If you want to change the length of the barel, you could to that yourself. The pump option is what I like. I use it for hunting as well as for home security.

I've used the shorter barels when I was on the munitions squad. They are fine, but there isn't a huge difference there other than kick.

I have the wood stock, but I always liked the black composite we used at the prison.

Mossberg 500 is what I got for my mom. And with the long barrel, you can use it for sports! For HD, just put the short barrel on! Put a nice shock absorbing stock, and your lady will love taking it to the range.
    Best Vietnam War music video I've ever seen put together by a vet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDY8raKsdfg

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    2/13/2012 1:37pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, what's your question? You've got the Browning. You've got the Mossberg. You know the advantages and disadvantages of each. What are you asking?

I may suggest all sorts of stuff if money isn't an issue, but it sounds like you're wanting to keep it cheap so that leaves you with a handful of proven options to choose from.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2012 1:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by devil View Post
    So, what's your question? You've got the Browning. You've got the Mossberg. You know the advantages and disadvantages of each. What are you asking?

I may suggest all sorts of stuff if money isn't an issue, but it sounds like you're wanting to keep it cheap so that leaves you with a handful of proven options to choose from.
    for $400~500, may be a S/S (Coach) or an Over/Under (O/U): looking for a specific shotgun recommendation, with 20" barrel...

seems like most O/Us are over $1,000 and have longer, 26" ~28", barrels...

Posted On:
    2/13/2012 1:50pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Stoeger is the way to go for what you're looking for. Tons of side by side and over/under coach guns.

http://www.impactguns.com/stoeger-do...084310893.aspx

An over/under is kind of a weird way to go for home defense in my opinion, but they're definitely cool. I'd buy one.

Posted On:
    2/13/2012 2:30pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Comedy/Balls-out option:

Serbu Super Shorty.