Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/12/2012 9:34am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Dealing with soreness

Hey folks, I just started Muay Thai last week. I have it on Wednesdays and Fridays, and after last Wednesday, I was just too sore to go Friday.

What strategies to do you have to deal with soreness? We already do plenty of stretches and warmups before training. I'd like to be able to go both Wednesdays and Fridays, so any help would be appreciated.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2012 9:39am

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just keep at it. It won't last, or at least not to the point where you feel you can't go back in the gym.

Also remeber that rehydration is important, as is a good warm down and stretch after class, something you didn't mention in your post.

Posted On:
    2/12/2012 9:48am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the tip, we don't have warm downs as during training time, so I guess I'll do those myself. You have any tips?

Also, part of it might have been that, in a moment of Extreme Stupid, I forgot to bring a bottle of water. Not sure what got into my head, but I didn't have water there.

Posted On:
    2/12/2012 9:49am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One part tiger balm, one part stop being a girly man.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Posted On:
    2/12/2012 9:56am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There isn't a magic trick, you are going to have to get used to it, and it will reduce in pain as you get fitter and fitter. I still get sore after boxing in some places like my back..just go to the next class and it will subside. You can buy Voltaren/bengey( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bengay ) or take paracetamol if it is too much.

Posted On:
    2/12/2012 10:37am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just keep at it. That soreness is your muscles being crying little bitches because they're doing something new that upsets them. The only way to make it go away is to keep going regularly so you can get used to it and tell your muscles to stop their whining. Skipping because you're sore will just get you sore again when you go back.

Posted On:
    2/12/2012 11:40am

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Take a shower as soon as possible after training, nice and warm then cold as possible, helped me a great deal when I started Kyokushin.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    2/12/2012 11:55am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Movement helps get the lactic acid out of muscle cells. Lactic acid is what makes you sore. When your muscles run out of available oxygen, the end result of the metabolic pathway is lactic acid.

Massage also helps. Hot showers too as previously mentioned.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2012 12:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lactic acid is one cause, but sometimes it's just part of the process of building muscle. Hydration has been mentioned,but also make sure you get enough potassium, vitamin C, and protein. And keep the muscles moving so as they heal and grow they don't stiffen. It will go away as your muscles adapt to the new strain you are putting on them. And if you pull a muscle or are bruised from contact as opposed to just sore, ice it for the first 1-2 days before you use any heat. Heat will just cause more inflammation.

And definitely massage.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2012 2:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    Movement helps get the lactic acid out of muscle cells. Lactic acid is what makes you sore. When your muscles run out of available oxygen, the end result of the metabolic pathway is lactic acid.
    Lactic acid is usually cleared from the system after 30-60 minutes. The soreness that's still around after a day or two is caused by micro-tears/ruptures in the muscle fibres - tears from extending and rupture from exertion. Both of these will abate once your muscles get used to the particular stresses and strains that your workout is putting them under.

In other words - man up and keep at it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast