New Braunfels, Texas by way of Long Island

Posted On:
    2/16/2012 6:40pm

supporting member
     Style: DT Instructor

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    I haven't heard them discuss that at all.
    That's too bad. That's the only way that I'd be able to afford to jump ship.

Posted On:
    2/16/2012 7:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why is it so rare for the US marshals to hire people?

Registered Member

New Braunfels, Texas by way of Long Island

Posted On:
    2/16/2012 8:33pm

supporting member
     Style: DT Instructor

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoka_uk View Post
    Why is it so rare for the US marshals to hire people?
    Many more applicants than jobs and most don't leave until they retire.

Posted On:
    2/17/2012 12:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We are actually a relatively small agency with approximately 4,000 deputies. A normal year might have us push through three or four classes of 48 people. We can usually fill those slots with student co-ops (Consolidated Student Experience Program), administrative people who switch to operational and Detention Enforcement Officers moving up. And yes, we have an extremely low turnover rate which I think says a lot about the agency.

Posted On:
    3/01/2012 4:02am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Vorpal, I have a question I'm hoping you could answer.

I'm registered on USAJOBS.gov with my required documents and ready to apply at 9PM (I'm in CA and USAJOBS.gov operates on the east coast time zone) on March 4th when the application opens up.

I've been a Juvenile Corrections Counselor at a Juvenile Hall for 2 years, a CSO with my University's PD for a year, an intern in the Detective's Bureau with my local city PD for 2 years, and I have 350 hours with the same city PD's volunteer program (VIPS) prior to those positions. I'm working on my degree (done in December 2012 - BA in Criminal Justice). I have also maintained physical fitness through sprints, running, pull-ups, powerlifting, rope climb, etc. I often compete and hold a CA state record, a World record, and am competing in the US Police and Fire Games this June.

With this said, my GPA my first semester (Jan-May 2011) was a 3.2 and a 2.4 last semester. I took on the 2nd job as a CSO and my grades slipped down to two Bs and two Cs. My overall GPA now is a 2.83.

With all my experience, is my GPA something that could ultimately disqualify me from testing with the minimum requirement being a 3.0?

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

Posted On:
    3/01/2012 4:09am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A response to the above post would be helpful to me as well.

I am also in pursuit of a Bachelor's Degree, having not obtained it yet, and have a decent cumulative GPA (>3.0), but have my professional experience with Firefighting/Paramedic work, and only some volunteer work with PD (years ago).

Basically- how flexible are they towards awarding applicants with the GL-07 qualification?
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/01/2012 5:46am

Style: Holiday Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BudoMonkey View Post

I am also in pursuit of a Bachelor's Degree, having not obtained it yet, and have a decent cumulative GPA (>3.0), but have my professional experience with Firefighting/Paramedic work, and only some volunteer work with PD (years ago).

Basically- how flexible are they towards awarding applicants with the GL-07 qualification?
    Suck it and see. The worst they can say is "No" right? With spots being so tight you'd best be quick too.

Posted On:
    3/01/2012 8:34am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thompson3259 View Post
    Hey Vorpal, I have a question I'm hoping you could answer.

I'm registered on USAJOBS.gov with my required documents and ready to apply at 9PM (I'm in CA and USAJOBS.gov operates on the east coast time zone) on March 4th when the application opens up.

I've been a Juvenile Corrections Counselor at a Juvenile Hall for 2 years, a CSO with my University's PD for a year, an intern in the Detective's Bureau with my local city PD for 2 years, and I have 350 hours with the same city PD's volunteer program (VIPS) prior to those positions. I'm working on my degree (done in December 2012 - BA in Criminal Justice). I have also maintained physical fitness through sprints, running, pull-ups, powerlifting, rope climb, etc. I often compete and hold a CA state record, a World record, and am competing in the US Police and Fire Games this June.

With this said, my GPA my first semester (Jan-May 2011) was a 3.2 and a 2.4 last semester. I took on the 2nd job as a CSO and my grades slipped down to two Bs and two Cs. My overall GPA now is a 2.83.

With all my experience, is my GPA something that could ultimately disqualify me from testing with the minimum requirement being a 3.0?

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.
    You sound like a good candidate to me. I would encourage you to pursue a position with us. Shoot me a PM if you have any Qs.

Posted On:
    3/01/2012 8:36am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BudoMonkey View Post

Same answer although they may not give you GL-7 coming in the door. Maybe they will though, I started as GS-7 (no "GL" back then) and I did not have a degree.

Posted On:
    3/01/2012 9:08pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you for the response. I attempted to send you a PM but the site wouldn't let me. I added you as a contact - I assume that's when I can send you a PM.

I certainly do have a few more questions. I've considered the Marshals since 2009 and periodically checked the 'Career Opportunities' section. I noticed the hiring announcement within a week of it being posted. Any further advice is greatly appreciated.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast