Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2012 2:49pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not even a professional boxer can be sure what will happen if he hits an assailant squarely on the jaw with a closed fist. The other man might fall to the ground unconscious, or he might not—and without gloves, the boxer might break his hand on the first punch...
    Sure am glad he's told me I'm wasting my time with boxing and I'll never survive without his BJJ d34dl3y and save my paper mache bones from the street. The Gracies' balls are so deep in his mouth he practically breathing nut sack.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2012 2:57pm

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by P Marsh View Post
    Sure am glad he's told me I'm wasting my time with boxing and I'll never survive without his BJJ d34dl3y and save my paper mache bones from the street. The Gracies' balls are so deep in his mouth he practically breathing nut sack.
    Well, at least he's "backtracking" a bit later when he goes through the various distances. My impression has been mostly that he's been just exposed to BJJ by an expert for the first time and is quite floored (get it, floored, haha...).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2012 2:59pm

Style: BJJ / Kyokushinkai Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    P Marsh, I didn't see that in his article tbh. And whenever someone attacks boxing I'm in the front line defending it (my father is an ex-amateur boxer and we sometimes box together although he is 72 years now, he is still very good at explaining fight strategies). It's like that: If you hit someone with a bare hand, it hurts. A boxer won't break his hand though, that's bullshit in 99% of the time (only if he is unlucky).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2012 3:44pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Prone View Post
    P Marsh, I didn't see that in his article tbh. And whenever someone attacks boxing I'm in the front line defending it (my father is an ex-amateur boxer and we sometimes box together although he is 72 years now, he is still very good at explaining fight strategies). It's like that: If you hit someone with a bare hand, it hurts. A boxer won't break his hand though, that's bullshit in 99% of the time (only if he is unlucky).
    I mean nothing against you its just the faceless author for the most part isn't really thinking it **** through. Yes BJJ is very good at what it does but it is most definitely not the golden gift from god to martial artists.

He does say some very good things is just that he/she seems to drop the ball and fall into some pretty big assumptions without much to back them up.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/11/2012 9:54am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Prone View Post
    The author didn't claim a boxer's hand would break, only that it may, and that the boxer does not train ina manner to let him know conclusively what the consequences of full contact bare knuckle fighting are. The criticism is both tepid and accurate, IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/11/2012 10:19am

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    The author didn't claim a boxer's hand would break, only that it may, and that the boxer does not train ina manner to let him know conclusively what the consequences of full contact bare knuckle fighting are. The criticism is both tepid and accurate, IMO.
    I don't think this point is fleshed out too well, though. He claims that even a novice BJJ guy knows exactly what happens when he applies a triangle choke correctly. So what's a novice at BJJ? Someone who's trained a week? A month? A year?

The whole point actually falls a bit short because, yes, a novice at BJJ may know what happens when he applies a triangle choke correctly. However, actually getting there in a real self defense situation is a whole different deal (in my opinion).

So while the idea behind the whole point might be somewhat true, the light in which it is presented seems dubious.

Posted On:
    2/11/2012 10:45pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Azatdawn View Post
    I don't think this point is fleshed out too well, though. He claims that even a novice BJJ guy knows exactly what happens when he applies a triangle choke correctly. So what's a novice at BJJ? Someone who's trained a week? A month? A year?

The whole point actually falls a bit short because, yes, a novice at BJJ may know what happens when he applies a triangle choke correctly. However, actually getting there in a real self defense situation is a whole different deal (in my opinion).

So while the idea behind the whole point might be somewhat true, the light in which it is presented seems dubious.
    I think entering into any fight leaves the result in question, as a general thing. But I do get what he means. If you deliver a nice cross, you probably hurt somebody. Will he go out? Will he act as though nothing happened? Are you going to have to accumulate 10 of those before he falls down? It's possible to do it right and still hurt your hand on occasion.

But regardless of level, a properly applied triangle choke, chokes. There's a little more certainty in the result, admittedly, but the "proper" part is the real hold up. Were someone to correctly apply a triangle choke on their first day, it still chokes the guy on the losing end. Now we can properly guess the odds of a guy on his first day triangling everyone...
    I'm picturing you drooling onto the keyboard as you type, one eye rotating independent of the other as your hands mash the keys. - Sophist

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2012 3:36am

Style: Bjj & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sam Harris is a hell of a writer. If you haven't read is book the end of faith i would highly recommend it.

By the way this article was a follow up on another one he did on street violence, good one to
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12