Administrator

Posted On:
    2/09/2012 3:38pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    I also wonder if it's a way of edging out the Gracies a bit.
    Yep, we all know what this is about; Marketing. You tie the most brutal, barbaric, uncouth, meat headed and uneducated sport to the most hyped, fittest, respected, and smartest Martial Artist evah. /end sarcasm.

The people that spout "OH GOD, those guys aren't doing kung fu. That's just street fighting" have incomes as well. So, you start showing how these "meat heads" really love Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris, and other "true" Martial Artists and you hit another demographic.

At some point we will see Bruce Lee's quote "When one has no form, one can be all forms; when one has no style, he can fit in with any style" in a slow motion UFC commercial.

Then they get into the towns and states that have bans. Then you find quotes where it sounds like BL loved MMA. Then Suzy or Stevie Homemaker say "wow these guys are great" and the UFC becomes a bigger juggernaut.

Posted On:
    2/09/2012 7:38pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Then there will be hundreds of "never before seen footage" DVDs of Bruce training in early MMA. Which will be just the same footage over and over again of him fly kicking a heavy bag and Game of Death outtakes with commentary by MMA fighters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Ups to Battlefields for dropping the sage wisdom.

You are like a Pimp Yoda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Battlefields... You're more of a man than I am.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/09/2012 7:43pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of course. I mean there is footage of him sparring, training, weightlifting, throwing, boxing, and trying to do crude submissions. You know it could be manipulated, erroneously, as proof that he was the Grandfather of MMA.

Oh and I do find the indignation funny. Most people laugh off the attempts of some Gracie's to rewrite history.

Posted On:
    2/09/2012 8:12pm

forum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A few years ago, when I was young in the martial arts, I purchased five or six DVDs all purporting to contain "never before seen footage", "recently discovered candid interviews" and "techniques revealed that were hidden until now". Literally all of them were the same footage just rearranged and edited differently. ****, it pissed me off, I was hoping to learn some super secret badassery and instead I got to watch Kareem taking lumbering telegraphed front kicks at Bruce over and over again to the point I can still see the expression on Kareem's face.

Either way, legit martial artists will know the truth, fighters will know the truth and the masses will believe whatever the masses believe. I get why there is indignation, I just don't care. It's like when someone comes up to me and starts speaking about the chun, instead of braying at a brick wall, I smile, nod and go about my day. No use me getting riled up about some fools take on self defence. Now, if they came to me and said, "what's your take on the chun?" I would tell them. Just like I would tell them my take on Bruce Lee if I were asked.

But there is no chance I would trawl through the possible trolls and meatheads and morons on Facebook in order to get myself pissed off. That is illogical.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/09/2012 10:00pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am about to deliver some pure, undiluted truth to you brainwashed sheeple:

Without Mel Gibson, there would be no UFC.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2012 10:11pm

Style: Hsing I, Bagua, Chi kung

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Tortelli View Post
    I am about to deliver some pure, undiluted truth to you brainwashed sheeple:

Without Mel Gibson, there would be no UFC.
    There would be no UFC without SPARTA!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted On:
    2/09/2012 10:15pm

forum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There would be no UFC without the alphabet.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2012 1:47am

Style: Western Boxing, Tai Chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The UFC has successfully built itself as a lifestyle brand. Many of its "fans" care nothing about fighting, but they want to align themselves with fight culture. This will bite the UFC in the ass if they're not careful.

People who buy into a "culture" are, by nature, transients. If it no longer fulfills their need for belonging, they'll go elsewhere. Even if they stick with it for the long haul, people who are categorically against that culture won't give the product the time of day.

In this thread, we see people who are dedicated to martial arts soundly express revulsion at this culture. If people here, who are at least appreciative of MMA, have negative sentiment about the UFC's brand and the community built around it, how does this bode for people who have no interest in martial arts whatsoever and hate the brand?

Posted On:
    2/10/2012 1:56am

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There would be no UFC without Hulk Hogan!

Or do I mean WWE?

Meh, they all the look the fucking same.

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/10/2012 8:29am

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicpoet View Post
    If people here, who are at least appreciative of MMA, have negative sentiment about the UFC's brand and the community built around it, how does this bode for people who have no interest in martial arts whatsoever and hate the brand?
    The music industry and gangstsa rap. Yes, there was an entire community of people that liked rap hated gangsta rap. There were protests, attempts at legislation (Where Parental Advisory was birthed), Vinyl burnings, and even an anti-gangsta cultue emerged (ATCQ, Roots, De La Soul) etc etc etc. Actually made it bigger and it crossed into White America. I'm going to say it has the chance of going mainstream if done correctly.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 2/10/2012 8:33am at .
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast