Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/08/2012 7:21pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by feelingofpower View Post
    I practice shooting with guns, it does not mean that I will not win because I don't shoot at real people.
    Really? I assume he practices with an airsoft, trying to hit only the upper lip of a body target at 100ft while in a supported prone position. You know, instead of using full power loads in the firearms he actually carries, at reactive targets at realistic ranges, using timers and calisthenics to simulate fight-or-flight stress.. Because that is the exact analogy to compare practical/defensive firearms training to martial arts.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    2/08/2012 7:25pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well if you can get some of the surveillance video footage from attacked students, that would be good, problem is it us often used in cases against the attacker.
    Ah, apparently this happens often.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2012 7:28pm

Style: Out of Practice

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    VILLARI"S MASTER

Grab a testicle and pull. You tell me that is not effective? Wait till the cord rips and it fills with blood.
    What makes him think he'd actually get the chance to use that against an opponent displaying any kind of resistance?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2012 8:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    FEELINGOFPOWER:

The following is a quote taken from another martial artist:
    I wouldn't refer to myself as a "martial artist" I'm more of a hobbyist and a smart ass but thanx

In addition to your response to this, I would personally ask you: How is one of your students supposed to defend themselves against an assailant who trains a contact sport, such as boxing wrestling, or muay thai. I might go so far as to say that a football player could take down one of your equally sized students.

You'll notice he never answered this question.

This kind of thing takes a level of patience I personally just don't have but I think you could get a better response if you just focused on stuff like Villari is lying when he says his fat ass works out 4 hours a day.

If you do arrange something like a sparring match or any kind of IRL meeting be careful not to walk into an ambush. Bring a buddy or two to videotape everything.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/08/2012 8:30pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    FEELINGOFPOWER:

I certainly would like to thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. It demonstrates a great deal of patience, and respect on your part.

What is to stop a mixed martial artist from applying the same groin-grabbing technique? I would assume the mma practitioner to have an advantage, as he or she is used to both a fully resisting opponent, and has the same "dirty" techniques that are at the disposal of the villari's practitioner.

I would also like to point out that thousands, if not millions of people have engaged in full-contact sparring. Competition is healthy, and should not require seriously damaging your opponent.

I conclude with a quote regarding wing chun:

"It seems like most of the -ing -un practitioner's plan on permanently crippling anyone foolish to cross their deadly path in a combative manner. All I can say to that is, enjoy the legal system, you will have plenty of time to do so after you maim someone who spilled their drink on you.

Contrast that with the last few altercations I've been in. I used my training to tie up my aggressor and apply a standing choke. In both instances, I let go and walked away without throwing a punch or being hit. My 'assailants' might have had a slightly sore throat, but they did not get hurt either. People will listen to you if you tell them to comply or be choked unconscious. "

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/08/2012 8:31pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    VILLARI"S MASTER:

A true MMA person is as vulnerable as anybody else. Difference is the amount of practice/drilling so it becomes a learned skill/behavior.

MAA on TV is not all its cut out to be. Granted there are a few exceptions, and I do mean few, they tend to be lacking in the striking, kicking department, short of mounting somebody and pounding them in the head. Not much technique needed to do that. A 6 year old can mount somebody with no training and punch in the same way.

Nobody excels in areas they have not trained. So the groin grab works, but under pressure, the person that has trained hard will more then likely execute an attack there. You never rise to the occasion, you only fall to your level of training.

True Mixed Martial arts is a blending of striking with the arms (all of it), use of legs (toes to knees), grappling (reversing, locking, trapping, pressing (and much more), and felling, a variety of take downs (and you can take somebody down that is already down). Apply all of that with a great amount of practice in blocking and body maneuvers with footwork and you become even more efficient.

Grandmaster Villari told me and showed me many times that with perfect footwork, you do not need to block.

What sets the elite from the rest is seamless transitioning of the 4 ways of fighting. Anybody with a little time can learn basics in all areas, but transitioning takes time, and seamless transitioning ... well I will let you know when I get that down better.

We have competitions yearly. We also have our internationals tournament every November. There is plenty of contact there, even though control is highly stressed.

My conclusion is: Every system is different. 100 people learn will learn the same thing and understand it differently. I teach for self defense and personal protection. You will find many officers and military use the methods we teach and not what you see on TV. No military or police officer wants to grapple if they can not help it. They do not want to struggle for the gun and try to fend the person off. Even mercenaries don't do the MMA TV stuff. They run by, slit your throat and move on to the next person.

There is a clear difference between fighting for sport (as aggressive as it is) and saving your own life or your families life. I know of mothers that know some MMA but if they are to save their kids from being abducted, I know they are not going to grapple the bad guy to the ground and have a pound fest. They are going to scratch the eyes, go for the groin and throat and probably will not hesitate to break their neck if the opportunity is there and I would not be surprised if they picked up a pipe and beat the attacker senseless.
    ------------

What should I ask next?

Posted On:
    2/08/2012 8:46pm

Style: Much striking, SAMBO, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What should I ask next?
    Nothing. Their is nothing you can say that will change his mind, get him to see it your way or concede that you are right.

It will take something much bigger than an e-mail conversation to do that.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    2/08/2012 9:38pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lionknight View Post
    Nothing. Their is nothing you can say that will change his mind, get him to see it your way or concede that you are right.

It will take something much bigger than an e-mail conversation to do that.

Hmm, perhaps you are right my friend, very wise words.

Well, without a shadow of a doubt I will not be returning to Villari's it has been proven to me at least that it is bullshido (mcdojo? I'm lacking on my terminology).

Thanks for your responses all.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/08/2012 10:43pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Azatdawn View Post
    what's that?
    That's where you say one thing is bad while promoting that same thing in a different manner.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2012 10:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What does that have to do with Will Smith ?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast