Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. #1
    Tenebrous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,409
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Crappy GIs from around the world: Which shall survive the Grapplocalypse?

    I have been scouring the earth for cheap and interesting GIs. Concensus has always been that they suck, and none will survive the thousands of grasping hands of the zombie grapplocalypse.

    But hark, doth I hear a challenge? Someone keeps telling me that that there happeh kiddo has teh crapples, and that I would surely be able to use one of their fancy and temptingly cheap contrast-stitched tops while I administer beatings to the unworthy masses.

    So tell me, is this the bullshit I expect it to be? Because the shame of being beaten by a man wearing a hapkido top is a shame I wish to spread.
    I'm picturing you drooling onto the keyboard as you type, one eye rotating independent of the other as your hands mash the keys. - Sophist

  2. #2
    Phrost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 1998
    Location
    Cow Town
    Posts
    19,137
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you really want to find shitty gis, go to alibaba.com and poke around. You'll find the shittiest gear of all sorts ever made by underpaid children.

  3. #3
    Permalost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    13,092
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My FMA teacher learned karate in the Philippines in the 1960s I believe, and he told us that they used to take the thick rice sacks and sew them into gis, with the inside of the sack as the outside of the gi. So, if you looked at the inside of their gis, you could see the brand and label of the rice.

    I've got a heavyweight Ed Parker gi that feels more like a judo gi than a typical karate one. Double stitched, double thick at the knee and shin. You can grab the lapel and throttle it without issues. Also- secret throwing star pocket inside lapel! (But they may see it coming on account of the black gi).

  4. #4
    ermghoti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    OW, MY KNEE
    Posts
    2,782
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The velcro pocket is a nice touch. That way, when you wear your bitchin' black gi to Walmart, you won't lose your wallet when your supervisor throws you out.
    "Your body must be like a stone, your mind... like a meatloaf."

    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil
    Why is it so goddamn hard to find a video of it? I've seen videos I'm pretty sure are alien spacecraft. But still no good Krav.

  5. #5
    Permalost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    13,092
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    The velcro pocket is a nice touch. That way, when you wear your bitchin' black gi to Walmart, you won't lose your wallet when your supervisor throws you out.
    I'd like to see him TRY to throw me out, brother!

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    58
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post
    You'll find the shittiest gear of all sorts ever made by underpaid children.
    They actually pay children?

    Bloody communists!

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    0.5 inches from the screen
    Posts
    462
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of the guys in my club (nikkyu level, one of the best fighters) is so poor that until a few months ago he actually came to practice with a TORN judogi (tear was just under the belt on the back) because he couldn't afford a new one.

    And he would kick the asses of all the rich kids who come once a week for a month and never come back.

    So **** your consensuses. The gis may suck, but the people who wear them are usually the awesomest in class.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Inland Empire, California
    Posts
    1,151
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    My FMA teacher learned karate in the Philippines in the 1960s I believe, and he told us that they used to take the thick rice sacks and sew them into gis, with the inside of the sack as the outside of the gi. So, if you looked at the inside of their gis, you could see the brand and label of the rice.

    I've got a heavyweight Ed Parker gi that feels more like a judo gi than a typical karate one. Double stitched, double thick at the knee and shin. You can grab the lapel and throttle it without issues. Also- secret throwing star pocket inside lapel! (But they may see it coming on account of the black gi).
    I've been wanting to get a new gi recently. The Ed Parker one is the one I was considering. Good to know its not a cheap karate gi.

  9. #9
    Permalost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    13,092
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoist View Post
    So **** your consensuses.
    What consensus(es) are you talking about?

  10. #10
    Vorpal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    A Hell of my own making
    Posts
    3,082
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoist View Post
    One of the guys in my club (nikkyu level, one of the best fighters) is so poor that until a few months ago he actually came to practice with a TORN judogi (tear was just under the belt on the back) because he couldn't afford a new one.

    And he would kick the asses of all the rich kids who come once a week for a month and never come back.

    So **** your consensuses. The gis may suck, but the people who wear them are usually the awesomest in class.
    You can get a great gi for a bit over $100.00 . Your mat hero is getting ipponed by life.

Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO