Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/07/2012 12:39pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: brazilian shiu shitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Which Combatives DVD Set to Buy?

Which one of these should I purchase IYO?
    Jim Grover's Combatives Series 1-2-3 + SITUATIONAL SELF OFFENSE from Paladin Press
    or
    Kelly Mccann's Combatives for Street Survival 3 DVD Set from Black Belt Magazine

I wanted to know the differences in material, besides they're the same guy with a different pseudonym and one is newer.

Is the Older set along with SITUATIONAL SELF OFFENSE a more complete set??
    Is Combatives for Street Survival a more watered down version to be sold to the mainstream/black belt mag crowd??
    Is the Newer Material served up in an easier to learn, more pragmatic fashion OR is it all the same?????
    Any comments, or suggestions would be really helpful ! !

P.S. I already have read Kelly McCann's Combatives for Street Survival Book......which is Printed by BBM put sold also through Paladin Press with Jim Grover's combatives.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/07/2012 12:50pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First, what is your goal here? Are these to suppliment training? If so, what kind of training? Or are you preparing for Military, LEO, security type work?
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    2/07/2012 2:26pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was looking for something that has proven itself effective, QUICK, easy to Recall, and can help prepare me for any sort of situation. Whether it be against weapons, a group, etc.
    I want to be able to Protect my Family and Friends
    The only training I do now-a-adays is cardio and strength training (both are done at home), due to my obligations with my son, puting the wife through nursing school, and working 48 hours a week. (previously BJJ and JKD)
    Contemplating Marines, not Infantry though.

Posted On:
    2/07/2012 2:30pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Recently purchased Kelly McCann's Kembativ Knife and Ground Kembativ. I'm trying to work that into my routine and convince someone, besides my filipino wife, to buy a fencing mask, hockey gloves, and cervical collar to train with me. LOL

Posted On:
    2/07/2012 2:48pm

Style: BJJ/MT

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pubes2942 View Post
    I was looking for something that has proven itself effective, QUICK, *snip* blah blah blah*
    QFT, and not "Quoted For Truth". Nothing is actually going to prepare you quickly. Save your damn money and pay for real training. Thread over.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/07/2012 2:52pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't want to bash your dreams here, but you are not going to learn to do the things you are trying to do, just by ordering his videos. You can't even learn the stuff he presents without having training partners. Here is an article of his:

http://www.acdsbelgium.org/interview...mccann-english

I like this part:

The problem I’ve run into trying to teach generalists to fight is that I believe you have to fight in training in order to learn how. Isn’t that obvious to everyone? After all, you don’t learn to fly a plane by reading a book or watching someone else fly, at some point you have to fly the freaking thing yourself. Learning to fight is no different but a lot of people aren’t comfortable with that.
    That is his quote. And if you read his book, which I have, he talks about training with dudes in his garage and them beating the crap out of each other. I mean literally. They are busting each others faces up. He is an advicate of training in an alive manner.

I think you should rethink what you are trying to do here. Just go train somewhere. You won't find a magic answer in a DVD or book.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    2/07/2012 3:38pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not under the delusion that I don't need a training partner (s), but any of my buddies that would be willing to actually bang and aren't afraid of getting there ginie's in a tussle are wanting more of syllabus from me than what I can set up with the material I got, (which is only gona resemble some fencing).
    That's why I was just asking if anybody had seen or owned either of these series, and could tell me which one (in there opinion) I should purchase and why.

Posted On:
    2/07/2012 3:45pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey I was just trying to be Polite and Respectful since its my first time actually posting anything here. I figured you guys would be the right ones to ask a simple question of Answer A or B.

If someone here has a good recommendation for a training group in the Orlando, Sanford, De Land area then let me know, cuz I haven't found one.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    2/07/2012 3:48pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by pubes2942 View Post
    Recently purchased Kelly McCann's Kembativ Knife and Ground Kembativ. I'm trying to work that into my routine and convince someone, besides my filipino wife, to buy a fencing mask, hockey gloves, and cervical collar to train with me. LOL
    Hmmm, I've trained in knife tag for some years now, and have never used a cervical collar (and have fought with contact as high as full contact with rattan sticks). If you're beginners, you probably won't be using a level of intensity that would warrant it; you should be fine with the fencing masks. Of course, do whatever you have to do to feel safe. You should also add a cup into the mix- I've seen plenty of good weapon strikes land right on the ding ding.

Posted On:
    2/07/2012 3:53pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the collar was suggested by McCann on his knife video and in his book. I though the Cup was implied LOL!!!
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast