218358 Bullies, 8219 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 81 to 90 of 92
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 10 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Internet-fu is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    54

    Posted On:
    11/10/2012 6:15pm


     Style: Still deciding.

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSifu67 View Post
    Let's face it,the influence of "JKD" on MMA is because of DAN INOSANTO and his (at the time) progressive and openminded approach. thanks to Dan,Jiu Jitsu,shootwrestling,and orthodox lead became mainstays in JKD "concepts".
    Yeah, but that is exactly what Bruce would of done were he alive today. Dan Inaosanto was primarily into Indonesian stuff before he met Bruce and Bruce shared his philosophy with him. Not taking anything away from Inaosanto, but still.
  2. Azatdawn is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Lower Franconia
    Posts
    969

    Posted On:
    11/10/2012 6:29pm


     Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet-fu View Post
    How much do you know about the life of this "movie actor"?

    You ever studied any of his martial arts philosophy?

    He was mixing Muay Thai, Savate, Western Boxing, AND grappling/ground fighting (Wrestling, Sambo, Judo, etc.) before any Gracie came to the United States. And using it in self defense situations. Not just studying.
    Are you implying that he didn't act in movies?
  3. Internet-fu is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    54

    Posted On:
    11/10/2012 6:33pm


     Style: Still deciding.

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Azatdawn View Post
    Are you implying that he didn't act in movies?
    No. But the person I was replying to was implying that somehow Bruce's contribution to the martial arts was invalid because he was an "actor".

    Funny thing is, most of the Gracie's I have watched and read about are not really mixed martial artists either. Which is why Royce came to a point in his career that he was also finished. BJJ is really great at one mode of fighting. But people who are all grappling can't contend in MMA anymore then people who are all striking. Not anymore anyway.

    Studying Bruce's life as a martial artist, there are several things I think he contributed.

    When he refused to be told that he could not teach people who were not asian, they eventually sent someone to his school to fight him. He barely won using his traditional Kung Fu. That lead him to looking into alternatives. (This fight did not happen in some buddhist looking temple from Mortal Kombat like you see in the movie "Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story" but there was a fight that he fought because of that situation.)

    When he was standing up in front of a lot of martial artists trying to inform them that the classical "fancy mess" was making martial arts ineffective someone did charge up and challenge him. Witnesses to that exchange said he finished the guy with grappling. That points to MMA.

    Ironically his movie career did contribute to it as well as after the success of "The big boss" (Fists of Fury) a rival movie company offered a million dollar movie contract to anyone who could defeat him in hand to hand combat. This lead to people showing up at his home and challenging him constantly. He eventually got a bodyguard just because he could not even get anything done in a given day.

    One story that was shared with me was the day a guy jumped over his back fence while he was playing with his kids in the backyard so that he could try to cash in on the movie contract offer. His bodyguard got up to handle it and Bruce asked him to sit down as he was going to make an example out of this guy who frightened his children. And that's what he did.

    While he was making "Enter the Dragon" a similar thing happened. And witnesses said that he finished the guy by grappling with him in such a way that allowed him to take the guy by the head and smash it against one of the stone walls on the set until he got the message that he needed to cut it out.

    So the reason for Lee's innovations and evolutions were because of discovering the real world limitations of his classical style, including the need for better ground fighting skills. And because of that there is a full ground fighting curriculum in JKD to this day. (And now it includes BJJ).

    So this I feel, is where they get the idea that he could be called the "father of MMA".

    Take a look for example at the stuff being taught at this school. Jun Fan is his "modernized" version of Wing Chun. Muay Thai, and a mixed grappling regime. I visited this school before UFC 1 even happened and they were already teaching ground fighting as an essential part of self defense. (Scroll down to the schedule).

    http://www.attributivemartialarts.com/services/
    Last edited by Internet-fu; 11/10/2012 6:43pm at .
  4. Azatdawn is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Lower Franconia
    Posts
    969

    Posted On:
    11/10/2012 6:41pm


     Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's very nice of you to give us insight into all the things you're wrong about.
  5. Internet-fu is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    54

    Posted On:
    11/10/2012 6:47pm


     Style: Still deciding.

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Azatdawn View Post
    It's very nice of you to give us insight into all the things you're wrong about.
    So what am I wrong about?
  6. goodlun is online now
    goodlun's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ramona
    Posts
    4,616

    Posted On:
    11/10/2012 6:55pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The real father of modern MMA


    Gene Lebell vs Milo Savage happened in 1963 years before Bruce Lee died in 1973.
  7. Internet-fu is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    54

    Posted On:
    11/10/2012 7:29pm


     Style: Still deciding.

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet-fu View Post
    So what am I wrong about?
    Yeah. I didn't think so.
  8. jnp is offline
    jnp's Avatar

    Titanium laced beauty

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,227

    Posted On:
    11/10/2012 10:55pm

    supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet-fu View Post
    Yeah. I didn't think so.
    You're a patient one, aren't you?
    Shut the hell up and train.
  9. Azatdawn is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Lower Franconia
    Posts
    969

    Posted On:
    11/11/2012 1:12pm


     Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

    3
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Internet-fu View Post
    Yeah. I didn't think so.
    I'll just say this. Stay on this forum. In a few years you will look back at this thread. At this point, you will have read many threads. Old ones, recent ones. In those old ones, you will stumble many times over very much the same stuff you have posted. You will read all the responses that stuff got.

    You will PM me about it and we will both share a hearty laugh. Which we won't, because we're going to be cyborgs and incapable of feeling emotions anymore. But still.
  10. erezb is offline

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,294

    Posted On:
    11/12/2012 3:52am


     Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    First off, you misread it. It does not say the "inventor" of MMA, it says he is the "father" and my above hypotheticals would indicate this is somewhat accurate, being that he provided a seed for growth. Second off, why the **** wouldn't they "spout this bullshit" when there is so many UFC personnel involved in the project? Many of whom would most certainly say the man was a huge influence and factor in them taking up martial arts.
    That is true, was he responsible for MMA? nop, he is responsible for the reputation Kung Fu has as the most deadly blabla. His movie MMA clashes were against Chuck and his Karate or against imaginary boxing etc. You didn't see him grapple and put people in a guard and triangle them to submission. You see flashy kicks and jumps that are extremely ineffective and imaginary. He was a prominent movie start in a time where MA was getting attention in movies, he was not the first, just the most prominent. That is the same time when Chuck Norris became famous and used his high kicks...so your argument about not kicking isn't true. He is more responsible for un probable technique and ability than anything else, just like Van Dam and all the others. He was a great movie star, and was able to sustain and build such a huge reputation to help attract people to the movies that we still talk about his abilities half seriously to this day. From a site that demands proof i would expect to look at him as an action movie start that inspired kids world wide to train with nun chacks and think Kung Fu is the deadly (not wrestling or boxing etc.)
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 10 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.