Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/06/2012 2:42pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Flexibility training?

Heyo, I just started up with martial arts. I obviously have a lot of conditioning to do, but my main concern right now is my flexibility. There are, quite frankly, planks of wood more flexible than I am. As I'm going to be starting up Muay Thai pretty soon, I'd like to know any flexibility exercises that might help me get ready.

Oh, and if it makes any difference, I am not finished growing, in case it messes up bone growth and all that jazz.

Cheers!

Posted On:
    2/06/2012 3:47pm

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Take up yoga

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2012 5:32pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Buy the book "Stretching Scientifically" by Thomas Kurz, it will answer all your questions and more.

Yoga can be good, but to avoid injury you want to progress carefully and not get too caught up in doing certain difficult poses. Just like martial arts you need to take your time to find a good teacher as there are just as many crappy yoga instructors out there.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    2/06/2012 5:38pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What kind of martial arts are you doing? The flexibility needed for one may be different than another one. Taekwondo flexibility vs fencing flexibility, for example. Also, ask your instructor.

Posted On:
    2/06/2012 7:04pm

Style: Limalama, Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 307monkeys View Post
    Heyo, I just started up with martial arts. I obviously have a lot of conditioning to do, but my main concern right now is my flexibility. There are, quite frankly, planks of wood more flexible than I am. As I'm going to be starting up Muay Thai pretty soon, I'd like to know any flexibility exercises that might help me get ready.

Oh, and if it makes any difference, I am not finished growing, in case it messes up bone growth and all that jazz.

Cheers!
    Read slower Permalost.

Mrh80 of course there can be bad yoga instructors. You can also screw yourself up pretty good trying to learn out of a book. The concern you sited is exactly why a yoga instructor is a good idea so long as you find a good one, I forget that when someone suggests others take up something like yoga that those others do not understand I mean take a yoga class ;D

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2012 10:05pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of course, common sense which is unfortunately not so common. The book I recommended is good because it thoroughly explains the varies types of flexibility, how to safely train them and in what order. It also covers what happens in the body when you stretch. It does not have many stretches shown compared to others, but the things I mention make the book worth it.

My point is that a lot of people (teachers included) think the goal in yoga is progressing to more difficult poses which misses the point entirely. There is a lot of BS in the yoga world and it is harder than most think to find a good teacher. No need to be upset with my comment.
    Last edited by mrh80; 2/06/2012 10:12pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2012 4:37am

Style: Jhoon Rhee Tae-Kwon-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've never read any of Mr Kurz's work, but I do see the benefits in Pavel Tsatsouline's Relax Into Stretching. Or if you aren't looking to spend any money you might read into proprioceptive neuromuscular facilitation.

http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com...stretching.php

Posted On:
    2/07/2012 7:12am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You'll learn all you need to know once you start training. Your instructor should be accustomed educating newbs.

If you really want to get ahead you can always start with a basic toe touch hamstring stretch, it's hard to mess up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/02/2012 6:11pm

Style: Mixed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Take a look at ElasticSteel channel on youtube. You may have to look threw a few vids, but it's worth it.
    http://www.youtube.com/Elasticsteel

12th level logic wielder

Posted On:
    3/02/2012 7:19pm

Style: BJJ, judo, rapier

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrh80 View Post
    My point is that a lot of people (teachers included) think the goal in yoga is progressing to more difficult poses which misses the point entirely. There is a lot of BS in the yoga world and it is harder than most think to find a good teacher.
    On that note: How Yoga Can Wreck Your Body. More or less makes sense to me, though I make no pretence at expertise.

If you credit it, be skeptical of yoga teachers. Many of them, in any case, seem much more interested in healing energies and other superstitious bullshit than, say, anatomy
    [ petterhaggholm.net | blog | essays ]
    [ self defence: general thoughts | bjj: “don’t go to the ground”? ]
    “The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.”
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast