Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2012 2:29am

Style: HEMA, Judo, Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

H.S.H. Douglas Bailey

He teaches Highland Broadsword in West Linn Oregon, claims to be a Master, related to Charlemagne (doesn't actually say he's related but strongly suggests it), teaches Koushako Do Karate (?) of which I can only find references to on his site and...well here's his titles: H.S.H. Douglas Buchanan Bailey Duke of St. Cyriacuz, Tetrarch of Tiggiano Italy, and the 13th armorial head of the house of Bailey.

Websites: http://www.baileysacademy.com/, an old website, and http://orderofthegreencross.com/AnobleFamily.htm

I ran a search for him on Bullshido and found no threads for him. I am suspicious of anyone claiming "Master" in HEMA, but I don't really know much about Highland Broadsword. Has anyone heard of him? This smells heavily of Bullshido. If nothing else his websites are entertaining.

BTW H.S.H means His Serene Highness.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2012 1:56pm

Style: German Longsword, HEMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I vote for complete and utter BS.

Posted On:
    2/09/2012 4:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Trad Ju Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Spungdeeper View Post

BTW H.S.H means His Serene Highness.
    Yeah, like the Rainiers of Monaco (see, some of us knew what it stood for) ;-)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2012 6:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had no idea what it stood for until I looked it up, so I thought I'd share.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2012 11:45am

Style: Bowie

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The H.S.H. references has an air of humor or "inside joke" to it, much in the way it would be if I were to refer to myself as "Professor of Defense" when teaching Bartitsu or BKB. I didn't see anything which would reference "Master" as a rank outside of some vague references I found doing google searches. While I know of no organizations offering Master certification in Highland Broadsword, there are legitimate fencing schools and organizations which can confer Master certification. It is possible that "Master" is 1) not intended to be taken literally as a rank or certification 2) certification in some other fencing tradition 3) rank in some non-HEMA/Classical-Fence martial art such as an oriental system.

I would suggest that speculation is worth no more than any other speculation and, further, too much speculation is not only fruitless but actually counterproductive. I therefore recommend that you make an effort to contact Mr. Bailey directly and ask him the source and intent of the appellation for both "H.S.H." and "Master."

Maybe the titles are truly self-applied and ego-inflating, or maybe there's a more innocuous explanation. Either way, I'm not a fan of trials in absentia.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/11/2012 1:49am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lklawson View Post
    The H.S.H. references has an air of humor or "inside joke" to it, much in the way it would be if I were to refer to myself as "Professor of Defense" when teaching Bartitsu or BKB. I didn't see anything which would reference "Master" as a rank outside of some vague references I found doing google searches. While I know of no organizations offering Master certification in Highland Broadsword, there are legitimate fencing schools and organizations which can confer Master certification. It is possible that "Master" is 1) not intended to be taken literally as a rank or certification 2) certification in some other fencing tradition 3) rank in some non-HEMA/Classical-Fence martial art such as an oriental system.

I would suggest that speculation is worth no more than any other speculation and, further, too much speculation is not only fruitless but actually counterproductive. I therefore recommend that you make an effort to contact Mr. Bailey directly and ask him the source and intent of the appellation for both "H.S.H." and "Master."
    Good point. So I emailed him.

Maybe the titles are truly self-applied and ego-inflating, or maybe there's a more innocuous explanation. Either way, I'm not a fan of trials in absentia.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk
    I don't care.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/11/2012 12:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't care.
    That tells me a great deal about you.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/11/2012 2:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That tells me a great deal about you.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk
    I don't care :P

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/11/2012 4:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't care :P
    You've already given me plenty of insight into your character. No need to pile on more.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/26/2012 3:34pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Update

I got a response to my email where I asked about the master title.

He doesn't claim one in East or West and makes a point of saying that one would be hard pressed to find a Historic Fencing "master."
    He has a 5th degree black belt in Shito-ryu and explains that, "the karate system I have named on the site is actually a local research group. the term translates to hidden hand. we look at the origins of karate forms and the founders as well as the influences to give us better incite on the original intended movements."
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast