Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/10/2012 6:15pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Highland Broadsword

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spungdeeper View Post
    He teaches Highland Broadsword in West Linn Oregon, claims to be a Master, related to Charlemagne (doesn't actually say he's related but strongly suggests it), teaches Koushako Do Karate (?) of which I can only find references to on his site and...well here's his titles: H.S.H. Douglas Buchanan Bailey Duke of St. Cyriacuz, Tetrarch of Tiggiano Italy, and the 13th armorial head of the house of Bailey

I ran a search for him on Bullshido and found no threads for him. I am suspicious of anyone claiming "Master" in HEMA, but I don't really know much about Highland Broadsword. Has anyone heard of him? This smells heavily of Bullshido. If nothing else his websites are entertaining.

BTW H.S.H means His Serene Highness.
    I am David of the Clan Bailey. HSH Douglas Bailey is my Clan Chief and Liege Lord. What you speak of is boarder line Libel and Defamation. He IS what he claims and can prove it if you merely ask him.

He is a good man and we help children with Autism with the Order of the Green Cross and or Clan events. Please remain professional at all times when referring to someone who IS recognized in Italian, English and Scottish Law.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    9/10/2012 6:22pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by David: Bailey View Post
    Please remain professional at all times when referring to someone who IS recognized in Italian, English and Scottish Law.
    Recognized how?

Administrator

Posted On:
    9/10/2012 6:33pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lklawson View Post
    The H.S.H. references has an air of humor or "inside joke" to it, much in the way it would be if I were to refer to myself as "Professor of Defense" when teaching Bartitsu or BKB. I didn't see anything which would reference "Master" as a rank outside of some vague references I found doing google searches. While I know of no organizations offering Master certification in Highland Broadsword, there are legitimate fencing schools and organizations which can confer Master certification. It is possible that "Master" is 1) not intended to be taken literally as a rank or certification 2) certification in some other fencing tradition 3) rank in some non-HEMA/Classical-Fence martial art such as an oriental system.

I would suggest that speculation is worth no more than any other speculation and, further, too much speculation is not only fruitless but actually counterproductive. I therefore recommend that you make an effort to contact Mr. Bailey directly and ask him the source and intent of the appellation for both "H.S.H." and "Master." Maybe the titles are truly self-applied and ego-inflating, or maybe there's a more innocuous explanation.
    I agree with all of this, but:

Either way, I'm not a fan of trials in absentia.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk
    This can be and was taken wrong. Your reaction is actually quite ironic.

That tells me a great deal about you.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk
    You've already given me plenty of insight into your character. No need to pile on more.
    LOL, it also says a ton about you and I normally like your posts. Yet, there is an air that has led to some of your more contentious threads. This is one of those times.

I am David of the Clan Bailey. HSH Douglas Bailey is my Clan Chief and Liege Lord. What you speak of is boarder line Libel and Defamation. He IS what he claims and can prove it if you merely ask him.

He is a good man and we help children with Autism with the Order of the Green Cross and or Clan events. Please remain professional at all times when referring to someone who IS recognized in Italian, English and Scottish Law.
    Saved.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/10/2012 8:21pm

Style: Shorin Ryu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am David of the Clan Bailey.
    Oh ****. Here we go.

HSH Douglas Bailey is my Clan Chief and Liege Lord.
    Can you define "clan" and "liege" for us here please. Bear in mind that I'm probably several times more Scottish than you are. And I'm English.

What you speak of is boarder line Libel and Defamation. He IS what he claims and can prove it if you merely ask him.

OK, maybe you can expand on this too. What does English law say about someone who claims to be a "clan head", "Tetrarch" and claims the title "Highness"?

Does English law recognise the title "Armorial Head"?

I have no skin in this game, but it looks very much to me like Mr Bailey gets his rocks off by awarding himself dubious titles and boasting about his charitable efforts. Great qualities in a man right?

Posted On:
    9/11/2012 9:01am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What you speak of is boarder line Libel and Defamation.
    Oh? And what would it be if I said you were a fucking moron?

Please remain professional at all times when referring to someone who IS recognized in Italian, English and Scottish Law.
    And **** him too.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    9/11/2012 9:14am

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Recognized how?
    Yes, I would like to know exactly a government recognizes someone like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by thrutch View Post
    Mr Bailey gets his rocks off by awarding himself dubious titles and boasting about his charitable efforts. Great qualities in a man right?
    Seems nothing less than pretentious to me. It takes a certain kind of egomaniac to even refer to himself in any semblance of royalty.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2012 9:29am

Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm Duncan MacLeod of the clan MacLeod we must be related.

In the UK you just buy these stupid titles for 29.95

www.highlandtitles.com
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/sis.html?_...rd+manor+title

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2012 11:13am

Style: Boxing, Judo, Kenpo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am David of the Clan Bailey.
    I'm guessing you've watched Highlander waaaaaay too much.

HSH Douglas Bailey is my Clan Chief and Liege Lord.
    Clan Baillie (that's the actually Scottish spelling, btw), at least from the last list I saw from the Court of Lord Lyon (who handles such things), does not have a recognized chief. Has he been recognized by the Court of Lord Lyon?

Also, where the hell did he dig up "His Serene Highness?" Usually "Highness" refers to royalty
    . And the HSH is usually only seen in Lichtenstein and Monaco.

Your Liege Lord.... did you pay him homage?

I believe that means that Bailey would have to be conferred undifferenced arms for this to be official under Scots Law.

And no love for the Welsh? We have a nationalist identity, too.

What you speak of is boarder line Libel and Defamation.
    No, questions about his martial capabilities and his heraldic claims is not defamation or libel. Oh and you meant "borderline." Try some spell check, keyboard lawyer.

He is a good man and we help children with Autism with the Order of the Green Cross and or Clan events.
    No one said he wasn't. Nice strawman.

Onto his martial arts stuff:

From his linkedin profile: (profile)
    H.S.H started his study of chivalry at the early age of 9 through the practice of traditional Karate and Ko Budo, accomplishments as a national and international champion. [...] Later was mentored by a renowned French Master of classical fencing,
    His 40years of extensive experience in the arts has made him very well known and sought after as a film fight choreographer, and he is the founding master of a martial arts system that uses a combination of swords and unarmed historic combat.
    My emphasis added.

Also, his nobility:
    Duke of St. Cyriacus, Tetrarch of Tiggiano Italy
    I think St. Cyriacus is a church in Germany (I went there once). And Tetrach... isn't that the title bestowed on the four emperors of the Roman Empire (of which Constantine was one)? How the hell are you emperor of a town? I'm at the point where "if extraordinary claims are made, extraordinary proof is required."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/11/2012 11:17am

Style: Boxing, Judo, Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    Yes, I would like to know exactly a government recognizes someone like this.
    My understanding is that you have to have undifferenced arms... which means you've got a title or some such thing. A Scottish title.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    9/11/2012 11:32am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by superangryfish View Post
    In the UK you just buy these stupid titles for 29.95

www.highlandtitles.com
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/sis.html?_...rd+manor+title
    But...I thought...there could be only one?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast