Posted On:
    2/09/2012 2:42pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Online Gun Sale Loophole

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/463164...ossen_reports/

Yes, it has the terrible OMG Terrorists RUN Danger" writing, but it is an interesting article about the loophole in online gun sales and no background check.

Posted On:
    2/09/2012 2:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just in time for Valentine's Day!

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    2/09/2012 3:13pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's just sensationalism.

There's nothing new here. They're talking about person-to-person gun sales that take place in person. I'm allowed to sell my neighbor a gun without a background check. The only difference here is that the buyer and seller are having their initial conversations online.

If you buy a gun you can't have it shipped directly to your house. It has to go to someone with a FFL. The seller sends it to the FFL, the buyer goes to the FFL and the FFL does the background check on the buyer.

The rules are different for person-to-person sales but it isn't a loophole or anything new that people are exploiting.

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    2/09/2012 3:14pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds more like this is a craigslist type transaction than an Online Dealer; if it's within the same state, depending on the state, it's perfectly legal so long as there aren't other barriers to legal completion of the transaction.

For example, in Florida, I can sell my guns to pretty much whoever I wish, and I don't have to tell anyone; but, I am legally prevented from a few things, mainly:
    I can't buy a gun just to sell it (because I'm not FFL); that's a federal thing, I think, but I believe the state also has similar requirements. And, I can't sell a gun to somebody who's not permitted to purchase, such as minors, felons, etc.

The TLDR is this article sounds a little alarmist, as IiF noted. Also, "loophole," is an overused word and really doesn't apply. There's no law they're getting around by doing it online if the same transaction was already legal.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    2/09/2012 3:20pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Person to person sales are legal pretty much everywhere. It is the burden and liability of the seller to ensure that the purchaser is a legal one.

CT has a number you call and an instant check is done right at that moment. They give you a confirmation number that means you fulfilled this obligation and you are good to go.

None of this is new or revolutionary.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    2/09/2012 3:26pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, lol at all the .50 bmg references....shooting down helicopters and airliners. Scary stuff, I tell ya! Scary!

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/09/2012 3:29pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, I know it was sensationalism hence the whole "OMG terroists" comment. I was surprised about the loophole I thought it had been tightened. I bought my guns from store so, when this popped up years ago I thought it had been fixed.

Also, lol at all the .50 bmg references....shooting down helicopters and airliners. Scary stuff, I tell ya! Scary!
    I lol'd at many of the scare tactics. The whole "he was so laid back" was hilarious.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    2/09/2012 3:32pm

staff
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Federal government is only allowed to legislate interstate commerce.

Private sales of private property by private citizens are still more or less uhm...private. The only way you get into trouble is if you are deliberately acquiring merchandise for resale. Now you are a purveyor/vendor and you got rules.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.

Posted On:
    2/09/2012 3:37pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The whole article is crap for referring to these transactions as online sales in the first place. They're not online sales.

Posted On:
    2/09/2012 3:38pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn that pesky loophole of allowing people to sell their own property. If only we could put a stop to that and force all transactions to go through a central governmen

I'd better quit before someone takes this seriously and tries to implement it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast