Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 89 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/26/2012 9:49pm

Style: Humbleness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
    The Uechi system was designed for defending against untrained opponents right?

Can any of you guys who have experience with the style comment on its strengths and weaknesses as well as whether it offers any unique advantages over systems like muay thai or kyokushin that have a tighter guard?
    They are faster because they mostly train to strike fast and a good footwork to avoid strikes
    They have the problem of getting gassed out when facing a determined opponent with a tight guard and a stance designed to eat lowkicks

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    7/27/2012 11:05am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've met two guys who have done uechi, and the impression I got was that the training was more about conditioning and withstanding force than working on kata, self defense etc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2012 1:36pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They probably gas out because they don't do much cardio - like most of the other karate styles.

Their body hardening sounds good at first but I had a recent communication with a senior Uechi instructor who told me that he doesn't know anyone who has been training in the style for over 20 years who doesn't have some form of arthritis in the hands.

Still, the style is very street-effective isn't it?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2012 1:49pm

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RurikGreenwulf View Post
    They are faster because they mostly train to strike fast and a good footwork to avoid strikes
    They have the problem of getting gassed out when facing a determined opponent with a tight guard and a stance designed to eat lowkicks
    How does one eat low kicks without getting their legs turned into ground chuck?

Yours truly

Posted On:
    7/27/2012 3:12pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    a stance designed to eat lowkicks is pretty much only good for eating lowkicks as well as eating anything else on other parts of your body, as well as freezing after your straight punch is extended.

On a different note, the dojo owner of where i used to train at remembers spending a lot of time kicking Mike Bell (past coach of mine)'s legs for conditioning in preperation of this fight:

BTW, Bell won
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2012 3:18pm

Style: Muay Thai, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwkfym View Post
    a stance designed to eat lowkicks is pretty much only good for eating lowkicks as well as eating anything else on other parts of your body, as well as freezing after your straight punch is extended.
    I know a great stance for eating head punches

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2012 7:14pm

Style: karate/kickbox

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwkfym View Post

On a different note, the dojo owner of where i used to train at remembers spending a lot of time kicking Mike Bell (past coach of mine)'s legs for conditioning in preperation of this fight:

BTW, Bell won
    cool video man.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2012 7:58pm

Style: karate/kickbox

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    you dont think kyokushin guys have good conditioning? thats a pretty broad statement to make about karate. do you really think muay thai training does not break down your body and wont result in any pain later in life?? look at all the injuries that happen to people who train bjj, boxing,judo etc. so with injuries being pretty common I would like to know any specific examples as to why you think injuries in uechi ryu are excessive?

as far as techniques it has knees,elbows,and straight kicks to the knee,leg,liver that are effective and could translate to mma as well as self defense.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/27/2012 9:31pm

Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    upkick - I'm assuming your question was directed at me.

Basically, the little bit of research that I have done on this topic suggests that Uechi practitioners might be at higher risk of certain types of arthritis (particularly in the fingers and toes) because they condition the fingers for single-knuckle and spear hand type strikes and the toes for toe-kicks whereas to the best of my knowledge, the other MT and KK practitioners condition areas of the body that are less fragile than the fingers and toes. However, I have seen the videos of KK guys punching wood boards or trees to condition their fists.

Posted On:
    7/27/2012 9:36pm

Style: Humbleness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    I've met two guys who have done uechi, and the impression I got was that the training was more about conditioning and withstanding force than working on kata, self defense etc.
    I'm speaking of my experience with my cousin's Uechi Ryu
    Yes they did some good things like getting hit with sticks in their gradings
    Still they mostly focus on kata doing an hour every class
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 89 LastLast