Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    3/02/2012 9:31pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shuai Jiao

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is a good resource. It can suck in the beginning but I've achieved good results with it.

http://www.mobilitywod.com/

Posted On:
    4/19/2012 3:34am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 307monkeys View Post
    Heyo, I just started up with martial arts. I obviously have a lot of conditioning to do, but my main concern right now is my flexibility. There are, quite frankly, planks of wood more flexible than I am. As I'm going to be starting up Muay Thai pretty soon, I'd like to know any flexibility exercises that might help me get ready.

Oh, and if it makes any difference, I am not finished growing, in case it messes up bone growth and all that jazz.

Cheers!
    I would suggest you to learn yoga! One of the main benefit of yoga is flexibility. Stretching body tightly in new ways will help to become more flexible. It brings greater range of motion to muscles and joints that helpful to gain flexibility in hamstrings, back, shoulders, and hips. Make sure that the yoga program you are going to take up is authentic and carried out by certified yoga teachers.

yoga teacher training

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/19/2012 10:02am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I believe that flexibility training is massively underestimated and is often just grouped as "Stretching".

Posted On:
    4/19/2012 11:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenMMA View Post
    I believe that flexibility training is massively underestimated and is often just grouped as "Stretching".
    Yeah, not so much. The average person trained from public school gym class or kiddy karate is going to have more wrong beliefs about stretching than right ones. (Hint: that was me a couple years ago.)

I second the recommendations for Kurz. His Stretching Scientifically specifically addresses kickboxing.

Mobility WOD is great, as noted above, but requires a little bit of foreknowledge.

Yoga's great, but it's not ideal for Muay Thai flexibility as I understand.

I'll be reading Pavel's stuff shortly. Hopefully it has more of his extensive knowledge and less of his extensive marketing.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Posted On:
    4/20/2012 1:56pm

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am always wary about stretching advice because people so often stretch what they're best at or make a habit of stretching the things they think they think are important, but aren't. This is almost always the low back, which almost never needs stretching in any direction. ANYWAY...

Pavel's "Relax Into Stretch" is pretty excellent. I've read or watched most of his stretching material so it kind of blends together, but I have some vague general fondness for that book in particular.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    4/20/2012 2:48pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy Jazz View Post
    I am always wary about stretching advice because people so often stretch what they're best at or make a habit of stretching the things they think they think are important, but aren't.
    This is a great point.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/20/2012 2:52pm

Style: shotokan karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Third vote for Kurz.
    Detailed explanations of different types of stretching and simple daily programmes.
    I'm 49 years of age and can still do box and scissor splits.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/23/2012 2:11am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm glad I started reading about flexibility... I was bouncing in all my stretches before. Sheesh.

Posted On:
    5/23/2012 3:17am

Style: cdsfdgdfhgfj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi buddy,..
    Many benefits of the yoga exercise.It is the best exercise for keeping good fitness and health.
    It bring the flexibility in the body and good for blood circulation.It keep us mentally fresh and
    prepare any work.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12