Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/27/2013 1:26pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Combining aikido and bjj?

Ok check this out....combining aikido and bjj...good idea?

http://www.aikibjj.com/

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    2/27/2013 1:34pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This belongs in YMAS, not the MMA forum.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/27/2013 1:42pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Moved.

This is no joke, no sarcasm. Anybody practicing any serious level of grappling is already practicing Aiki.

Posted On:
    2/27/2013 1:46pm

Style: JiuJistu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just read something funny on the site...
    When combined, these two Arts hence become Aiki Jiu Jitsu (pronounced part Japanese Aiki, and part Portuguese ˈʒu ˈʒitsu) .
    I mean seriously, since when is the word jiu jitsu of Portuguese nature? WTF?

Oh and another gem...
    Training in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu began in 2007 at Gracie Barra Calgary where he trained under Professor Josh Russell.
    where he trained... so - past... so he doesn't train anymore and he doesn't say what kind of rank he is holding in BJJ but he is teaching it and creating his own style based on that?

Not saying the guy is a fake or anything, just saying, people should put some more time into their texts/marketing material.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    2/27/2013 1:47pm

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Moved.

This is no joke, no sarcasm. Anybody practicing any serious level of grappling is already practicing Aiki.
    Just not with an elitist, holier than thou, I get to wear Magic_Pants, hero worship either a batshit crazy Jap or, a wife beating fat, balding, pony-tail wearing attitude... I guess.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    2/27/2013 2:02pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by franginho View Post
    I mean seriously, since when is the word jiu jitsu of Portuguese nature? WTF?
    As far as I know, the inclusion of the letter "i" in the word jiu-jitsu was originally a Portuguese romanization of the Japanese term jujutsu.

Others here are more qualified to answer than I am however.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Just not with an elitist, holier than thou, I get to wear Magic_Pants, hero worship either a batshit crazy Jap or, a wife beating fat, balding, pony-tail wearing attitude... I guess.
    Correct. Developing the kind of sensitivity Omega is referring to only comes about after years, if not decades, of training in a hard sparring art.

When Rickson Gracie talks about "invisible jiu-jitsu", he's discussing principles that are wholly congruent with Aiki concepts. I believe it was Rickson that used the term, "Flow with the go", as an underlying theme in his idea of invisible jiu-jitsu.

I made a training log entry a year or so ago where I discussed the revelation that my personal style had completely changed over the course of a decade of training. I went from being a meathead wrestler who "did" BJJ, to a guy who flows with the go 90% of the time. If I recall correctly, I bemoaned the fact that I had evolved into an Aiki hippy on the mat.

Then again, pulling off moves effortlessly against a fully resisting opponent never gets old for me. So there's that.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    2/27/2013 2:15pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by shokenman View Post
    Ok check this out....combining aikido and bjj...good idea?

http://www.aikibjj.com/
    Is it a good idea? That boils down to how qualified and how good of a teacher the instructor is. That question is most easily answered by attending a class in person. Mr. Alexander has been training for a long time from the sound of his bio. That doesn't mean he's a good martial artist or instructor however.

Generally speaking, if he's got skill from his previous arts and is at least a purple belt in BJJ, then he could conceivably be qualified to teach a hybrid system. Maybe he's a really talented blue who got held back for some reason. It's hard to make an informed judgement based on nothing more than a website.

Assuming you're interested in joining, I suggest going to watch a class. Ask if they compete in local grappling competitions. If they do, do they win? Has Mr. Alexander ever competed? How did he do?

It would also help if we knew how much martial experience you have as well. Are you brand new, or a veteran in martial arts? If so, which arts?

If you're asking an idle question, then disregard the above.

Posted On:
    2/27/2013 2:53pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    As far as I know, the inclusion of the letter "i" in the word jiu-jitsu was originally a Portuguese romanization of the Japanese term jujutsu.

Others here are more qualified to answer than I am however.
    Yeah, phonetically you are breaking your tongue if you try to say jujutsu with strong/hard vowles. Still from my point of view - with a certain background in languages - the root is Japanese derived... Would be the same as I call Rucksack russian or English, it is neither, it comes from German.
    TL:DR I guess that is all irrelevant to the fundamental question at hand.

I have seen a school here(down in the motherland) that has people teaching The Jits and Aikido in the same school by the same guy... never trained there but as far as I know they are associated to one of the big one around here IBJJF our FESPBJJ and never heard of anyone crappling jits around here... So I assume one could do it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/27/2013 4:18pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here is my thing... I don't see the advantage to adding Aikido to BJJ. Why not just train BJJ? Do they want to get weirdly good at using wrist locks in BJJ comps or something? I guess Magic Pants are pretty exciting.

Posted On:
    2/27/2013 4:26pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IF you have a solid understanding of balance and timing (which aikido supposedly provides) you can gain lots for your Jits. Especially Take-downs and Sweeps would benefit from such enhanced knowledge.

True - it all boils down to body mechanics - but how you get there, maybe aikido helps.

PS: Wristlocks are extremely underrated/used. I love to get a wrist lock tap instead of the armbar when they are strong at defending, people are just not looking for/expecting that. Same goes for side control, it is there, people are on alert for chokes and the kimura/americana - wrist lock? Not so much.
    Also when people are trying to strong arm me in the stand up it can trip them off and get them worried, even if not successful....
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast