Posted On:
    3/21/2012 10:30am

Join us... or die
     Style: comparison shopping

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache View Post
    Seriously why are all you guys so obsessed with milk
    I'm just doing what some guy on the internet told me to do to get big and strong. You can't argue with that kind of authority

Milk is a shitty source of mass protein

The whole gallon is 120 ish grams of protein AND 2000 CALORIES OF CARBS

Why do that to yourself? Eat an egg. Eat a bean. Have a fucking piece of fish
    But carbs are good too right? Beans give me gas. Fish is gross. How about steak?

heaven sent and hell bent but weapons clenched and well kept

Posted On:
    3/21/2012 10:46am

supporting member
     Style: 

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    I think it's lactose intolerance. After taking a break to let things even
    Lindz I am a milk-and-cereal fiend since childhood, but as I've aged I've gotten the same effects you're getting....my body over the years seems to handle milk less and less comfortably...I now pay dearly for a single bowl of cereal. The worst for me is that a nice bowl of cereal is usually my late night snack, and then following morning I'm on the toilet first thing, crying for god to make the pain stop.

But, you can try some things....try skim instead of 2%/whole. Try powdered instead of store bought....both of those, I've noticed, helps reduce the gas and other unpleasantness. Or as others have said, try dumping milk completely since you're not a baby cow. Milk lovers (esp chocolate milk lovers like myself) may not be able to drop it completely, but you can give it a shot.

But clearly, based on what I've read, EVERYONE becomes more and more lactose intolerant as their bodies age.

That sucks, because here is an article from a few months back about how great chocolate milk is as an after-workout drink.

Before your stomach recoils, take a look at chocolate milk's ingredients list. For a high-endurance athlete, Stager's team sees it as a catch-all workout recovery drink. Compared to plain milk, water, or most sports drinks, it has double the carbohydrate and protein content, perfect for replenishing tired muscles. Its high water content replaces fluids lost as sweat, preventing dehydration. Plus it packs a nutritional bonus of calcium, and includes just a little sodium and sugar -- additives that help recovering athletes retain water and regain energy.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 3/21/2012 10:51am at .

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/21/2012 11:47am

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TaeBo_Master View Post
    This is truth here. The protein in milk is good stuff, but proportionately there's not a whole lot. Personally, I include milk in my daily diet for the calcium and a few vitamins, not the protein.

Eggs are without a doubt the best source of protein there is. Not only is the density of protein high, but it's Biological Value is very high (for the uninitiated, BV represents how closely the Amino Acid content mirrors the AAs that are needed by human cells and therefore, how much of the protein is actually able to be used by your body). Plus, eggs are cheap. You can get 18 extra large eggs for like 2 bucks. Oh, and no lactose.
    Do you know how long egg protein takes to be digested and used by your muscles? I'm trying to find something comparable to whey since I'm broke and would like to cut protein powder from my diet without losing the nutrition and fast absorbed protein.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    3/21/2012 6:57pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jwilde88 View Post
    Do you know how long egg protein takes to be digested and used by your muscles? I'm trying to find something comparable to whey since I'm broke and would like to cut protein powder from my diet without losing the nutrition and fast absorbed protein.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    To be honest, I wouldn't worry a whole hell of a lot about how fast the protein is absorbed into your system. Unless the only protein you're eating in a day is after your workout, your system should have enough available to draw on for recovery. Of course, that's assuming that your nutrition is on point. If you're getting enough protein in the day, and you've got divided among fairly frequent meals, you'll be golden. Recovery is a long process, and will require protein throughout the day.

Personally, I eat a bunch of eggs with breakfast, and meat sources later in the day. I actually concern myself more with increasing my carbs after a workout, rather than upping the protein amount (but there is still a proper amount of protein present). Probably 60% of my daily carbohydrates are in my post-workout meal. That's because the carbohydrates accelerate the rate at which protein and other nutrients are absorbed into the cells. Also, carbohydrates satisfy the immediate calorie and energy needs of the depleted muscles, allowing the protein to used for cell repair, rather than converted and burned for energy.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

Flyweight

Posted On:
    3/21/2012 9:54pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

People recommend milk for weight gain because it's an easy way to supplement the amount of calories you take in, and it's a good mix of protein, carbs and fats. It's supposed to be in addition to a diet of as much as food as you can shove in your mouth.

There's also some speculation now that it helps with strength gains/hypertrophy:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...5/?tool=pubmed
    :Determined:
    HTFU and join Bullshido on Fitocracy!
    http://ftcy.co/tBAxyj

Posted On:
    3/21/2012 11:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There's nothing wrong with milk. But there's nothing magical about it either. It's a select mixture of chemicals, like every other dietary item. No one item will give you everything you need. The trick is selecting the various foodstuffs that give you the most ideal mixture of chemicals that your body needs to perform its functions.

- The Wastrel

Posted On:
    3/22/2012 1:14am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

GOMAD program is for those twig thin guys who eat as much as they can and then when they can't put on any mass tell people its not in their genetics. The whole point is its a fucktonne of calories in a cheap, easily consumable form.

GOMAD is not for the guys carrying some weight already with an average build who want to put on some muscle.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Posted On:
    3/22/2012 2:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eggs. Milk doesn't compare with eggs in either protein or in cost.

- The Wastrel

Posted On:
    3/22/2012 6:51am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TaeBo_Master View Post
    Eggs. Milk doesn't compare with eggs in either protein or in cost.
    Drinking 4L of liquid over the course of the day is easier than eating the equivalent calories in eggs (37).
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Posted On:
    3/22/2012 1:54pm

Join us... or die
     Style: comparison shopping

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang View Post
    GOMAD program is for those twig thin guys who eat as much as they can and then when they can't put on any mass tell people its not in their genetics. The whole point is its a fucktonne of calories in a cheap, easily consumable form.

GOMAD is not for the guys carrying some weight already with an average build who want to put on some muscle.
    Then GOMAD is not for me
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast