Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2012 8:52am

Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A black belt means you have a basic ability to perform the techniques. On this basis I see no problem with 12 year old Black Belts.

The problem comes from the public perception which is that black belts means a high level of skill or infers some sort of "expert" status which of course it doesn't.

Posted On:
    2/16/2012 9:18am

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rne02 View Post
    The problem comes from the public perception which is that black belts means a high level of skill or infers some sort of "expert" status which of course it doesn't.
    What is a yellow belt for then? Nothing?

I understand that Black Belt shouldn't be seen as the finish line, but it should be a long way off the start line or what's the point?

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/16/2012 10:00am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A black belt means you have a basic ability to perform the techniques. On this basis I see no problem with 12 year old Black Belts.

The problem was born from people giving out BBs and saying it is a high level of skill. This perception was created by the same people that award the belts. So, that is why it should stop.

We blame the public, but no one came out against the claims when movies like the Karate Kid, BloodSport, Sidekicks, and etc took it outside of the dojo.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/16/2012 10:51am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I had two under 12 blackbelts walk into my school to try out classes. After the 2nd day the older of the two, who had earned his second degree, asked what belt he could wear in my school. I told him he could where anything from white to his blackbelt. The younger of the two, and a "first degree" blackbelt said "I don't want to wear my blackbelt anymore".

I looked at the "2nd degree" and asked what he felt comfortable with. He said maybe a green belt. Green belt is barely intermediate in our school. So basics? It'd be better to define what basics really are.

Posted On:
    2/16/2012 11:00am

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This thread has made me consider applying for my black-belt tag.

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2012 12:05pm

Style: KK

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What a black belt "means" completely varies from system to system. How it it "perceived" is more consistent, and generally wrong.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2012 5:13pm

Style: Kissaki Kai/Shotokan/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In our style a black belt means mastering the basics which a 12 can certainly do. But it also means reasonable control of self and reasonable control of others. This is what 12 years have trouble with. Most 12 year olds can't reasonably control an untrained adult. When they can I think they should be able to wear an adult black belt.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.857363,-74.872335

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2012 8:51pm

Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I always think of a Black-Belt (from a respectable gym not a mcdojo) representing knowledge and good application of skill of around 90% of the system, and the grades above that as representing levels of mastery.

Am I wrong in thinking this? Some peoples opinions seem to be vastly different from what I thought it was.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2012 11:01pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Black belt ranges in different clubs/schools. My school there isnt much after black belt, not that I have heard anyway, from all the techniques required to learn for black belt, I couldn't imagine much more. If anything we perfect our old ones, and well venture off to learn more from other martial arts. This is why I disagree with children gaining black belts in my club, half the reason is theres no way a child could focus on so much.

In other schools, black belt is the beginning. When I tried taekwondo, the first belt the only requirement was a front kick and a few basic movements. Yellow belt wasnt much different, it was round kick. By the time you get black belt, you have a very good understanding of all the kicks and are able to learn "Black belt techniques." Please note, this is one branch of taekwondo.

Everyone has their opinions on what a black belt is, I personally dissagree with the taekwondo way, from stories Ive heard of white belts turning black through years of training, I cant see that happening by learning a few basic kicks. You need to put blood and sweat into it, you need to fight for it, this is martial arts. Its not a dance club where you learn a series of movements, theres a lot more to it, my view on a black belt is just the beginning, yet of a new chapter.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567