Administrator

Posted On:
    2/16/2012 1:14pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know.

Sorry let me be clear. It is interesting that there is an Ernie Wright, with a close enough spelling, which makes you wonder if his whole bio is built on BS. E. Wight? Before the internet he could have rode off Ernie's fame. Many frauds try to play the "oops wrong spelling" and "name change" game. I mentioned Wright to stop any lurkers form going this route and to show that he may have appropriated parts of this guys bio. Yes, we have had people do that as well.
    Also, I emailed the Chargers to find out if he was on a practice squad.

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....

Posted On:
    2/16/2012 1:43pm

Style: JKD & Mok'bara

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nointro View Post
    Steve Anderson himself seems to be full of very bold claims see;

http://www.usadojo.com/biographies/steve-anderson.htm

and;

http://www.steveandersonkarate.com/trainers.php

Some examples;

"In the 1980’s Steve Anderson dominated all National Karate Circuits as he won more Karate tournaments than any other man or woman in the history of Martial Arts, this including Chuck Norris and Billy Blanks. Mr. Steve Anderson has even gone undefeated for a whole year, something that has still not been done yet."

...and notice any deja vu in the following?

"With a massive fitness background from NCAA Football and Wrestling as well as California State Track and Field coupled with unique special forces training in the Navy, Steve “Nasty” Anderson was far ahead of the competition when it came to knowledge of combat, performance athletics, speed training, and motivational training."
    "Nasty" Anderson is something of a legend on the point/semi-contact circuit. I remember him mainly from losing to Alfie Lewis in a catch-weight match at a "Clash of the Titans" event, although that is probably more to do with how good Alfie was than anything else. Also if I recall it was a point format and with Alfie being a LHW and Anderson being arguably a SHW the result should not be suprising.

Anyway, if I recall Anderson was unbeaten in the 1984-1985 tournament year. He held titles with recognised orgs (ISKA, WAKO, NASKA etc) and within his field is certainly legit

I beiieve he currently heads WKA in Canada

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    2/16/2012 1:45pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by nointro View Post
    Steve Anderson himself seems to be full of very bold claims see;
    I did have the opportunity to see Mr. Anderson fight in the mid-80's St. Louis (Yarnall's Gateway Open & Budweiser Karate Classic) and Chicago (a few of Tom Letuli and Fred Degerberg's productions). He was at least a legit point fighter; kind of self-promoting, but a decent fighter.

Posted On:
    2/16/2012 4:17pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've sent a message to Mr. Anderson. Hopefully he responds.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/16/2012 5:10pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Let's Leave Anderson out mainly because, NCAA Football and College track is not a huge deal. Sorry, but unless you were a star or elite player, there are millions of ex-track and football players. World Title in MA? Not knocking the guy, but those were a little more realistic back then. Still the 80s are when the MA boom started and 10 titles is not surprising at all.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2012 8:47pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did find a reference to a person named "Emile Wright" in Black Belt magazine (August 1995) winning in the "Battle of Atlanta" senior, lightweight class. Maybe this is the championship...

http://books.google.com/books?id=G9I...weight&f=false

This fact, coupled with the fact that he is a Cubs fan, leaves me with only one feeling...he's good people, investigation over.
    Last edited by TexJohn; 2/16/2012 8:51pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/17/2012 10:19am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.glorifythepast.com/chargers-stats/1960.php#

Still looking for a better and more official looking website, but he is not listed on any player rosters.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/04/2012 2:42am

Style: Boxing, Judo, Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    "Det A" means detachment A. In the Marine Corps, sometimes they split up support units across different bases. When they do this, they label each detachment as A, B and so on.

Edit: As far as I know, this is very rarely done with combat units, but I'm no military logistics expert, so I might be wrong
    I believe the seal teams were split into detachments during Vietnam, with Alpha being comprised of mostly members from team two.

I further believe that prior to the creation of seal team six in 1980, there was only teams one and two (east and west coast seals, respectively). seal three was certainly activated prior to 1990, as they were deployed as part of desert shield/desert storm.

Its been a while since I read this info, so I'll fire up some google-fu and see how far off I am... But I'm pretty sure that seal team three wasn't open for business until 1983 at least (when the remaining UDTs were absorbed into new STs), so that means that Emile was serving with them until 97.
    Last edited by JohnKenner; 3/04/2012 3:06am at . Reason: fixed dates

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    3/04/2012 2:56am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnKenner View Post
    so that means that Emile was serving with them until 96.
    He has been teaching martial arts in Herrin since at least the late 1980's, and had a school in San Diego prior to that. He was born in 1941, which would have made him 55 in 1996; that is a bit old to be an operator with any special forces unit.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/04/2012 2:43pm

Style: Boxing, Judo, Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    He has been teaching martial arts in Herrin since at least the late 1980's, and had a school in San Diego prior to that. He was born in 1941, which would have made him 55 in 1996; that is a bit old to be an operator with any special forces unit.
    Exactly. His SEAL stories have too many holes in them. Detachment Alpha would've been part of Team Two in Vietnam, which is possible given his age. However, he contradicts himself when he states he served with Team Three.

A famous wartime photographer once said: "There were 2,000 SEALs in Vietnam, and I've had the pleasure of meeting all 20,000 of them"

Its sad, considering this guy probably did serve his country at some point, and while it wasn't the SEALs it is still something to be proud of.

Anyone against me hitting this guy up on facebook and asking which BUDs class he was in?
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 67 LastLast