Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2012 11:36am

Style: BJJ / Kyokushinkai Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a question for you folks regarding this thread: Isn't the reserves after your active duty? When I left the Military Police, I became an active reserve officer (shooting instructor) and I still lead troops in training situations (twice a year).

What I don't understand is how you can join the reserve without being a "normal" soldier beforehand? Seems like the system is completely different from how it is here.

To the OP: Military Police is a wide field of duty, really. Served six years and done a lot of different stuff. Some of it was mindnumbingly boring, some of it was exciting in a way - as jnp put it - that I really didn't want to experience.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    2/09/2012 11:41am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Prone View Post
    I have a question for you folks regarding this thread: Isn't the reserves after your active duty? When I left the Military Police, I became an active reserve officer (shooting instructor) and I still lead troops in training situations (twice a year).

What I don't understand is how you can join the reserve without being a "normal" soldier beforehand? Seems like the system is completely different from how it is here.

To the OP: Military Police is a wide field of duty, really. Served six years and done a lot of different stuff. Some of it was mindnumbingly boring, some of it was exciting in a way - as jnp put it - that I really didn't want to experience.
    You can go straight into the reserves after basic training and completion of your job training. Weekend warriors, baby! Except most weekend warriors end up full time warriors overseas these days.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2012 11:42am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Weekend warriors? Damn, okay. Thanks for explaining that. Weekend warrior MPs? I crumble in fear.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    2/09/2012 11:50am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Prone View Post
    Weekend warriors? Damn, okay. Thanks for explaining that. Weekend warrior MPs? I crumble in fear.
    I don't know much about the reserves since I haven't been a reservist, but I think MOS options are limited based on your location. For instance, if you're a Marine reservist there might be a Motor-T unit and an administrative unit in your area and that's it. So, you can be a mechanic or a pencil pusher and those are all your choices unless you want to drive out of state.

So, I'm not sure it would necessarily be possible to be an MP in the reserves based on location. I'm also not sure if every type of job is available in the reserves at all. For instance, I'm pretty sure there are no Navy SEAL reserves or Marine Recon reserves and soforth. I've been mistaken before though. Reservsists, correct me if I'm wrong.

Posted On:
    2/09/2012 11:56am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KFighter View Post
    I'm not going in for just the benefits. I'm going in for the learning and for the excitement. That's why I want to go in for Military Police or Firefighter.
    You know what's not actually exciting? Policework.

Posted On:
    2/09/2012 12:01pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To clarify my previous statement. Did some Googling and son-of-a-bitch if there aren't USN Special Warfare reserve units. Only former active duty SEALs are eligible though.

Learn something every day.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/09/2012 12:07pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivington View Post
    You know what's not actually exciting? Policework.
    What he said. Then again my experience was with the Department of Corrections...any actual cops want to chime in?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2012 12:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, speaking from experience I have to say that (only counting for MP though) there are a lot of different things you can do and specialize in when you go into the Military Police. Of course you will do most police work but it's still military. It's like in Law Enforcement: You can specialize in certain fields (as far as I know, not a LEO, just MP)

Posted On:
    2/09/2012 12:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    PM sent.

Posted On:
    2/09/2012 1:41pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you have a degree and are not retarded, do not enlist; go straight for OCS. The Guard has several OCS options. Heck, if you live in Missouri, I can put you in touch with a recruiter this afternoon.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast