Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    3/22/2012 2:31pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang View Post
    Drinking 4L of liquid over the course of the day is easier than eating the equivalent calories in eggs (37).
    Calories, maybe. But protein equivalent only comes out to be about 12 eggs, which isn't hard at all. And the eggs' protein is much better. Higher biological value, which means you use more of it and less goes to waste.

4 liters (slightly over 1 gallon) of milk is 2000 calories. You'd be an idiot to get that many calories from milk alone. But from those 2000 calories, you only get a little over 120 grams of protein that is going to be very, very difficult to digest. A dozen eggs will give you the equivalent amount of protein, in a much easier to digest form, a better quality, half as many calories, and half as much $$$
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Posted On:
    3/22/2012 8:41pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Except the whole point of the GOMAD diet is weight gain for people who have a lot of difficulty eating enough calories. There are better sources of protein if thats all you want.

In terms of using eggs as a protein supplement i agree with you, one of my meals at work is omega 3 scrambled eggs with chives, ham and no bread. Very cheap and good source of protein.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    3/23/2012 12:04am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Drinking 4L of liquid over the course of the day is easier than eating the equivalent calories in eggs (37).
    There's PLENTY of dense food.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Posted On:
    3/23/2012 12:18am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Except the whole point of the GOMAD diet is weight gain for people who have a lot of difficulty eating enough calories. There are better sources of protein if thats all you want.

In terms of using eggs as a protein supplement i agree with you, one of my meals at work is omega 3 scrambled eggs with chives, ham and no bread. Very cheap and good source of protein.
    Yes, that's what it is. But the person who asked the question already said the GOMAD is not for him, so now I'm suggesting eggs as a protein source that I recommend. Wasn't trying to start a fight with you bro.

- The Wastrel

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/23/2012 4:59am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cayvmann View Post
    Milk is unnecessary. Get your protein from other sources. That's pretty much all I have.
    I have to agree with this. There is no need to have one source of protein to such an excess when you can have multiple sources in moderation.
    Milk, Eggs, Chicken, Cheese, Fish, Nuts, Protein shakes.

After bodybuilding for about 6 years and going through the bulking and cutting phases countless times, eating whole chickens, 10 eggs a day etc..I pretty much have muscle gain down to a fine art, however I came to realise that a lot of muscle I was carrying was not functional, if anything it was a hindrance, my core strength was extremely poor and my cardio and flexibility was terrible too.

When I started Muay Thai and MMA I totally changed my outlook on health and fitness, Size and strength are no longer a priority and now I focus mainly on Explosive power, cardiovascular endurance, flexibility, core strength, Muscular endurance and speed.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    3/23/2012 10:27am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you really can't gain weight, try the "jar of peanut butter a day" plan
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    3/23/2012 6:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache View Post
    If you really can't gain weight, try the "jar of peanut butter a day" plan
    LOL that sounds ridiculous

"Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Posted On:
    3/23/2012 9:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my opinion, carbohydrates actually make a bigger difference in weight gain than protein does. Now, of course, you have to have a lot of protein. But there's only so much protein you can eat that will matter. As long as you have sufficient protein, increasing your carbohydrate content will be what makes the difference in weight gain.

- The Wastrel

Posted On:
    3/23/2012 11:33pm

Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TaeBo_Master View Post
    In my opinion, carbohydrates actually make a bigger difference in weight gain than protein does. Now, of course, you have to have a lot of protein. But there's only so much protein you can eat that will matter. As long as you have sufficient protein, increasing your carbohydrate content will be what makes the difference in weight gain.
    Do you follow the "twice your body weight in protein" idea?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Posted On:
    3/24/2012 4:09am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwilde88 View Post
    Do you follow the "twice your body weight in protein" idea?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    Well, that varies tremendously on which measurements you're using for your body weight and your protein intake. If you're measuring your weight in kilograms instead of pounds, it's going to be a very different result. I've never seen protein measured in anything but grams... but if for some reason you're measuring your protein in ounces or kilograms or something, that would obviously skew the results tremendously.

My personal philosophy is as follows (and I cannot stress enough that this particular advice is simply my own method. It's the result of seeing all the different protein recommendations out there, consulting with a nephrologist on whether a high-protein intake is inherently dangerous for the kidneys [it's not], and finding a personal preference.):

Protein intake (in grams) = desired bodyweight (in pounds). For example, currently my bodyweight fluctuates between 215 and 220 lbs, and I desire to increase that to 230-240 lbs. So my current protein intake is actually around 240-250 grams of protein. If you measure your bodyweight in kilograms, then you're not far off. Since 1kg = 2.2 lbs, then doubling your bodyweight in KG and converting to grams will give you pretty close to your preferred protein intake.

- The Wastrel
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 5 LastLast