Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2012 6:02pm

Style: It's complicated.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Have you guys ever heard of . . .

. . . "oikiryu" jiu-jitsu?

Searching on Bullshido came up with 0 results and searching on Google came up with 3 pages, none of them particularly useful.

Do you guys know anything about it (history / origins / etc)? Got any info you can share with me? Any impressions of or opinions about it?

Thanks!

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    2/06/2012 11:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keej613 View Post
    . . . "oikiryu" jiu-jitsu?

Searching on Bullshido came up with 0 results and searching on Google came up with 3 pages, none of them particularly useful.

Do you guys know anything about it (history / origins / etc)? Got any info you can share with me? Any impressions of or opinions about it?

Thanks!
    Never heard of it before but I did find a site that links it with Professor/Soke/Grandmasta Rod Sacharnoski if it has anything to do with him that I would steer clear of it.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2012 11:23am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere View Post
    Never heard of it before but I did find a site that links it with Professor/Soke/Grandmasta Rod Sacharnoski if it has anything to do with him that I would steer clear of it.
    Eep. Why is that?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2012 11:35am

Style: Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eep. Why is that?
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9116

to save you a search

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2012 2:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fuuuuuuuuuu. Sketchy stuff. All in the context of Juko Kai / Juko Ryu though . . . I can't really seem to find anything indicating that he's influential in Oikiryu Jiu-Jitsu (other than that he has a black belt in it). Was he a founder of Oikiryu and later changed its name?

Posted On:
    2/07/2012 3:13pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fuuuuuuuuuu. Sketchy stuff. All in the context of Juko Kai / Juko Ryu though . . . I can't really seem to find anything indicating that he's influential in Oikiryu Jiu-Jitsu (other than that he has a black belt in it). Was he a founder of Oikiryu and later changed its name?
    According to this site he doesn't just have a black belt but also awards them.
    In 1969 He went to Indianapolis Indiana where he was tested and promoted to 2nd dan in Oikiryu Jujitsu by Professor R.Sacharnoski.
    So if he is awarding 2nd dans he should have a 3rd dan or higher which means he is probably influential in this little known art if he didn't create it himself.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

-Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    -Daniel Tosh

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2012 9:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In any case (whether he's involved or not) it's probably safe to assume that it's a bit odd since there's almost nothing about the style / system on Google, Bullshido, Sherdog (etc), amirite?

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/08/2012 12:42pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any art that you only find ranks, IMO, is dubious. Even extremely rare and eclectic styles can be sourced.

I am always iffy towards a one person originator that has zero ties to anyone.

No, Bruce Lee, JKD, and Jun Fan, have multiple roots that can be traced.

Posted On:
    2/08/2012 2:47pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In any case (whether he's involved or not) it's probably safe to assume that it's a bit odd since there's almost nothing about the style / system on Google, Bullshido, Sherdog (etc), amirite?
    Not necessarily. What makes this one odd is that you find almost no info about but it appears coupled along with several other hockey martial arts and/or hokey martial artist.

After a little further digging I found a facebook page that seem to indicate that Rod is the founder of Oikiryu. They actually call him SOKE but many westerners mistakenly use this term for founder. Also from the Batman Blog from some guy who says he studies it:
    (1) practice hitting something solid. In Jui-Jitsu when we point-fight, part of the exercise is having the self-control to never make contact with your opponent. So I've really appreciated the experiance with true contact and how that effects your next move.
    So from all that I could find about it I would avoid it like the plague.
    ______

RIP SOLDIER

-Gene, GODHAND

-Daniel Tosh
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast