Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/08/2012 8:00pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Mind Numbing Stupidity on the UFC Facebook page

I was looking through my Facebook today when I saw something that caught my eye....

Like any UFC fan with a working brain, I was puzzled to see the official UFC page spouting such complete bullshit. I should have stopped there, but instead I ventured into the comments of this Facebook post.....

These are just some of the ones that stood out to me the most, there are plenty more like them. I am very vocal about UFC fans, and MMA fans in general. When my friend asked me to go with him to the Toyota Center to watch UFC when it came to Houston, I said "**** no". There was no way in hell I was going to put myself in a position were I was surrounded by UFC fans. I always tell tales of my 2 stripe white belt days when Tapout wearing brahskees would walk into my dojo only to get manhandled my a 135 pound white belt. I have always been very vocal about my dislike of UFC fans, but this **** takes the cake.

In order to have seen this update, you have to go out of your way to search for the UFC page and click "Like". Only UFC fans were updated with this. Why is it that UFC "fans" call themselves fans of the sport while obviously not understanding a single fucking god damn thing about the sport they are watching?

If UFC 143 was the very first time I had ever seen MMA in my life, the absolute MINIMAL amount of knowledge I would have extracted from that one event is that now I know what fighting really looks like, and what real martial artists have to do in order to win a fight. If you are not extracting that basic about of information, you are basically completely fucking brain dead.

I sometimes feel like I am being too harsh on the Bud Light chugging douchebag brah's that sit next to me at the sports bar, but now I take that back. UFC fans are more fucking stupid that I could have ever imagined. If you can't even extract the very bare bones basic information I mentioned above, you really are watching this intricate sport only to watch people punch eachother in the fucking face. If you don't have the intelligence to extract such stupidly obvious information from a sport that you watch often, then I hope Darwin cuts your fucking dick off before you have the chance to reproduce.

God damn it human race, god fucking damn it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2012 9:08pm

Style: Muay Thai, Boxing, nogiJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Haha, I'm pretty sure this Shannon Dice person is trolling.

Posted On:
    2/08/2012 9:19pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why wouldn't UFC align itself with bullshit? It's not really about finding out which martial art or martial artist is the best—it's an entertainment company.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2012 9:59pm

Style: 1 technique 1000 times

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So, wait, are you for or against the notion being made about Bruce Lee inventing MMA?

Posted On:
    2/08/2012 10:27pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I don't get it, are you for or against the idea that without Bruce Lee there would be no MMA? Or are you against the fans nutriding Bruce and Dux? And I could not get more than five comments in to that exchange, sorry.

Seriously, without Bruce Lee there would be considerably less people influenced to take up martial arts in that era. A majority of a generation would not have been exposed to the "mystical Eastern arts". Kickboxing would probably still be considered unsporting as using the feet would still be seen as ungentlemanly. This could mean that various ninja, shogun, action movies, the show Kung Fu and the movie The Karate Kid would not be filmed, which would mean that both the real and the fake teachers of ninja and karate and taekwondo and other arts that could be marketed as the ultimate in self defence wouldn't see a spike in interest and participation in the 70s and 80s. This means less people convinced they are teh deadly at the end of the 80s, which means less varied participation in the Ultimate Fighting Challenge (ahem... Championship) of the 90s. And more chance that people are completely turned off by the fact that a grappler would hug a boxer into submission. Remember, this is a world where using the feet in a fight would still be a general no no.

Yeah, you'd have the people that engaged in no holds barred fighting and BJJ and Judo and boxing and Muay Thai, they'd still compete and probably even crosstrain. Without Bruce Lee, however, with stylised and well choreographed violence now on the big screen, there would not have been a gradual tolerance to that type of violence, so you think the laws are strict now regarding MMA as a sport, what with the stupid (in our eyes) rules regarding "downward" elbows and the like. Imagine a world that never became accustomed to any degree the site of a high kick to the face, imagine what they would say regarding a knee to the body, let alone a knee to the face. Go ahead and imagine it! Fucking do it before I high kick you in the face.

So, in conclusion, there would always be no holds barred fighting and cross training, but it would be very unlikely that there would be a sport like MMA.

What was the question?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Ups to Battlefields for dropping the sage wisdom.

You are like a Pimp Yoda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Battlefields... You're more of a man than I am.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/08/2012 10:36pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh my god people, I am most definitely AGAINST the idea that Bruce Lee invented MMA, as clearly stated in the sentence "Like any UFC fan with a working brain, I was puzzled to see the official UFC page spouting such complete bullshit."

Also, UFC would be UFC regardless if Lee was never even born. I give all the thanks to the Gracie family for this, not a movie actor.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2012 10:44pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EmperorCesar View Post
    Oh my god people, I am most definitely AGAINST the idea that Bruce Lee invented MMA, as clearly stated in the sentence "Like any UFC fan with a working brain, I was puzzled to see the official UFC page spouting such complete bullshit."

Also, UFC would be UFC regardless if Lee was never even born. I give all the thanks to the Gracie family for this, not a movie actor.
    agreed...now if Carlos Gracie was never born? whole different thing...

Posted On:
    2/08/2012 10:44pm

forum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First off, you misread it. It does not say the "inventor" of MMA, it says he is the "father" and my above hypotheticals would indicate this is somewhat accurate, being that he provided a seed for growth. Second off, why the **** wouldn't they "spout this bullshit" when there is so many UFC personnel involved in the project? Many of whom would most certainly say the man was a huge influence and factor in them taking up martial arts.

Posted On:
    2/08/2012 10:52pm

Style: mma /boxing/muai thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    Yeah, I don't get it, are you for or against the idea that without Bruce Lee there would be no MMA? Or are you against the fans nutriding Bruce and Dux? And I could not get more than five comments in to that exchange, sorry.

Seriously, without Bruce Lee there would be considerably less people influenced to take up martial arts in that era. A majority of a generation would not have been exposed to the "mystical Eastern arts". Kickboxing would probably still be considered unsporting as using the feet would still be seen as ungentlemanly. This could mean that various ninja, shogun, action movies, the show Kung Fu and the movie The Karate Kid would not be filmed, which would mean that both the real and the fake teachers of ninja and karate and taekwondo and other arts that could be marketed as the ultimate in self defence wouldn't see a spike in interest and participation in the 70s and 80s. This means less people convinced they are teh deadly at the end of the 80s, which means less varied participation in the Ultimate Fighting Challenge (ahem... Championship) of the 90s. And more chance that people are completely turned off by the fact that a grappler would hug a boxer into submission. Remember, this is a world where using the feet in a fight would still be a general no no.

Yeah, you'd have the people that engaged in no holds barred fighting and BJJ and Judo and boxing and Muay Thai, they'd still compete and probably even crosstrain. Without Bruce Lee, however, with stylised and well choreographed violence now on the big screen, there would not have been a gradual tolerance to that type of violence, so you think the laws are strict now regarding MMA as a sport, what with the stupid (in our eyes) rules regarding "downward" elbows and the like. Imagine a world that never became accustomed to any degree the site of a high kick to the face, imagine what they would say regarding a knee to the body, let alone a knee to the face. Go ahead and imagine it! Fucking do it before I high kick you in the face.

So, in conclusion, there would always be no holds barred fighting and cross training, but it would be very unlikely that there would be a sport like MMA.

What was the question?
    I was influenced by Elvis.

By the way do you think Bruce lee influenced the Australian fighting scene? This tended to be more of a BOB jones. And the taekwando guy who trained Tarak Solak. (Whos name I can't remember)

Otherwise. Do you think Vale tudo would not have happened? or Pride?
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Posted On:
    2/08/2012 11:12pm

forum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of course they (PRIDE, Vale Tudo, UFC) would have happened, just like every other no holds barred event would have happened, eventually and to some degree. But the interest wouldn't be there because the exposure wouldn't have been there. The target market would be so greatly reduced that there would not be the take of money required to build it as a marketable option in the sporting world. This isn't rocket science.

It's pretty simple, remember that we are talking about an era where colour TV was new, there was no internet and the only people you interacted with were pretty much your mates, the locals and the work colleagues. There was no "here look at this youtube clip of a spinning back kick" there was the occasional big boxing match being played at the local pub. Bruce Lee was and is a household name, he forged a way into American cinema at a time when Asians were still being portrayed stereotypically and as comic relief. Fucking hell, he bridged fucking CULTURES and there's no love for the man?

DO NOT MISINTERPRET WHAT I AM SAYING. EVERYTHING WOULD HAVE EXISTED AND WOULD EXIST WITHOUT BRUCE LEE, JUST NOT IN ITS CURRENT MARKETABLE FORM.

Page 1 of 10 1 2345 ... LastLast