Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/12/2012 4:51pm

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Back in the 90's our u15 rep side hosted a rugby team from argentina (collegio guadelupe IIRC). It all went pear shaped after their captain was sent off for biting.
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

Posted On:
    2/12/2012 5:01pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cualltaigh View Post
    Back in the 90's our u15 rep side hosted a rugby team from argentina (collegio guadelupe IIRC). It all went pear shaped after their captain was sent off for biting.
    My brother went to Argentina and Chile on his Rugby tour. The Chileans came to our school for their own 'reply tour', good bunch of lads.

I don't recall him saying they had any trouble, mind you this was 5 years ago and the current anti-British sentiment seems to have been whipped up recently by politicians.

I need to check with him whether they really did name all their line-out calls after Falklands war events/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2012 5:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Hardon View Post
    ...speaking of which, there's a boat on the River Thames, which is basically a pub on the water. It has a formal name but the military all refer to it as 'The Belgrano'.

Yes, that dark military humour at work.
    Nice. I'd love to visit the UK bully group someday. When I come, make sure to show that pub to me.

Also, the Argies hid the Nazis...

Posted On:
    2/12/2012 5:17pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoist View Post
    Also, the Argies hid the Nazis...
    Lol ain't that the truth. The Argie president is called Kirchner, I've been to Spain and I've been to Germany and well, you don't need to guess which one I found more Kirchners in.

Also my brother and I were lucky enough to go to private school, because our parents made a lot of sacrifices. So the schools he played against in Argentina they were the schools of the rich and powerful and every single person who went on the tour has a tale about the massive mansion they were billeted in or the obviously wealthy colonial style ranch. That were owned by the Von Klausenbergs or the Dirlewangers and filled with blond haired blue eyed inhabitants.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2012 5:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Lol ain't that the truth. The Argie president is called Kirchner, I've been to Spain and I've been to Germany and well, you don't need to guess which one I found more Kirchners in.

Also my brother and I were lucky enough to go to private school, because our parents made a lot of sacrifices. So the schools he played against in Argentina they were the schools of the rich and powerful and every single person who went on the tour has a tale about the massive mansion they were billeted in or the obviously wealthy colonial style ranch. That were owned by the Von Klausenbergs or the Dirlewangers and filled with blond haired blue eyed inhabitants.
    Considering you're European, I'll assume you're at least aware of the Jasenovac concentration camp ("The Aushwitz of the Balkans"). Guess who hid the camp's most zealous director?

Posted On:
    2/12/2012 5:42pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Considering you're European, I'll assume you're at least aware of the Jasenovac concentration camp ("The Aushwitz of the Balkans"). Guess who hid the camp's most zealous director?
    Argentina.

As an American you'll be familiar with Operation Paper clip and the immunity given to Japanese scientists of Unit 731?

An awful lot of morally reprehensible **** went down in the wake of WWII.

Posted On:
    2/12/2012 5:50pm

Style: BJJ, MMA, JJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I need to check with him whether they really did name all their line-out calls after Falklands war events/
    haha, that's so cheeky it's brilliant!

about the only thing I can remember from the game is the ref failing to understand the Argie's spanglish so he (Argie captain) re-enacted it by biting his own arm. FTW!
    Dum spiro, spero.
    Tada gan iarracht.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2012 5:54pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Argentina.

As an American you'll be familiar with Operation Paper clip and the immunity given to Japanese scientists of Unit 731?

An awful lot of morally reprehensible **** went down in the wake of WWII.
    Mate, I'm Serbian. :-)

But yeah, I know. Also, I know how one of my country's guerrila leaders was betrayed, called a collaborator by the commies and shot.

But get this: the guy recieved the Legion of Merit from the States for rescuing their airmen (LoM is the highest military decoration that the US can award to a non-citizen), and the State Dept. kept the award classified until 6 years ago so as not to offend the commies and the local Nazis he fought against.

Posted On:
    2/12/2012 6:04pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cualltaigh View Post
    haha, that's so cheeky it's brilliant!

about the only thing I can remember from the game is the ref failing to understand the Argie's spanglish so he (Argie captain) re-enacted it by biting his own arm. FTW!
    Lol yeh good banter.

We toured SA and our coach had this system where he divided the pitch into three zones; red, white and blue.

So if you wanted to call an attacking manoeuvre into a specific part of the pitch you called the colour code.

That was all well and good up until we were in East London, SA, and packing down against an all black opposition front row. Our hooker called out the pitch section call by bellowing 'White boys! White boys! White boys!'.

The black front row opposition bellowed back 'Black boys! Black boys! Black boys!'.

Never been so unintentionally embarrassed in my life.

Posted On:
    2/12/2012 6:14pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Mate, I'm Serbian. :-).
    Serbian? What's that? Isn't it something you use to scare Dutch people with?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast