Posted On:
    2/21/2012 2:20am

supporting member
     Style: Kung Fu Swordfighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lindz View Post
    I think it might be illegal unless you live on the farm
    You have to own a cow (or a share in a cow) to obtain raw milk.
    Coincidentally, raw milk is the leading cause of food poisoning in the US:
    http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/12/health...ide/index.html
    If your body can't handle massive quantities of milk (I go through a gallon of whole milk every 2-3 days, and that's when I'm NOT lifting), blame your ancestors for raising crops instead of cattle. You'll have to find another cheap protein source.
    The fool thinks himself immortal,
    If he hold back from battle;
    But old age will grant him no truce,
    Even if spears spare him.

Posted On:
    2/21/2012 2:57am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been doing cottage cheese and deadlifts lately, not much help if you can't handle dairy.

The other option is just to find a cheap butcher and buy meat in bulk. I got my rump steaks at 1/3rd the price of supermarket meats by buying at a Vietnamese butcher, the quality is surprisingly much better too.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Posted On:
    3/01/2012 4:16am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In my experience, the gallon of milk a day plan helps you gain weight. Fat weight. Lots of lots of fat and a big ol bloated belly.
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    3/12/2012 1:51pm

supporting member
     Style: yoga/bodyweight mainly

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was drinking whole milk and didn't experience bloating or fat gain, but everybody's body is different. Maybe you could counteract that with 1% or skim milk. I know soy milk is good for omega 3s and the type of protein could also possibly be better for muscle gains than dairy milk.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9650 using Tapatalk
    Start a training log!

Posted On:
    3/12/2012 6:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it's lactose intolerance. After taking a break to let things even out, i started drinking a cup of milk a day.
    I got mild gas from that
    I'll just have to eat meat instead

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    3/12/2012 7:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    + for goat milk, I get it from a friend's mom, she had a bunch of goats.
    For those who are looking for raw milk, look around farm or livestock areas for "kitty milk", it's a way that people purchase raw milk "for their cats", thus getting around FDA regulations.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    3/20/2012 4:32pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Keep in mind that the human body only handles milk reluctantly, even for those people whom we don't classify as lactose intolerant. The lactose sugar molecule requires its own special enzyme to break it down (so do most things), and even the best of us only have a relatively small amount of it that we produce.
    Ironically, when you're a baby and very young child you have that enzyme (and others involved in milk digestion) in much greater abundance, because evolution expects you to be drinking milk from your mom's tits. By the time you're a teenager or adult, you've drastically reduced how much you produce because you're not expected to be drinking milk any longer. In essence, the adult body was not designed to be a milk drinking machine. This is the same reason why the gallon challenge is so impassable.
    That doesn't mean that milk is bad for you, it just means that each person has an upper limit on how much they can tolerate. A cow's milk was evolved to feed her calves, not you.

Quote Originally Posted by 1point2
    I normally drink real milk--unhomogenized, fresh from the cow--but recently drank a half gallon of "normal" supermarket "milk" and was reminded of another variable here.

People can often have major digestive trouble with homogenized, pasteurized, supermarket milk that they don't get from actual milk. If you can find the real thing, it's very very different and worth a try.
    Homogenization and Pasteurization are good things. Homogenization is there to prevent the cream and water from separating in the milk. Pasteurization is simply there to kill microorganisms so people don't get food poisoning.
    To homogenize, the milk is forced under pressure through very narrow tubes. This breaks up the fat globules which allows them to more thoroughly dissolve in water. To pasteurize, milk is very quickly heated, then chilled. It does reduce the quantity of some B and C vitamins, but the losses are minimal. In fact, if milk were not pasteurized, then chemical preservatives would have to be added, and that would affect the quality of the milk.
    No chemicals are added or subtracted. Nothing is really changed about the milk itself. It just lasts longer and makes you less sick this way.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    3/21/2012 1:01am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seriously why are all you guys so obsessed with milk

Milk is a shitty source of mass protein

The whole gallon is 120 ish grams of protein AND 2000 CALORIES OF CARBS

Why do that to yourself? Eat an egg. Eat a bean. Have a fucking piece of fish
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Certified Fitness Trainer

Posted On:
    3/21/2012 2:48am

Style: Judo, Jujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyCache View Post
    Seriously why are all you guys so obsessed with milk

Milk is a shitty source of mass protein

The whole gallon is 120 ish grams of protein AND 2000 CALORIES OF CARBS

Why do that to yourself? Eat an egg. Eat a bean. Have a fucking piece of fish
    This is truth here. The protein in milk is good stuff, but proportionately there's not a whole lot. Personally, I include milk in my daily diet for the calcium and a few vitamins, not the protein.

Eggs are without a doubt the best source of protein there is. Not only is the density of protein high, but it's Biological Value is very high (for the uninitiated, BV represents how closely the Amino Acid content mirrors the AAs that are needed by human cells and therefore, how much of the protein is actually able to be used by your body). Plus, eggs are cheap. You can get 18 extra large eggs for like 2 bucks. Oh, and no lactose.
    Click To Get My Free Training Newsletter... Do It NOW!

"You all just got fucking owned.";
    "TaeBo_Master and GajusCaesar just scored 10,000,000 points on all you pawns."

- The Wastrel
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast