Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2012 11:08am

Style: BJJ, Boxing, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiro Protagonist View Post
    All of them developed some mental illness - I guess that is the term - through their drug abuse; from depression to outright paranoia.

I can't speculate about the details, but none of them had had any run-in with the authorities when they had their respective breakdowns.

Now, what I know and see from those is enough for me to say that I don't want to have anything to do with weed; if others can handle it better: Their responsibility.

Who here is a high-grade drug consumer, to give the contrasting opinion from a firsthand perspective? I doubt anybody here smokes weed more than say, two or three times per week as the absolute maximum. - Simply because smoking and training don't really go along.
    I (used to, in the Netherlands) smoke 6-10 times a day when I have the weed and I train 2 hours in the AM and from 4:30 - 8 in the PM. I am 5-1 (loss by decision) as an amateur/semi-pro MMA fighter.

I train 5 days a week, and generally get to the open mat on saturday am too.

Weed makes training even more awesome.

My cardio isn't my strongest point, but that is because I am not a very natural athlete / don't really do enough extra cardio work like running etc.
    Last edited by Syphilis; 2/10/2012 11:16am at . Reason: (WHICH I AM GONNA DO RIGHT NOW THANKS FOR REMINDING ME WHAT i SUCK AT, SELF)

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    2/10/2012 11:52am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, by definition, then, smoking is good for your training, too?

Naah, I don't buy that.

Now, I don't judge you or anybody for smoking this or that, but I certainly don't want to have it for me.

...And as to Diaz, hell, he made an agreement. A man who gave a man's word.

The UFC gives him a shitload of money.
    He behaves as they tell him.

Not a big deal, right? Oh, wait. But Neeeeek neeeeeeeeeeeds weeeeeeed to function, or no fight.
    Fucking idiot, I hope they fire his ass.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2012 12:04pm

Style: Shorin Ryu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I never felt smoking weed affected my cardio. Sometimes it helped to focus on some of the more mundane aspects of training - road work/endurance gym work etc.

Having said that, I'm not a professional athlete, and when drug testing became the norm in my industry I stopped immediately.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2012 12:08pm

Style: BJJ, Boxing, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did not say that weed makes you a better fighter at all. I did not even imply that. I said 'weed makes training even more awesome' -FOR ME. ( I did leave that out, so apologies if you misinterpreted that).

What I wrote was that your anecdotal evidence of weed being bad, is just as retarded as the propaganda against it always has been. And it always comes from someone who has never tried it.

your response of 'nah I don't buy that' shows a complete lack of willingness to even see another viewpoint. You have no argument to back up your statements other than 'this is how I feel/believe'.

It is like people who don't train will tell you how to correctly do your armbar;
    the best steermen (ruddermen? Pilots?) are on land.

edit:
    (Also, I USED to. I quit when I moved countries because of obvious reasons. It sucked for like 2-4 days, because I smoked to much, and it was also kind of a habit, but after 2-4 then I didn't even care about it anymore.)
    Last edited by Syphilis; 2/10/2012 12:15pm at .

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    2/10/2012 12:13pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Who here is a high-grade drug consumer, to give the contrasting opinion from a firsthand perspective? I doubt anybody here smokes weed more than say, two or three times per week as the absolute maximum. - Simply because smoking and training don't really go along.
    There are a lot of pot smoking grapplers out there. Two or three guys I train with smell like it when we roll. The gi seems to absorb the smell. Before you ask if they're beginners, they are all purple belts that don't suck.

I'm not arguing for or against anything, just being informative. I'll say this about the stoners who train, they never reek as bad as cigarette smokers. Those guys are the worst.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2012 12:32pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find smoking after training to be enjoyable, helps me clean the house. I train with a lot of cops from the area, and I don't like smelling like it in class.

Also there have been case studies connecting Marijuana use to mental issues (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/arti...tool=pmcentrez)

Conclusion Cannabis use moderately increases the risk of psychotic symptoms in young people but has a much stronger effect in those with evidence of predisposition for psychosis.
    This study was very thorough. Though as Omega pointed out earlier. I do smoke it, so I am biased.

(though then again i fail to see how someone who doesn't smoke it isn't equally biased in the other direction. Many people who have never done it or had limited experiences with it tend to adhere to the "Reefer Madness" arguments, and tend to have a lack of understanding and efficacy towards the culture surrounding the plant/drug. If someone had done it in the past for a stretch, then quit due to unavoidable reasons (having a kid, facing jailtime, or just growing out of it, etc.), I would accept there opinion as lessed biased. However I don't think bias is something we can avoid with a topic like this.)

I personally don't see Marijuana as a performance enhancing drug any more than cigarettes or alcohol. It's a vice. Vices can be abused. While cigarettes and alcohol have proven negative affects on athletic performance, there is nothing connecting marijuana to a lack of anything in athletic capabilities, and in some cases to the contrary: (Michael Phelps' 8 world records/gold medals, Nick Diaz' crazy cardio).

EDIT: Though it does make me pretty lazy sometimes.

TL;DR Marijuana will make you see dragons and kill your wife... <<< fact
    Last edited by Zerstörer90; 2/10/2012 12:41pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2012 4:16pm

Style: lazy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I plan on consuming 2-3 times a week. When I'm ready to cut down more than I already have.

I will agree smoking and training don't go along though. I'm not fluent enough with my grappling yet to do it stoned. Sparring on weed can be O.K. but only if you're just fucking around.

Is one of your twenty friends named Thurgood?

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    2/10/2012 5:14pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphilis View Post
    What I wrote was that your anecdotal evidence of weed being bad, is just as retarded as the propaganda against it always has been. And it always comes from someone who has never tried it.

your response of 'nah I don't buy that' shows a complete lack of willingness to even see another viewpoint. You have no argument to back up your statements other than 'this is how I feel/believe'.
    Actually, I didn't want to make this any way confrontational: Between praising/advocating drugs, and demonizing them, there is a middle ground, and that's where I am. Meaning that I don't care either way; I firmly believe, and can tell so by my own experience, that it's not beneficial to intoxicate yourself in any way before you train - or do anything else, for that matter.

Now, if that is your choice, and you function well with it, no problem, as long you don't want me to follow your example.

That doesn't mean I am a drug virgin, or that I think legalization equals zombie apocalypse; it's just not my way of doing things.

Aaaah, good little boyscout that I am coming off as here.
    The point being: **** NICK DIAZ, for behaving like one of those sweet 16 girls on MTV. So, for 200,000 $, he cannot keep his piss clean from Thanksgiving to Carnival. **** him with a chopstick. With 200 grand, what would you do? That's as much as Dan Miller needed to pay for the liver transplant for his son. But yeah, Nick can smoke it away, because, you know the 209 wouldn't think he's cool any more if he stopped smoking for, say, two weeks of detox. A fucking asshole, that he is.

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    2/10/2012 5:26pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jdempsey View Post
    I plan on consuming 2-3 times a week. When I'm ready to cut down more than I already have.

I will agree smoking and training don't go along though. I'm not fluent enough with my grappling yet to do it stoned. Sparring on weed can be O.K. but only if you're just fucking around.

Is one of your twenty friends named Thurgood?
    LOL, nah, the cases I was talking about were people from high school and university; probably, the people from my birth year were specifically disposed for it, but damn, I have seen the dark side of even easy drugs from very close nearby. From the guy who started talking to his dead mother when stoned, to the girl that shat in my shower after she OD'ed on amphetamines. Myself, I tried to cut my hand off hammeredly watching Vampire Hunter D. (Didn't get too far - results that cutting yourself, even just a little, hurts like fucking hell. Like, actually fucking hell, or another very hot place.)

So, in 2007, after instantly sobering up after pouring a hydrogen peroxide derivate over my bleeding arm to clean the cut, I wisely decided, no more drugs for me, ever. Also, frankly, I am a very sexual person, and beer googles are already bad. Stone googles, you don't wanna know.

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    2/10/2012 5:30pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jdempsey View Post
    THE ****.

That's the guy from the sitcom with the baby named Michelle, right?!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast